Profile for BookAddictShaun > Reviews

The Spice Box Letters
The Spice Box Letters
by Eve Makis

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible. A must read., 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Spice Box Letters (Paperback)
Having tried to write this review for ages now, I just can't seem to put my thoughts into words without giving away spoilers, or without feeling as if I haven't done the book justice. So I'm just going to write and hope it makes sense.

When Katerina's grandmother Mariam dies she leaves behind a wooden spice box, containing letters and a diary written in Armenian. Katerina travels to Cyprus where she meets Ara who starts to translate the diary for Katerina, revealing secrets that Mariam had kept to herself her whole life. A life that started with her being exiled from her home in Turkey and separated from her brother Gabriel, her life then marred by grief and the loss of her first love.

The Spice Box Letters is being published in 2015 to mark the centenary year of the Armenian genocide. I am ashamed to admit that I don't know all that much about that time, and whilst the book was difficult reading in places, it was absolutely necessary to highlight the pain and suffering these people went through, and makes the emotional connection that I felt as a reader to these characters all the more powerful. The characters in this book are fictional, but the basis for the story lies in fact and the story has so much more of an impact because of that. It is an incredibly realistic read, the research having gone into the book evident on every page, but it never felt like a history lesson, though I learnt a lot whilst reading this thought-provoking book. This is a timely and important release highlighting and making sure people never forget about this tragedy.

With mostly short chapters in the beginning we go back and forth between time periods quite often, but I found this worked very well, especially in the beginning as we were just getting to know Katerina. We would have extracts from Mariam's diary, before quickly moving back to the present day. Mariam's story was quite difficult to read in places, so not having the whole thing told to you at once helped break the story up, and allowed us to see Katerina's reaction, and the impact that the diary began to have on her own life. I wish I could talk about all of the characters in this book, but that would definitely ruin the story for readers, as this is a book you should all discover for yourselves. It's sad how different the story could have turned out for certain characters but that's why the story is so believable, with so many families torn apart perhaps living around the world unaware of where their siblings, parents or friends were after this awful tragedy.

Eve Makis is a truly wonderful writer, and the book is beautifully descriptive when Eve is talking about Cyprus, which is my favourite place in the whole world. She really captures the setting, and I loved her descriptions of the food consumed by her characters. I was practically salivating reading about all the foods that I love so much. On the other hand her harrowing descriptions of the genocide, the horrible deaths of the characters, and the emotional turmoil those who survived went through left a lump in my throat, and towards the end of the book tears streamed down my face I'm not ashamed to admit. The book is an emotional read, but there's also positives to be taken from it as well. For me it's not to take life for granted, to appreciate the loved ones that we do have in our lives, and in the case of Mariam, I would perhaps say it's about finding the bravery to share those secrets you might be hiding, before it's too late, as it was for Mariam.

I'm not very good with words, so I'll just share this quote from Eve's website which I feel explains what the book is essentially about, better than I can!

"I would like to think of the book as a spice box, not only peppered by tragedy, but also evoking a distinct sense of culture through food, folklore and customs, an attempt to balance a dark, turbulent past with a lighter, more hopeful present. It is essentially a story about intimate family secrets, slowly unraveled and the enduring quality of love."

The Spice Box Letters is probably one of the best books that I have ever read, and if it doesn't make my Top 5 Books of the Year, I'll be very surprised. I honestly can't recommend this book enough, it is absolutely incredible and I urge anybody who is reading this review not to simply add it to your TBR and then forget about it as more books are released but buy it now, start it today, and then tell all your family and friends to do so as well. Some books just deserve to be read, and The Spice Box Letters is one such book.

Disobey
Disobey

4.0 out of 5 stars Two books a year from one of your favourite authors is a real treat indeed, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Disobey (Kindle Edition)
How is this Jacqui Rose's sixth book? It doesn't seem five minutes since I read Taken, yet here we are. Two books a year from one of your favourite authors is a real treat indeed, especially when the quality of those reads only ever seems to increase. I did wonder just what Jacqui would do with Disobey to set it apart from her other books, whilst still retaining that addictive and authentic quality that keeps readers returning to her books.

