Profile for S. Dryden > Reviews

Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England
Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England
by Neil McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!, 16 July 2013
`Outsider history', the story of a minority, is always one that that has fascinated me. I picked up Fanny & Stella because it seemed to fit such a genre, but what I got was so much more.

This is a wonderful piece of history, long overlooked, and it is all the better in the hands of Neil McKenna. I could not put this book down; the narrative is engaging and leads you through the events, I genuinely cared/care about these boys. After reading I even investigated works referenced by the author, and sites mentioned.

History is so often written by the victors. This piece of history is written with that fact very much in mind. This so easily could have been turned into a morality tale, a depressing, despairing account of two outsiders in Victorian England. Instead Neil McKenna has presented Fanny & Stella (Park & Boulton) as themselves, unapologetically and full of the camp these `boys in women's clothing' would have loved.

A must read.

Music For Confluence
Music For Confluence

5.0 out of 5 stars it's all in the title, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Music For Confluence (Audio CD)
Saw Peter play a year or so back at the Union Chapel. I didn't know anything about him or his music. Magic evening.
This was the first of Peters instrumental albums that I'd heard and everything you need to know about it is in the title.
Total treat, I've been trying to get my hands on all peters work since, an adventure all of it's own.

Weekend [DVD] [2011]
Weekend [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Tom Cullen
Offered by fat_buddha

5.0 out of 5 stars stripped, 29 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Weekend [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I'm not a big one for reviews, they are all subjective and do absolutely nothing but appeal to the scardy cat & dull at heart. See the film, make up you own mind!
That said.....I saw this when it was at the cinema and for a couple of days afterward it stayed with me. Its lush, atmospheric and has a stroke of realism to it that tinges the everyday once you leave it behind, in my view that's what good art does.

Gracious Tide, Take Me Home
Gracious Tide, Take Me Home

5.0 out of 5 stars set sail, 8 Oct. 2011
drift away in refletion on the waves of sound while being gently guided back to reality by amazing words. catch them live if you can, breath-taking stuff.

Totally F***ed Up [1994] [DVD]
Totally F***ed Up [1994] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gregg Araki
Offered by A2ZSupplies

3.0 out of 5 stars brilliant film, questionable copy quality, 23 Jan. 2010
i love this film. i had it on vhs and watched it at least once a week all through my late teens, something in it or about it really got to me, it's pretty raw and thats not somethiing you saw in alot of films back then.
the one really sad thing about the dvd copy is that it isn't the best quality, infact i'd say my old VHS copy, even after all the plays it's had, still has better image quality. I really hope Gregg Araki takes on a re-master of this like he did with The Living End

The Value of X
The Value of X
by Poppy Z. Brite

5.0 out of 5 stars Value of change, 1 April 2003
This review is from: The Value of X (Hardcover)
I was so excited to read this book being a huge Poppy Z Brite fan. I hadn't read or heard any reviews of the novel which made it all the more exciting when the novel arrived.
Any established fans getting this novel expecting serial killers, haunted houses or vampires may be disappointed, but anyone that loves the simple things in Mrs Brite's previous novels, like the kiss Ghost & Steve shared after a night out in New Orleans, will adore Value Of X. It's a love story, a beautiful and very real one. The book brought back memories of the days i was questioning my sexuality & trying to figure out just what was going on with my life. In alot of ways trying to figure out for myself...the value of X.
The book is full of Poppy Z Brite's amazing style of writing, and like her previous novels you just never want it to end. You must buy this book!