Profile for BookAddictShaun > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
The House on the Hill
The House on the Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars League of its own, 13 Sep 2014
I read a book called Stars Are Stars in my mid-teens and was blown away by it. As I was born and continue to live in Liverpool I was on the hunt for fiction by local authors set in the city and found some of Kevin Sampson's books at the library. I absolutely devoured them over the course of a couple of weeks but Stars Are Stars remains my favourite. Sampson has a fantastic ability to write about real characters, often flawed, and put them into incredibly realistic situations that have you experiencing every emotion you could possibly experience whilst reading a book.

Sampson's more recent work was a long time coming but The Killing Pool did not disappoint. Now optioned for a TV series hopefully the small screen can replicate the brilliance of that novel and shine a light on a local talent I think deserves to be read in the millions. Praise aside how does book two fare? Incredibly well is the answer. In crime fiction it is often the case that you get the bog standard detective but every so often someone comes along and creates someone completely unique, fascinating and just so enjoyable to read about. That character goes by the name of Mac, or to give him his full title: DCI Billy McCartney. As this is the second in a planned series there's so much more yet to learn and discover about Mac and I cannot wait but at the same time this can be read as a standalone (but I urge you to read book one first).

I was a bit apprehensive about the book after reading the plot. I really want more crime fiction set in Liverpool yet the action here takes place in Ibiza and Morocco. That said I was hooked after just a few pages so any apprehension vanished as quick as it came. The atmosphere created by Sampson in both settings is amazing, for someone who often has trouble picturing the scene in my head I could picture it vividly reading this book to the point it was almost like a film. People often turn their noses up when you say a book can be better than a TV show or a film but that's the case here. The blurb gives quite a bit away, certainly for the first chunk of the book meaning that I was itching to get to the present day to continue the story and see where it would lead.

The scenes in this book are just how I want my crime fiction served. Brutal. Gritty. Nasty. Ultimately it all serves to improve the story making it all the more hard hitting and leaving more of an impact on the reader. There are no chapters, just parts which means for someone like me who cannot put down a book mid chapter that would ordinarily be quite annoying however such is the addictiveness of this book it took me just a few sittings to read so there was very little putting down. Action packed is one way to describe this book, it does not let up making for a very fast paced and hugely enjoyable read. This book has left me itching to continue Mac's story and full of excitement to see The Killing Pool on TV. I'm not someone who takes notice of sales figures or awards etc but crime fiction of this calibre doesn't come along all that often and when it does it deserves to be read and so I hope crime fans everywhere have this book on their reading list.

Hunter Killer: Danny Black Book 2
Hunter Killer: Danny Black Book 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, 13 Sep 2014
It has been a while since I last read a Chris Ryan book yet after finishing Hunter Killer I am only kicking myself and asking why. Drawing on his experiences and vast knowledge of the areas he writes about, Chris writes stories which are vividly descriptive and scarily all too believable. The story told here was both relevant and frightening but near impossible to put down.

It continues the story of SAS hero Danny Black who previously appeared in Masters of War. I haven't read that book but didn't feel too much out of place as there's plenty of background given to get the reader up to speed. Following a suicide bombing in Central London Danny and his friend Spud are recruited to assassinate the men responsible for the attack before going after the main man Abu Ra'id on a journey that takes them from London to Yemen and back again on what really is a thrilling, fast paced and truly unputdownable read. Almost like a film in parts it was hugely enjoyable.

The very idea of another terrorist attack in London is horrifying and something we hope never to see, the scenes depicted here are quite brutal and not for the faint hearted. Danny and Spud are recruited by various senior members of MI5, MI6 and the CIA. Some of the characters are definitely a bit shady and leave you wondering whether they might have a hidden agenda or two. As the book went on I was both mesmerised and horrified at the situations that unfolded. Conspiracy theories and cover ups galore it was a thought provoking read.