What I have always enjoyed about Jacqui's books is that they exist within the same world, some books featuring characters from previous books in passing or in a bigger role. In Disobey all those faces are back, having a meeting in Lola's cafe when the Triads storm the place, lives are in danger and there's a battle brewing for control of Soho. Once again Alfie Jennings can't take no for an answer, and his greed and rash decisions once again find not only him, but those close to him in mortal danger. Alfie Jennings, more EastEnders' Alfie Moon most of the time, but he has enjoyed some success as a face but is once again letting greed cloud his judgement, setting up an illegal casino in one of his clubs after he was warned by the Triads not to.

Jacqui Rose has never failed to come up with some truly despicable villains, and she always delivers with those brutal scenes of violence that almost make you want to look away but it's impossible to do so. The leader of the Triads is a particularly evil individual. Usually with just having a couple of main characters and then the villains, it becomes pretty obvious that the book will end with the main characters being victorious, with having all of Jacqui's previous characters in the one book, coming together to take on the Triads and save their little part of Soho, I was actually wondering who would come out on top especially with a couple of jaw dropping moments throughout. With plenty of twists along the way, and with a fast-moving plot, this is a book most readers will struggle to put down.

You could say things end a little too nicely, but the book's conclusion was definitely a satisfying one, and reminded me just how much I love these characters that Jacqui has created. I highly recommend Disobey and think returning readers will definitely enjoy and appreciate it. Those new to Jacqui's work I would suggest going back and reading the previous books, yet I suppose this could be read and enjoyed as a standalone but it would be more enjoyable knowing the characters and the history they all share beforehand. Jacqui Rose continues to be one of my favourite authors, and I can't wait to see what she brings us next.

You Belong To Me
You Belong To Me
by Samantha Hayes

4.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING twist, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: You Belong To Me (Paperback)
Before You Die by Samantha Hayes was one of the first books I reviewed on my blog and despite still having not read Until You're Mine I was thrilled to see You Belong to Me on NetGalley and couldn't wait to get started with it. I read the first 200 pages in one sitting, another hundred in the bath and the remainder just before sitting down to write this review. You know, I knew Samantha Hayes was capable of writing a twisted book, and that she was capable of shocking her readers but I'm stunned at the twist near the end of You Belong to Me.

You Belong to Me is impossible to review without giving away half the plot in the process and I can't even talk about all the characters without ruining the story either. What I can say though is that I found the first half of the book (despite the one sitting read) quite slow going, nothing exciting or suspenseful really happened, whilst I appreciate this was to set the scene, and introduce the characters, I just wanted everything to move that little bit quicker. Isabel is hiding out in India, safe in the knowledge that she will never be found. Well, found she is, and it isn't long before she's on a plane returning to the UK, fearful that what made her flee the country in the first place will be waiting for her upon her return. I don't know what it was but I didn't take to Isabel straightaway, and found decisions that she was making back in the UK to be a bit silly, and not the decisions I expected somebody in her position to make. I wanted to reach into the book and go 'What are you doing?!' but I stuck with it and it all made sense in the end.

DI Lorraine Fisher returns, this time she's anxious, and struggling at work due to feeling that she could have done more to save a woman's life. As a DI I perhaps found her actions and the way she was feeling a little bit unrealistic, or perhaps it is because I have read a lot of crime fiction lately with such strong female detectives in them that Lorraine just felt a little bit weaker by comparison, and I didn't really care about what was going on in her personal life. I did start to like her more towards the end of the book and enjoyed attempting to solve this case. Lorraine has a perseverance to solve a case no matter the cost to herself.

