Profile for P. Kelly > Reviews

Content by P. Kelly

P. Kelly (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Pyramid Trek 100 (formerly Repel 100) Insect/Mosquito Repellent DEET Spray - 120ml
Offered by General Stores Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Maximum Strength Deet, 2 Jun. 2016
Used it in Thailand recently on holiday and although I still got a couple of mosquito bits I but this down to my lack of skill in applying it everywhere on exposed skin rather than the product. Deet is Deet (as a chemical) and this strength is the maximum you can get. I think Deet is so commonly used now we are starting to see some Deet resistant mosquitos. Like any Deet brand it makes a mess of plastic watches and clothing so care is needed. Will buy it again when fully used up.

G4free 25L Ultra Lightweight Tear & Water Resistant Handy Foldable Backpack (B-Blue)
Offered by TYFung

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Light and Versatile Bag For Touring., 2 Jun. 2016
We used this on Holiday in Thailand recently. Being water-proof and light it was perfect for using every-day on tours or just walking along the beach. I would not use it on a long hike as it really is made for being light and mobile. We put light waterproofs (paclite coat and trousers) and water bottles in it. Being a light blue is also useful as when you put it down (in restaurant or cafe for example), its clearly visible. Nice piece of kit.

Craghoppers Men's NosiLife Convertible Trousers - Black Pepper, 38" Waist
Craghoppers Men's NosiLife Convertible Trousers - Black Pepper, 38" Waist

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Thailand and together with the NosiLife shirt are an excellent combination. I like the pocket configuration in Craghoppers ., 2 Jun. 2016
Purchased a pair for a holiday in Thailand and together with the NosiLife shirt are an excellent combination. I like the pocket configuration in Craghoppers pants they are really useful for wallet and mobile phone etc. I have several normal pairs for hiking. I was walking in Rain-forests and zip wiring in a Jungle and these were perfect for such activities. Kept the Sun and Mosquitoes out as advertised. Great flexibility too having as long or short pants. Fully recommended

Craghoppers Mens Nosilife Lightweight Long Sleeved Casual Shirt (SolarDry UPF40+) (XL) (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... in a couple of Rain Forests and it was excellent. Although relatively heavy material you do not feel ..., 2 Jun. 2016
Used it on holiday in Thailand in a couple of Rain Forests and it was excellent. Although relatively heavy material you do not feel it during use. It does let moisture out to some degree. Kept the sun and mosquitoes out. It also looks smart particularly the white colour I purchased. The material does not Iron flat as a normal cotton shirt buts a small prize to pay and in a Rain Forest/Jungle who cares. Great product fully recommended.

L'Art Du Son Vinyl Record Cleaning Fluid Concentrate
L'Art Du Son Vinyl Record Cleaning Fluid Concentrate
Offered by Joe-Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs To Be Part of All Vinyl Record Cleaning Systems, 1 Aug. 2015
I have used this L’Art Du Son solution for several years as part of my multi-stage record cleaning system. I find it to be a very effective cleaner for vinyl records. In my experience it is more effective as part of a multi-stage system than just used alone as a one stop cleaning system. I dilute the concentrated solution with battery top up water (ex Halfords) and it works perfectly. Once vacuumed off and water washed there is absolutely no detectable audio contamination. I the store the diluted solution in a small 33cm3 glass bottle and cover it with Aluminium foil to ensure the solution is out of natural sunlight (as recommended in the instructions).

It is advertised as non-alcoholic based but I do use alcohol in my cleaning system (and have been doing for many years) so this not the prime attraction for me. It wets the vinyl very effectively in order to do its job of cleaning. It is to me the best I have used in what I call the ‘surfactant’ stage of the vinyl cleaning process.

It is supplied via Analogue Seduction (not Amazon Direct) but this company is the best on-line retailer I have come across. I have purchased many items from them. Any technical queries or issues they respond very quickly. So a double bonus, great product and supplier.
In conclusion, fully recommended as part of any vinyl record cleaning system.

Eva Advanced Water Filtration System (12Ltr Unit)
Eva Advanced Water Filtration System (12Ltr Unit)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Piece of Kit, 1 Aug. 2015
I live in a very hard water area and purchased one of these units about 2 years ago to have ‘soft water’. I am very happy with it. It has paid for itself easily in kettle cleaning and not having to use bottled water for making tea and coffee. I have only recently changed the cartridge. It is very easy to clean and it’s reasonably transportable in the various unit pieces (I use it outside the UK).

The only issue I have come across is the green algae growth in the unit, so I cover the water storage part in aluminium foil and that minimises the growth (out of direct sunlight). OK I accept I am not really putting the unit to extreme testing with river or stream water but it suits very the well the purpose I purchased it for.

Fully recommended, great piece of kit.

Goldring Exstatic Record Sleeves (25 PACK)
Goldring Exstatic Record Sleeves (25 PACK)
Offered by Analogue Seduction

5.0 out of 5 stars `Exstatic': Total Vinyl Record Medical Kit, 5 May 2015
I have been buying vinyl records since 1965 and throughout the decades one of the many frustrations (but there are many more) with this format is protecting these valuable pieces of polyvinylchloride (PVC-vinyl) from the basic elements. They scratch, collect dust and static charge very easily.

Even today with all the high technology available we still get new released vinyl in crazy tight fitting cardboard inner sleeves which mark the vinyl on release from the sleeve or thin paper that offers little or no protection. It is reassuring that there are companies like, `Goldring' still trying to cater for the vinyl enthusiast. All for less than a £ per sleeve, not much to protect those expensive, treasured vinyl records.

In my experience these paper, plastic lined vented sleeves are perfect as an inner sleeve for any 12inch vinyl. Why?