What I particularly like is the way Chris adds humour into the story. Despite the job they have been given and the often life threatening situations the pair find themselves in, there's still an element of banter between them which helps lighten an otherwise quite serious novel. Alongside that also is the danger Danny's girlfriend Clara finds herself in thanks to his out of control brother. All of this culminates in creating a 400+ page novel yet for me the pages turned themselves and I couldn't read quick enough. A book not to miss for die hard fans or those new to the genre/author. Also I really like the cover, probably one of my favourites of the year so far!

Thanks to Hodder (via bookbridgr) for the review copy.

The Winter Foundlings (Alice Quentin Book 3)
The Winter Foundlings (Alice Quentin Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 13 Sep 2014
Firstly how have I not heard of this author before? This is probably one of the best books I've read so far this year and I am already considering ignoring my review TBR so that I can get my hands on Kate's previous books. A faultless novel is a rare thing but Kate Rhodes has achieved one with The Winter Foundlings. From the book's chilling opening until its heart stopping finale Kate had my heart in a vice-like grip and didn't let it go until the final page. I occasionally finish a book that leaves me wishing I was better at writing reviews, this is one of those books.

Plot wise I very rarely talk further than the blurb in my reviews anymore but when the body of a young girl is found on the steps of the Foundling Museum it becomes clear that somebody is carrying on the work of Britain's most prolific child killer, Louis Kinsella. Alice Quentin is the psychologist sent to question Kinsella. Kinsella is evil, even more scary because of how relaxed and in control he is. Alice and the police attempt to piece together various puzzle pieces in their attempt to stop the killer before more young children are killed. As a prolific reader of crime fiction I'm very much of the belief that you should trust nobody. For that reason I suspect every character we meet. The problem with that? Overlooking one or two...

The book isn't for the faint hearted. The murder and abduction of children is always difficult to read about, in fiction and in real life yet this novel actually felt like real life. It was a very realistic tale and that makes it all the more haunting, hard hitting and leaves one hell of an emotional impact. The story is told in a way that will have parents cuddling their children extra tight before bed and making the rest of us feeling grateful for our safety... Even the cover is chilling with the shoes in the snow. Rest assured though that despite the book's nature, this is a book you wont want to put down. I mostly waited to read it at night, adding to the atmosphere it definitely had me well and truly scared in places.

Despite being the third book in the series Rhodes does a fantastic job of continuing Alice Quentin's story for returning readers but at the same time she doesn't alienate new readers and there was never a time where I felt out of place in the book. In actual fact I warmed to Alice quite quickly, she reminded me a little of Lynda La Plante's Anna Travis personality wise. Enough detail is given about previous books without whole plots being given away and it's definitely done in a way that will make new readers want to read the previous books ASAP. Moving at a quick pace with increasing tension throughout the pages turn themselves and before you know it the book is over however this is a story that will remain with you long after you have finished reading. The use of stars as a rating system for books is flawed when I look at some of my other 5 star ratings, for that reason there's no hesitation in making this book the latest addition to my Hall of Fame.

Thanks to Hodder (via bookbridgr) for the review copy.

The Wolf: A Novel
The Wolf: A Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Wolf: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Lorenzo Carcaterra is one of my favourite authors and a new book has been a long time coming and I'm glad to say that it did not disappoint. If ever a book was just perfect to be made into a film then it is this one. There's so many scenes and lines that could be quoted it's ridiculous. I went into this book hoping for something similar to one of my favourite books of all time, The Godfather and it was.

The idea is Vincent Marelli (The Wolf) heads up a crime syndicate formed of all the various crime families and organizations around the world. They control pretty much everything and take a dollar from virtually every transaction in the world. They deal with insane amounts of money and up to now it has been a success. Then Vincent's wife and daughters die when a plane is taken over by terrorists. Meanwhile the Russians are funding terrorists to carry attacks out around the world and Vincent wants to stop this whilst at the same time avenging the death of his family.

The chapters from the point of view of the Wolf were almost like the narration of a film - you could almost hear Vincent's voice in your head whilst at the same time vividly picturing the scenes he was telling you about. That for me added to the excitement of the novel and made it seem more authentic and 'real', yes it's fiction but at times it came across as fact as the character of Vincent was so well created.