All the way through the book I knew there would be a twist coming, and I was constantly on edge, second guessing everything and everyone in my attempt to work things out before the big reveal. Samantha Hayes really puts you inside the head of each of these characters, some of whom are dangerous, scary and extremely untrustworthy. I had a couple of theories and found myself wondering if they would actually be plausible. In the end, I didn't guess the big twist and it floored me. It was absolutely brilliant, and the reservations I had in the beginning, and the couple of little niggles I had with the story throughout perhaps should have made me work things out sooner. The twist in this book will surely be one of my favourites of 2015. But Samantha writes in a way that keeps you guessing throughout, dropping little clues here and there but then a few chapters later has you thinking something else. Is it the most believable story in the world? I want to say no just because of how scary this happening to somebody in real life would be! Still, totally believable or not it was fantastic.

I have no hesitation in recommending You Belong to Me, and (a year later) I am still saying that hopefully I will get round to reading Until You're Mine very soon.

No Place to Die (DI Mike Lockyer Series)
No Place to Die (DI Mike Lockyer Series)
by Clare Donoghue

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series, 12 Mar. 2015
2014 was an exciting year for crime fiction, debuts especially, and one that stood out for me more than most was Clare Donoghue's Never Look Back. I left my copy of it on the London Underground as part of Books on the Underground so hopefully somebody else got as much enjoyment out of it as me. I was lucky enough to receive a review copy of No Place to Die and I am pleased to report that it didn't disappoint.

One of the strengths of this series is in its characters. This time around DS Jane Bennett was the star of the show for me, I loved her as a character, flaws and all. What I particularly enjoy is Clare has created characters that feel real, having genuine emotions and fears. Characters who make mistakes both in their professional and personal life. This time around things are a little bit tense between Jane and her boss DI Mike Lockyer because of the events of Never Look Back. Jane is forced to make some difficult decisions, which could impact on her friendship and her working relationship with Lockyer.

The storyline in this book was gripping, with two threads that had me wondering just when or even if they would be connected. I'm sure all of us have a fear of being buried alive, and that is sort of what happens here but worse when the body of a young student is found interred inside a tomb, left to die a horrible death. Despite the rather extreme crime, the actual investigation is somewhat normal and again this was a highlight of the novel for me, the book does read almost like a TV show would play out, and I really enjoy crime novels which are written like that. A proper police procedural as I call it, following the police gathering evidence, conducting interviews etc and then those scenes of normality, Jane at home with her young son, struggling to achieve that work/life balance that I don't think I've ever seen a fictional police detective achieve. It doesn't take long before suspects crop up, and the fear for the police is whether more bodies are about to be discovered...

This is certainly a book that kept me guessing, with more than enough twists and turns to throw most readers off the scent, and so I imagine there won't just be me who was left guessing until the very end. It's a book I didn't want to put down (cliche but so true. Sleep won out in the end, but the following night reading won)! The twist I felt I perhaps should have been coming, but really, I was too engrossed in the book and did find myself caught off guard. This is a series that excites me very much, and with another book on the way I hope that it's going to be a long running series, it certainly has the potential to do so and Clare Donoghue is not an author to miss. Comparisons are lazy but I would recommend this book for fans of Mark Billingham and Lynda La Plante, whilst this is definitely a book (and series) that can stand on its own merits, I was reminded of those two authors (two of my favourites) whilst reading No Place to Die, more so than other books which proclaim similarities to those authors which never materialise. This is not a series to miss if you can help it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2015 6:38 AM GMT

The Jackdaw (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 4)
The Jackdaw (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series, 12 Mar. 2015
I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think DI Sean Corrigan has taken over Tom Thorne as my favourite British detective. (I've said it! Can't take it back...) Really though, the first three books in terms of building his character were great, but The Jackdaw was just brilliant and he is a character we still don't know everything about and I just can't wait to read about him again. I do have the new Tom Thorne ready to read, but the British crime fiction series I find myself most excited for is this one. It seems like Luke Delaney just came from nowhere, and we are now on book four!