1. Once a vinyl is treated and neutralised from static no further charge builds up on the record.
2. The record is easily removed from the sleeve without touching the side walls reducing the risk of scratching.
3. With the bottom vents any debris collected can fall out of the sleeve reducing the risk of damage on removal from the sleeve.

If you buy second vinyl and use a liquid/vacuum machine to clean, it makes no sense using the old sleeve so here is the perfect solution.

I also collect Japanese pressings and I understand their plastic only sleeves are considered benchmark by many collectors. In my view the `Exstatic' sleeves are significantly better as they give more protection to the vinyl and all my Japanese sleeves go straight into the recycling chain.

In conclusion, a brilliant product and fully recommended for any 12inch vinyl.

Grado SR125e Prestige Series Open Backed Headphone
Grado SR125e Prestige Series Open Backed Headphone
Offered by HifiHut

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Pair of Headphones, 5 May 2015
I am a very big fan of Grado headphones and this the 5th pair I have purchased. I have used other brands but always seem to return to Grado as in my view they offer an excellent balance of comfort, performance and price.

This is my second pair of the 125 series. The previous pair was the older 125i model. I have used cheaper and more expensive Grado models vs the 125 model but I consider this model to be an excellent price/performance balance for computer/ipod listening.

I do not notice a big performance difference with this new e series vs the older model other than they seem a little mellower/smoother with the sound. The new e model does come with the 3,5mm PC jack vs the 125i, which had the HiFi 6.35m jack. However, both models give a really smooth, clear sound. I listen to a lot of rock music on my ipod and you get a very clean bass sound with the 125 model. I consider there is a step change in quality moving from the SR80s to the 125 model and paying this extra for the 125s is a good investment.

Like all headphones that are open they leak sound like a sieve so they need to be managed in public places. However, some sensible management of this situation does not distract from the pleasure of owning these headphones.

In conclusion, a brilliant pair of headphones and fully recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2015 4:53 AM BST

Copenhagen 1972 [VINYL]
Copenhagen 1972 [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Live in Copenhagen 1972 on Vinyl Records, 4 May 2015
This review is from: Copenhagen 1972 [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Another vinyl release in the excellent DP (Overseas) Live Series featuring the Copenhagen concert in 1972, three tracks from the TV covered New York Concert in 1973 and various radio edits from Australian tour in 1971. The Copenhagen and NY tracks were released a few years back on DVD under the tittle `Live in Concert 1972/73'.

This release contains 3 vinyl records (medium weight 140 to 144g my copies) housed in thick double gate-fold cardboard cover. Inner cover notes written by Geoff Barton and numerous photographs from the concert: very well done. Not very well done and disappointing again that the records are just protected with thin paper inner sleeves which I immediately changed for the antistatic, plastic lined, vented thicker paper. All three records are flat and the background noise is low.
The sound quality of the NY 73 tracks is better than the Copenhagen concert, which I class as acceptable. Both do not match the super audio sound captured on the 2014 re-mastered `Made in Japan' vinyl box set.

The highlights on this release are for me:

1. The rawness and energy of the three Machine Head tracks in the Copenhagen concert. They have not long been long part of the live set with the album still not in the shops at the time of the concert. Particularly Lazy sounds wonderful.
2. The Fireball track captured live is heavy, fast and furious.
3. The comparison between the two concerts with only just over 12months in time difference. In the 73 concert you can sense the intra-personality tension within the band but they manage to pull out some magnificent musical interchanges.

The radio records are interesting but in my view not essential. There is reference to an Australian concert in 1971 with DP, Free and Manfred Mann's Earthband on the bill, some concert line-up.

In conclusion, not an audiophile release but the sound quality is acceptable and like all the DP concerts in this series you get an appreciation of how brilliant they were live. Highly recommended release.

Long Beach 1971
Long Beach 1971
Offered by positivenoise

4.0 out of 5 stars Long Beach 1971 on Vinyl Record, 4 May 2015
This review is from: Long Beach 1971 (Audio CD)
The latest in the DP (Overseas) Live Series to be released is Long Beach 1971 taken from their USA tour supporting The Faces. It is a double LP on heavy weight vinyl (my copies 198 & 200g) in thick double-gate fold cardboard cover. There are some interesting notes on the inside covers about the songs on the album and an amusing newspaper article from the L.A. Times on the show.

Disappointing, but not usual with today's vinyl releases, the records are housed in thin paper sleeves, which I changed for my standard antistatic, plastic lined sleeves to give more protection. The records are flat and background noise is low. Four tracks in total cover each side of the album, which is positive that the record company has not reduced the quality by squeezing these long tracks onto a single album. The album was mastered by Martin Pullman, who did a great job on the 2014 Made in Japan vinyl release.

The sound quality is a bit inconsistent and clearly not as good as the recent Made in Japan release but overall it is acceptable. The amp volume needs to be moved up to get a decent level compared to other DP live albums I have. It is strange how they have structured the album: the introduction to each song by Ian Gillan is put after the opening number. So the opening verbal introduction for Strange Kind of Women on side B comes directly after the first track Speed King on side A etc. This takes a bit of getting used to.

Overall the music content, as to be expected is brilliant and captures the band where they were at their best, live on a stage. The highlights for me are a very intense, high energy, Speed King and a massive 24min musical jam in Mandrake Root. You get the impression they were out to impress with some brilliant high energy musicianship on the night. This release is also important as it captures the band between the in Rock and Machine Head era and to hear any decent recording of this wonderful DP Mark 2 band is a bonus.

In conclusion, a very welcome addition to the DP live series and I fully recommend this vinyl release.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6