The idea of an organization like this is both fascinating and horrifying. It would change the world as we know it in good ways but mostly in bad ways. On paper the idea works but what are the realistic chances of the Yakuza, Triads, Greeks etc all pooling their resources together? Very slim and so for that reason there is a definite suspension of belief regarding that aspect but this is fiction and definitely not a reason to criticize the book.

The story moves at an extremely fast pace with alternative chapters from Vincent, some members of his crew, Vladimir - the Russian funding the terrorist attacks and Raza, a terrorist Vincent is determined to take down. The death toll is massive but ultimately it all adds to the excitement of the novel helping to make it as action packed as possible. With all the crime bosses working together there's obviously going to be clash of egos and opinions and that's where the conflict comes in. Who can Vincent trust not to stab him in the back? People all have their own agendas and that makes for a more exciting read because we know there's a threat from the Russians and terrorists but what about the people he is supposed to be able to trust?

What I would have liked is for the book to have been longer. This would have allowed for the characters' back-stories to have been expanded more or for the overall story to have been expanded. It wasn't rushed by any means but I was gutted when the book was over and could have read for a lot longer. The two characters that were the most well created were Vincent and Angela Jannetti (known as The Strega). Angela leads the Camorra and despite being on the same side her and Vincent were once in love but both would ultimately have one day became the 'boss' and how could that have worked were they husband and wife? Their relationship was electric and very intense on the page and their history was so well told that again it could almost be factual rather than a work of fiction.

I finished this book long before I was ready to leave the characters behind and for that reason I can only hope that there's a second book featuring the Wolf and that it comes soon. There's so many questions still requiring answers and scores still to be settled and in my opinion this series has legs and could become huge and I can't wait to see how it will all play out. Definitely a book not to miss.

Pop Goes the Weasel: DI Helen Grace 2 (Dci Helen Grace 2)
Pop Goes the Weasel: DI Helen Grace 2 (Dci Helen Grace 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 13 Sep 2014
I wanted to read the first book in this series, Eeny Meeny before Pop Goes the Weasel but unfortunately didn't have time. This book gives away major plot details about Eeny Meeny that while you could still read it after this, it would probably take some of the enjoyment out of it as it sounds like it was an action packed read. The same can be said for this book, it was gripping, original and very hard to put down - I read the first 200 pages in one sitting.

It's hard to know where to start really. Perhaps with our main character Helen Grace, a woman with a troubled past, a trouble present and an unclear future she's damaged both from her past and the events of the Eeny Meeny which resulted in her near death. The case opened her up to the public thanks to an ambitious journalist at the local newspaper. Despite all these secrets however we learn that she's got even more as we see her following a young man one night but have no idea why...

When the body of a man is found in an abandoned house with his heart missing it becomes clear that he was visiting a prostitute. His heart is then delivered to his family. I'm just going to say it, this is absolutely how I love my crime fiction. Bloody, gory and terrifying. When more bodies turn up it is up to Helen and her team to hunt the killer down and stop further killings. In a twist on the usual murder of prostitutes who could be murdering their clients? We learn early on a big clue as to who it is but still we are left wondering why? And how many more bodies there will be...

Also returning to work is Charlie and Helen appears quite hostile and unwilling to have her back on her team. For returning readers this will all be clear but it just intrigued me more. As the book progresses so does their relationship and it was certainly an interesting dynamic within the story. In crime fiction especially it can be difficult for authors to create characters that are unique but Arlidge manages it here. Both Helen and Charlie have their demons and are extremely interesting characters.

The book moves at a quick pace as the bodies pile up and the police begin to close in on the killer. Despite having to read this on my iPad I couldn't put it down, it was a read in a couple of sittings book for me. The writing is superb, subtle in places yet packing the punch needed when required. Also the chapters are relatively short which usually helps me storm through a book a lot faster. After the mixed reviews for Eeny Meeny I was unsure about this book but having finished it I have no trouble in recommending it. I'm wondering how the series will progress onwards from this, I don't want each book to be the same but want them to retain the bloodiness and fast pacedness of this novel.

Oh and this book has had me whistling 'Pop Goes the Weasel' for days now...

Thanks to Penguin UK for the review copy via NetGalley.

