Profile for Jean Harlow > Reviews

Content by Jean Harlow

Jean Harlow "vintagefilm" (Kent, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Super Tiny Mini Small Compact Square Rectangle Cloakroom Basin Bathroom Sink Wall Hung 375 X 185 Right Hand
Offered by e-plumbshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Jun. 2015
Good quality. Works great. Price was £49.99 when I purchased it late 2014.

Trueshopping Bathroom Single Lever Mono Basin Mixer Tap High Quality Brass with Modern Chrome Finish
Offered by ATORRE SHOP

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality - bigger than expected!, 1 Jun. 2015
Great quality for the price. However it is much bigger than you think it will be! Looks a little funny perched on top of our compact cloakroom basin, but works fine for the money.

Deliciously Ella: Awesome ingredients, incredible food that you and your body will love
by Ella Mills (Woodward)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss, 28 April 2015
Had this book a couple of months so have had quite a bit of experience with it. Recipes are very hit and miss for me. The quinoa tabbouleh, roasted sweet potatoes, granola bars and courgette noodles are delicious. The sweet potato brownies, wild rice salad, tomato pasta, banoffee pie, flapjacks are all either inedible or ruined thanks to the inaccurate measurements listed.

I like the back story and she makes some interesting points, however the editor could have done a better job. There must be 500 mentions of the word "awesome" or "amazing", and the index at the back is atrocious. Good luck finding a specific recipe!

I don't think the recipes have been properly tested as the conversion of mug to the appropriate amount in grams does not convert properly.

Worth the £7.99 I paid for it, but quite disappointing. I think I'm more of a paleo girl as I don't understand cooks/chefs who lump eggs in the same unhealthy boat as the rest of dairy (an egg contains everything required to make a life...how can that be anything other than good for you?!).

Baby Jogger City Mini Double (Purple)
Baby Jogger City Mini Double (Purple)

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 20 Oct. 2014
I have only had this pushchair for one week but I am already in love with it.

Having a 20 month old and a newborn baby, I had to enter the world of the dreaded double buggy. I originally considered a P&T Navigator, however although the pushchairs where they sit underneath would be more convenient for me, I decided that the babies/kids would much prefer one where they could be side by side. I like the idea of them both having the same view and looking out into the world, rather than being low down so fully assaulted by car fumes and curious dogs.

After discounting the Navigator, my husband and I then considered the Bugaboo Donkey, which was beautiful but would have cost us 1500quid for the pram with all the accessories. Whilst chatting to the John Lewis staff, I was intrigued when the saleswoman said that if she had to buy a double buggy, the only one she would pick is the Baby Jogger City Mini Double, and with that she folded it in one easy movement and I was very quickly sold. I don't think it's the most attractive pushchair in the world, but in terms of value and ease, it's brilliant.

We also for the parent console for going on the back handlebar. This works great. It is hard to access the basked underneath, but the pram glides beautifully, the canopies pull down very far, and my little boy loves sitting next to his baby brother in it.

BTW save yourself the money and don't buy the carrycot for the newborn. The seat lies flat anyway and buy the lovely John Lewis universal sheepskin footmuff for the same money - you'll be able to use it far longer than the carrycot which quickly becomes redundant!

The Gro Company Gro Anywhere Blackout Blind
The Gro Company Gro Anywhere Blackout Blind

2.0 out of 5 stars Would help if the suckers worked..., 22 Sept. 2014
Yes, it is blackout fabric, but the suckers don't work! Completely rubbish when fixing to a warm window (which is obviously going to be warm if it is sunny which is why you use a blackout blind!).

The Ultimate Book of Vehicles
The Ultimate Book of Vehicles
by Anne-Sophie Baumann

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 Jun. 2014
Great book. Informative, imaginative, hours of fun. Quite a large book so not suitable for taking out and about. My son loves it.

Tomy 296ml Sippy Cup (Pack of 5)
Tomy 296ml Sippy Cup (Pack of 5)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish... They spill!, 11 Jun. 2014
Completely useless. I buy a non spill cup for one purpose...and these spill! They leak even when the top is firmly on, and woe betide anyone whose kid drops one of these from a highchair... DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Red Castle CocoonaBaby with Fitted Sheet Fleur de Coton (White)
Red Castle CocoonaBaby with Fitted Sheet Fleur de Coton (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best baby purchase of them all, 30 May 2014
This was the best purchase I made for my first baby. He was in it from the day he was born until he could turn over at 4 months. It makes much more sense to me when you think of how a baby spends nine months curled up in the womb, and then from day 1 of being born, they are made to lie outstretched on a flat surface. No wonder the reviews for this are always glowing! He slept beautifully from the beginning, sleeping through the night from three months. Perhaps he would have done so even without this product, but I recommended the Cocoona to all my friends whose babies struggled to sleep and they all loved it as much as me.

