Profile for HighlandLass > Reviews

Unbroken
Unbroken
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Unbroken (Kindle Edition)
What a story! As a historian I had a vested interest and a background knowledge in the topic but I was not prepared for the sheer roller coaster of emotions that Louie's story takes you on.
What an inspiring tale of resilience in the worst circumstances imaginable. I had known a bit about the situations in Japanese camps before but I never imagined the horror of the reality. How anyone managed to survive such cruelty and deprivation is beyond me.
I highly recommend this book! But be prepared for tales of such unimaginable cruelty...

McFly - Unsaid Things...Our Story
McFly - Unsaid Things...Our Story
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprizingly Good, 20 May 2013
I read it because of interviews the guys have given- it seemed like it could be a riot and it was! The interaction between the guys and the relationship they have shines through. Reading about their dark times was inspiring as they discussed their feelings and the effects it had. It was fantastic to see how they have come through it and are stronger now.
Well worth a read!

Blade Runner
Blade Runner
by Oscar Pistorius

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, simply amazing, 26 Jun 2010
This review is from: Blade Runner (Paperback)
This should be read by anyone who is feeling hard done by or down on themselves.

It shows how we really can overcome anything that life throws at us. The guy really is an inspiration!

It's a very readable book that describes his emotions very well especially when he talks about his ban from 'able-bodied' competition. His fight against it shows how we should all react to things put in our path to stop us.

I love his philosophy on competition that it is only ever with yourself and that is the person you are trying to better.

I adore Oscar and definitely think his story should be shared with everyone. This book made me think and it made me admire this amazing guiy even more than I did before.

Thirteen Days [DVD] [2001]
Thirteen Days [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Kevin Costner
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS!!!!, 21 July 2003
This review is from: Thirteen Days [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
As a history student and a Kennedy fan this film was a must for me!! I was slightly dubious before watching this as to its historical accuracy but this film is by no means inaccurate. Yes there are a few embellished details but all in all this is almost accurate, The role of O'Donnell has been enhanced but the roles of Jack and Bobby Kennedy have been in no way exaggerated. They really were this important in pretty much saving the world from nuclear war!!
This film is a taut, gripping thriller, which even though most viewers will know the outcome of the crisis, still has you sat on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen and marvelling at how close we actaully came to nuclear war. The performances of the main stars has to be admired as all gave fine performances. Costner was fine as O'Donnell, though his accent was a little annoying. The real stars of the film, despite Costner's top billing, were Greenwood and Culp. Greenwood had quite obviously painstakingly studied tapes of Kennedy as his mannerisms were spot on and Culp as Bobby was completely fantastic. I had to look twice to check it wasnt actually Bobby Kennedy he had the mannerisms, attitude and even the voice off perfectly.
All in all this is a highly enjoyable film about a fascinating time that hasnt been ruined by the embellishments and fantascism of Hollywood! Well worth a look!

M*A*S*H - Season 1 (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [1972]
M*A*S*H - Season 1 (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [1972]
Dvd ~ Alan Alda
Price: 8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Comedy, 20 Jun 2003
My parents used to go on about how funny this show was and I never ever believed them, until I saw it. This show is just one of the funniesst ever made. The humour, apart from being laugh-out-loud funny, it is witty clever and very very dry, it just suits my sense of humour completely. I would recommend MASH to anyone, many people would discount this because of when it was made but I say dont knock something until you have tried because once you watch this once you will want to watch it again and again. Definitely well worth spending your money on!!!

Bounce & Bonus Trax
Bounce & Bonus Trax

5.0 out of 5 stars Boucing Back to Greatness, 23 April 2003
This review is from: Bounce & Bonus Trax (Audio CD)
This album is Bon Jovi back to their previous greatness. I have been a Bon Jovi fan since childhood and have loved almost every song they have ever done. People keep seeming to want them to change the music they write but why change something that isnt broken!!! They have written some of the greatest songs I have ever heard and some of the tracks on this CD could go down among some of the greatest they have ever written. No one and I mean no one can wirte a Rock Ballad like the Bon Jovi/Sambora partnership!!

We Were Soldiers [DVD] [2002]
We Were Soldiers [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars truly magnificent, 11 April 2003
This film is a true portrayal of the brutality of war. It does not celebrate or promote war. It is not completely gingoistic as it shows the Vietnamese in a light that has never before been used. It shows that both sides were fighting for their country and both sides had families waiting for them and the loss of life to the enemy was just as devastating as it was for the American soldiers and their wives and families. The characters in this story are true and the actions that some people have seen as being predictable and cliched actually happened and these men really existed. This film is the first I have seen that attempts to deal with the emotions of the people left behind. I would recommend this film to everyone as it shows the horror of war and the desperation and grief of those left behind. Watch this film with a box of tissues at the ready because it will make you cry, well it will if you have a heart.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars For those who believe first love never dies, 31 Mar 2003
I loved this movie! I'm a romantic at heart and this pulled every romantic string possible. Yes, the end is pretty predictable but you find yourself wanting it to happen, only the truly cynical won't. Melanie Carmichael (Reese Witherspoon) is a budding New York fashion designer, with the boyfriend to die for, Andrew, the most eligible bachelor in New York. He is a complete romantic and takes her to Tiffany's after hours to propose and lets her choose the engagement ring of her choice. What's a girl to do? Except say yes of course! But the supposed innocent southern belle has a few skeletons in her closet. For example, the fact that she is already married to her first love Jake (Josh Lucas). Jake is the total antonym of Andrew, he is everything that Andrew isn't. Andrew is rich, ambitious, popular and could give a girl everything she could ever want, whereas Jake, was too drunk to dance with Melanie at their wedding, has little money, and very few prospects. Melanie is torn between the two.
This film proves that true love can conquer all and despite setbacks, differences and relatives can prevail.