Taking Hollywood
Taking Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Kindle Edition)
I've wanted to read this book ever since I saw the cover a few months ago so I was very excited to receive a review copy. My favourite author is Jackie Collins and if you removed the author's name from the front of this book you would instantly think it was a Collins novel from the fantastic cover. The book has also been endorsed by Jackie herself so I was even more excited to read it. I went into it with very high expectations and I'm glad to say it did not disappoint.

The book encompasses everything I look for in a book like this. Mystery: our three main characters Zander Leith, Mirren McLean and Davie Johnston each share a secret. A secret that at first bound them together but ultimately drew them apart. Scandal: each of our main characters experiences their own scandal which sees the start of their lives falling apart around them in dramatic fashion. Straightaway as a reader I was desperate to know what the secret was. We learn more about our three characters by going back in time to when they first met in Scotland until we eventually learn their secret. It's jaw dropping... Meanwhile in Scotland an ambitious young journalist is on the hunt for the story that will make her career. She arrives in LA determined to uncover the trios secret. I loved that we got to see LA through the eyes of somebody who wasn't a part of that world and wondered how long it would take before she got sucked in to it too.

Of course our three main characters have friends, family, children, managers, lovers, enemies and all are brought together to make one hell of an eventful story. Books like these are so action packed that it's impossible to discuss the plot, all I can say is that it's good. Really good. There's so many plot twists and shocking developments your brain may struggle to keep up but it's such an enjoyable read. Jackie Collins says she writes about real people and has to tone her stories down or they would just be too unbelievable. Is that the case here? Ross King must certainly have his fair share of secrets stored in his head. We know he doesn't dish the dirt on his friends but that's not to say he hasn't picked up a juicy tidbit or two along the way and you do have to wonder about certain characters and storylines...

Los Angeles is a city full of fake people looking out for themselves and nobody else and yet it has always been fascinating to outsiders. Some people will seemingly do anything to be a part of that world, but once you are in it is incredibly easy to fall in with the wrong crowd, get caught up in it all and ultimately have your life destroyed and not only that have it splashed all over the media for your so called friends and enemies to take some perverse pleasure out of as our three characters learn in this book. You can't trust anybody in LA and that's definitely the case here.

There's a whole lot of name dropping and place dropping but to be honest I read these books for the glamour, the bitchiness, the over the top storylines and the outrageous situations the characters find themselves in. We get all of those things here and then some. The best word to describe this book is addictive. Addictive and almost impossible to put down. The writing is fantastic, very bitchy in places with some fabulously cutting remarks and one liners. I have no hesitation in recommending this book. It will keep you guessing right the way up to the book's fantastic finale. It is the perfect Summer read featuring a story you will not want to end. I would love to see more from this writing duo in the future and given that Ross says this is the first in a trilogy I think we will!(less)

The Doll Maker (Byrne and Balzano)
The Doll Maker (Byrne and Balzano)

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 14 Aug 2014
It's been a few years since I read a Montanari novel but when I saw it on Netgalley I didn't hesitate to request so thanks to the publishers for the approval. Kevin Byrne and Jessica Balzano are two of my favourite fictional detectives. They are the police officers you would want helping you or your family if ever you were in a situation that called for homicide detectives. They both live for their job and when on a case care about little else but solving it, bringing peace to both the victims and their families. This has never been evident more than with this book. Byrne especially went above and beyond, I can't elaborate but all will become clear when you read!

In the opening chapters we meet Annabelle and Mr Marseille who kidnap a young girl. This young girl is then found by a train station sitting on a bench, dead. A note is found at the scene inviting the reader to a tea dance in seven days time. When the seven days pass two more bodies are found this time it's twins set up on swings, with an actual doll replica of the dead girl in the room with them. During the investigation we meet the parents of the victims who appear to have something to hide, but we don't know what. However it is the similarities between these murders and the murders carried out by Valerie years earlier that has Kevin Byrne eager to find out more, especially as Valerie's date for the death penalty is just around the corner.