I found the premise for this book as exciting as it was frightening because something like this could easily happen in real life, and it's almost a guarantee that it would attract a large online audience. Wealthy bankers are abducted before being screened on the Internet, a masked man asking members of the public to vote on their innocence. Guilty equals death, not guilty doesn't equal death but it doesn't equal a clean escape either... Much like I was compelled to read on, people at home and around the world would be compelled to log on to 'Your View' as well and vote in their droves. I like how Delaney manages to mix things up and keep the series fresh. What I particularly enjoyed is how Delaney allowed the reader to see the reaction from various members of the public which included fellow bankers, journalists, a creepy teenager and various people who feel they have been done over by banks in the past and even the reaction from the police themselves. In the beginning especially Corrigan doesn't have that instant instinct to hunt the killer down which was interesting.

Regular readers of the series will recognise the return of Anna who in the past has gotten very close to Corrigan. There's a couple of things I want to say here but have to be careful for fear of spoilers, I'll just say that her reasons for joining the case might not be entirely honourable, in the beginning at least! Once again also series favourites are back including Sally and Donnelly. This time around I have to say that Donnelly was one of my favourite characters throughout the book. There's also a greater level of corruption here in the way certain high up members of the force act which added an interesting dynamic to the book. Given Delaney's experience I feel his books carry a more authentic feeling than others in the genre and that always makes a book so much more enjoyable to me, from the way the case is run, the way Sean's bosses want results yesterday, just everything about the book feels realistic especially with nods to recent high-profile events, through the eyes of a pretty seedy journalist.

As much as I could talk about this book all day, I have gone on in the past about how brilliant this series is so all I can really say is buy this book! Crime fans yet to discover Luke Delaney are in for a treat, those who have read the previous books will almost certainly enjoy this book. The only thing I would say is that I was a tiny bit disappointed with the overall reveal of The Jackdaw, but the writing was so strong and the culmination of events was brilliant to read but it'd be interesting to find out how others feel about the end! Hard to say any more than that! This is not a series to miss for crime fans and I am gutted at the thought of the torturous wait for the next one.

The Defence
The Defence

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Defence (Kindle Edition)
I received my proof copy of The Defence back in November, and somehow I managed to hold off reading it until as close to its release date as possible. You know when you see a book, and instantly want it? That's the feeling I had when I first saw The Defence being discussed on Twitter. I'm so glad the finished book cover is the same as the proof, this book will hopefully certainly be flying off the shelves.

I read this book in just two sittings, and was left feeling just a tad gutted when I had finished it. I didn't even stop to make the usual notes that I do when reading, I was too caught up in the book and I just couldn't stop reading. The Defence takes place over just a couple of days, so as you can imagine the action does not let up from the word go, and there is a lot packed in over those days.

The Defence opens introducing us to Eddie Flynn with a gun being held to his head, thrown into the back of Olek Volchek's limo, the head of the Russian mafia in New York. Eddie is told that he has just 48 hours to achieve the impossible, defend Volchek in a murder trial, ensuring that he is found not guilty. Not easy when the prosecution has a star witness. And even more difficult when Eddie learns they have his ten-year-old daughter as a hostage, and that he will be wearing a bomb strapped to his chest when inside the court. One wrong move and it's game over... Really, I don't know how anyone could read that blurb and not want to pick this book up.

Eddie is a fantastic character, one that I rooted for from the word go and it is impossible not to like him and to want him to somehow manage to save both his own life and his daughter's. He's definitely somewhat of a smooth operator, and for the most part manages to keep his cool better than most people would. Considering how watertight the prosecution's case is, I had not a single idea of just how Eddie was going to turn things around, yet Steve manages to weave a tale that incorporates some brilliantly sneaky tactics in the courtroom as well as some didn't-see-coming twists outside the courtroom thanks to Eddie's life as a conman and his connections to people who are more than a match for the Russians. The Russian mafia picked him up as a lawyer, perhaps they were a little naive in assuming that's all he was...

With secondary characters that are as well-formed as the main, it isn't just Eddie that I want to read about again in the future so hope to see some of these characters in the next book. I have to say that the last hundred or so pages of The Defence were thrilling in every sense of the word, with an idea of how things would eventually conclude but no idea of what would happen before then, my heart was thumping in my chest and as I saw the pages dwindling before my eyes, I was half-hoping that more would miraculously appear. The Defence delivers a brilliant, blockbuster type conclusion with a closing scene that had me laughing, smiling, and desperate to meet Eddie Flynn again.