It works brilliantly if you like the baby to be in your bed, as there is no danger of you crushing them by rolling over. It also makes for a great travel bed - you just carry it about with you.

The strap was a later addition to the product - I never used one for mine and never had a problem. We knew when he had outgrown it when we walked in after his nap and he had turned on his front!

(We bought a used mattress on ebay for £60 and then bought brand new sheets - it is a wipeable mattress so no fears of it having been soiled)

MIMOS Baby Pillow (XL) for flat head (Plagiocephaly) - Air flow Safety (Anti-suffocation TUV certification) - Size XL (1- 10 months) .....
Offered by MIMOS Baby Pillow for Plagiocephaly Flat Head Prevention

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy money but works!, 25 Jan. 2014
Bought this when my son was 3 months old as he was getting a flat head. Within a couple of weeks this was working, and now a year later, his head is totally fine. Cannot believe how expensive it is for what it is....but I would rather pay the money than go down the helmet route!

The Gentle Birth Method: The Month-by-month Jeyarani Way Programme
The Gentle Birth Method: The Month-by-month Jeyarani Way Programme
by Dr. Gowri Motha

5.0 out of 5 stars Requires commitment but worth it, 25 Jan. 2014
I purchased this book in my second month of pregnancy, and overall, I think it is a superb book for a mum to be. I felt very strongly about researching as much as I could about giving birth and what my options would be. I wanted to retain as much control as possible so that I didn't fall into blind panic, and this book really helped me prepare.

The diet is fairly easy to follow in my opinion. Cut out a lot of unnecessary carbs, such as bread and white, beige food (already known to be bad for you). It gives a list of food to avoid such as preserved meats, red meat, and certain fruits that are high in sugar like mangoes. Good foods include brown rice, steamed veg, chicken, pears, fish etc. i tried to stick to the guidelines as much as possible, although I struggled to cut out sugar completely as I developed one helluva sweet tooth during pregnancy.

I tried to incorporate yoga as the book suggested. Although I like the idea of yoga in theory, in practice I find it very boring, and so I wasn't the best student. I stayed as active as I could though - brisk walks, always walked up escalators, took the stairs instead of the lift.

A lot of the recommendations could be expensive. Who has time and money for reflexology every week? Plus hypnobirthing classes or Jeyerani practices? I didn't incorporate hardly any of these practices (one reflexology appt at 40 weeks), neither did I do many of the visualisation techniques.

The book recommends massaging the perinueum, which I did from 35 weeks onwards with a little oilve oil after a bath each night.

The book recommends a few homeopathic herbs to take. I splurged a little and bought them direct from the Gentle Birth Method website - the salt programme, the Dhanwantaram pills, digestive enzymes, the Baladi Choornam drink, the herbal tea (false unicorn root, squaw vine leaves, cramp cut bark, raspberry leaf). From 30 weeks onwards, I also chose to take one raspberry leaf tablet, one evening primrose tablet, and two cups of raspberry leaf tea a day. This was not something specifically recommended from the book, rather a recommendation from my mum who took raspberry leaf with her pregnancies and had very fast labours.

So did it work?

In a nutshell, I think it definitely helped. Throughout my pregnancy I had a lot of energy and kept very flexible - I was scrubbing floors at full term, and could easily bend down to pick something up (which amazed my friends). I had to be induced as I went to 42 weeks, but my contractions started five minutes after having the pessary (very rare apparently), and my son was born exactly five hours later. I went from 4cm to 10cm in half hour, and the pushing stage took just twenty minutes. I think it was a combination of the homeopathic remedies, doing regular exercise, trying to eat a balanced diet without the bad stuff, and the raspberry leaf which helped me have a good labour with only gas and air for pain relief, and only a tiny tear.

I really think that researching as much as you can about the birth will help your frame of mind, and I think this book is well worth getting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2015 9:22 AM GMT