As always it's hard to talk about the plot without giving things away. I do have to say that I did work out a pretty major plot twist in who the killers were and why however it was still enjoyable reading the book to see how right I was and how the whole thing would unravel. Mr Marseille and Annabelle are strange individuals, they see what they are doing not as murder but almost as something good. Annabelle herself is pretty confused when it's referred to as murder. Byrne becomes consumed with the Valerie case and how it all connects, the scenes with him in Valerie's old house were particularly atmospheric and gripping and wove history with the present perfectly. It's definitely a book that you won't want to put down until the very end. As far as twists and turns go this book is bursting with them. Plenty of shocks along the way.

Byrne and Balzano both face huge changes in their personal life in this book too but again to say any more would ruin it. Balzano's change is pretty huge and should lead nicely into the next book and I think make for some pretty interesting developments. In long running series it's always hard to keep things original and fresh but Montanari does not seem to have that problem and I am hugely excited for the next book to continue the story of these two excellent characters. A very enjoyable read and one of my favourites of the year so far. I'll definitely have to try and go back and read the books I've missed in the series.

Point Us to Paris (Summer Flings, Book 3)
Point Us to Paris (Summer Flings, Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars The adventure continues..., 14 Aug 2014
Okay so I don't like Paris but I did really like this book. I think that's more to do with Aimée's writing and the characters that she has created more than the city itself though... This installment to me felt shorter than the others, or maybe it's the fact that I'm now so addicted to the series that I'm reading them too fast. Either way this installment was just as exciting as the last and as with the previous two ends on a cliffhanger leaving you desperate to have the next one which given that the point of releasing them this way is to achieve that, well it's job well done!

Ciara would love to be anywhere other than Paris as she is trying to forget Zack and seeing all the loved up couples that flock to the city isn't really going to help with that. Despite the fact that it's glaringly obvious how perfect Ciara and Zack are for each other (he calls her Ireland fgs) she is adamant that she doesn't want a relationship and is happy to settle for a holiday romance. Gem and Elle are determined to show Ciara a good time whilst in Paris but once again something happens which leaves you wanting to shake some sense into Ciara (though that's probably the superficial side of me). That said I am loving the character development of Ciara after the three books, the way she has been brought up and her past has made her the way she is and she's definitely an intriguing character.

If you thought the events of the previous books were eventful then the ones here are even more so. A series of funny and ridiculous situations leading towards the books frustrating yet exciting cliffhanger. I'm especially excited for the next book given that it takes place in Greece. Because the books are so short certain elements can feel a bit rushed, however the books are still immensely enjoyable and are perfect Summer reads as they can be read in around half an hour. Can't wait to see where the story goes next and I've got my fingers crossed that the eventual conclusion to the series is the one I am hoping for!

Thanks to Aimée for the review copy

Fall From Grace: David Raker Novel #5 (David Raker 5)
Fall From Grace: David Raker Novel #5 (David Raker 5)
by Tim Weaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim's best yet. Gripping, thrilling, just incredible., 14 Aug 2014
Thanks to the publisher for the review copy

Wow. This book has left me reeling and in a state of shock. I write reviews straight after finishing a book when my thoughts are fresh. To say I was excited for this book would be somewhat of an understatement, it was one of my most anticipated books of the year and it did not disappoint! It is Tim Weaver's best book yet. It is also my Book of the Month for August (and it's only the 10th as I write this) and after reading 120+ books this year it is in my top three. At almost 600 pages I would usually pass on a book but Tim doesn't waste a single page. This man could write a 1000 page book and I'd pick it up. It really was that good and I just wish I could put into words just how much I loved it. I'll give it a go...

Where to even start? I guess with David Raker himself, our main character. An author has done their job when you actually care for a fictional character. When you feel like you know them as I do with Raker. If ever someone I loved was missing I would want someone like Raker looking for them. His job is all he lives for yet the events of the previous book to this (Never Look Back) have left him reevaluating that, won't say why for new readers but it's certainly adding an interesting dynamic to the story. Raker is so good at what he does. Leaving no stone unturned he looks at things from every possible angle and asks questions I wouldn't even think of asking.

The atmosphere created by Weaver in these novels is just second to none. Better than any film at times it was like I was living it for myself. I read this book at night and the smallest sound made me jump. It's a book you read with your heart in your mouth. I especially like that a chunk of the action took place in London but the scenes outside the city were just brilliant. Scary and dangerous situations you would hate to find yourself in but you can't turn the pages quick enough.

As for the plot, well it would absolutely ruin the reading experience to talk about it further than what the blurb tells us. Leonard Franks has been missing for nine months, his family have exhausted all their options and turn to Raker. Raker begins to investigate whether Franks left of his own accord or whether something more sinister happened. Whether or not he's even still alive. Weaver's books are a favourite of mine because they are bursting with secrets and shocks, well we get our first shock quite early on in the book when Raker first takes on the case.. Agh! Saying no more. As the book progresses the shocks keep on coming. I just had no idea where this story was going or which characters I could trust. I basically just read these novels trusting Raker and nobody else. The story here is one of the finest I've ever read, a true mystery that really gets your brain ticking. I don't think I got a single plot twist in this book, not because I'm stupid but because Tim somehow managed to keep every single one under wraps until revealing them in dramatic fashion. Consider my mind blown.

Tim has surpassed himself with this book. His previous books have been fantastic, each one an improvement on the last but this is in a league of its own. The plot twists and shocks in this book do not stop coming, I just left my jaw hanging for the last few chapters as I knew it would just keep dropping, right up until the book's thrilling and dramatic finale, ending on an absolute shocker of a cliffhanger and us Weaver fans are in for one hell of a torturous wait for the next book. It's not often a book can be described as a masterpiece, but this one can. Absolutely faultless. This book has reminded me why I read, and should be used as an example to people that don't. Why wouldn't you want to read when there's books like this in the world? Amazing.

Misbehaving in Miami (Summer Flings, Book 2)
Misbehaving in Miami (Summer Flings, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 11 Aug 2014
So I loved Trouble in Tinseltown and couldn't wait to get my hands on Misbehaving in Miami. Continuing from Chapter 4 the book is cut up into sections and as such you absolutely have to read Trouble in Tinseltown first and this review will inevitably contain spoilers from that book. Ordinarily I am not a fan of books that have been chopped up but being released as Summer Flings, with fantastic titles and amazing covers it absolutely works here and I'm definitely a fan of how these books are being released. Perfect for the commute, in the bath, before bed, waiting for the tea to cook... They take about half an hour to read so can be read anywhere!

Aimée has definitely chosen the two best places to kick off the story. I love LA and Miami and would love to visit them one day. From the descriptions of the city to the fantastic food I was literally salivating and felt as if I was there myself. Ciara, Elle and Gem are out for some fun and once again find themselves in some hilarious situations.

Ciara however is still having trouble thinking about where she wants to go in life and there is also the small problem of not being able to get her best friend's cousin, Zack out of her mind. So it's not all fun and games there is a serious side to this story and even after a short amount of time I absolutely love Ciara. She's Irish so wins bonus points for that and there's an air of mystery around her and we are slowly learning more about her.

I also found myself feeling jealous of the girls in these fabulous locations and even more so knowing there is more to come. A holiday is just what I need right now but it looks like I'll have to settle for following these three hilarious ladies around the world.

With these being short stories I imagine a lot of people will be reading them on the Tube, or on buses and certain scenes will definitely have you hot under the collar. I'm certainly looking at ice cream in a whole new way that's for sure. Again though it's not all just sex and fun the relationship between Ciara and Zack is believable and at times intense and you definitely find yourself rooting for the two of them as we learn more about them and their pasts. As a reader I was screaming for them to get together.

Aimée is hugely talented in her ability to have us relate to and care for her characters after just a few pages and to also have us glued to the book after a few pages. So engrossed was I in the story that I was trying to turn the page only to see the book was over. And that's why this just works so well as a serialisation. Like Ciara you are left gagging for more and despite not being a huge fan of Paris I cannot wait to carry on reading the next installment! Not much else I can say to reccommend this book except a short story has to be pretty good to get 5 stars from me and I didn't even have to question giving them to this book.

Thanks to Aimee for the review copy

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17