Discovering a new author is always an exciting prospect, but when they write and tell a story as good as Steve Cavanagh it is very exciting and I simply cannot wait to see what he writes next. As a lawyer himself he brings authenticity to the story, and I enjoyed reading about the working practices of a court and those parts of the book are both credible and realistic as well as Eddie's observations on the jury, having done jury service myself I wondered how he would have viewed me! Praise for The Defence before publication has been incredible, and hopefully publication day brings with it the success that this book and author very much deserve. Thriller readers, Michael Connelly readers, book readers, pick up The Defence, I almost guarantee you won't regret it. An addictive read from start to finish and one that I have no hesitation in recommending.

The Wronged (Butlers 3)
The Wronged (Butlers 3)
by Kimberley Chambers

5.0 out of 5 stars and I would definitely recommend reading The Trap and Payback before The Wronged, 12 Mar. 2015
I can't actually believe that it is coming up to three years since I read my first Kimberley Chambers book. I had no idea when I decided to read The Feud that I would spend that week barely sleeping, unable to stop reading until I had completed the Mitchell & O'Hara trilogy. Now a number one bestselling author, Kimberley is finally receiving the recognition and success that she absolutely deserves.

Discussing the plot or even the characters without giving away the plot of previous books is impossible, and I would definitely recommend reading The Trap and Payback before The Wronged. Events in The Wronged left me speechless, and the chilling and haunting ending was in my thoughts for weeks afterwards. Picking up following the events of Payback and the years that followed, we learn just what has happened to the Butler family in that time. With the amount of death and heartache the family has suffered in the past, it isn't over yet and it isn't long before the family is once again falling apart. With enemies within and outside the family this is again a story of revenge, and that makes the book all the more exciting because there's characters plotting away but we don't know just whose plans will come to fruition and who will even still be alive by the end of the book. The writing style and back and forth way the story is told might not be for everyone, but I love it. It allows for lots of mini-cliffhangers throughout the book.

Kimberley creates some fantastic characters, but also some extremely hateful ones as well. Vinny Butler and his son, Little Vinny are two evil characters. But, they are also two of the most fascinating and the series wouldn't be the same without them. Is it wrong for me to be looking for positives in these two characters? Queenie and Vivian are just brilliant, two proper East End characters that I just love and who almost had me in tears laughing thanks to Kim's unique brand of humour. Never afraid to say it how it is, or to voice their opinions loud and clear, they say what most other people are afraid to say and Queenie is definitely one of my favourites in the Butler family. I loved the little nods from Kim to things taking place around the time the book is set, watching Brookside and the start of EastEnders being some standout parts thanks to the sisters observations. They certainly aren't afraid to tell people what they think of them, often in the knowledge that the threat of Michael and Vinny will shut most people up.

I love the East End of London, it's one of my favourite areas and despite it being vastly different nowadays, I love reading books that capture that era and Kimberley does that so well. Everything about The Wronged is so vivid because of how authentic the whole thing feels, nods to real life gangsters and places, mentions of music, films, TV shows, news events and of course brilliant descriptions thanks to Kimberley's knowledge of the area all help to form that picture inside your head. I would love to see these books made into a TV show one day.

This genre often has strong female characters, but with Kimberley's books the male characters are often the more dominant and do rule the roost so to speak, but the power of certain female characters is often understated, and well, I was left stunned with the actions of a couple of the female characters during this book... To say more would of course ruin it and there are far too many characters and history for me to relay here, but it was brilliant. Speaking of strong male characters, I was delighted to see Eddie Mitchell played a rather significant role in this book rather than just a couple of fleeting appearances. Fans are crying out for a return to the Mitchell family and I think the story here will satisfy those readers wanting a full story. Also, Facebook fans will be pleased to finally see the latest addition to the Butler family...

Kimberley has really played a blinder with this one. You only have to read my other reviews of her books to see just how much I love this author, but that means that I judge each book more harshly rather than just giving them all five stars. I mean every single word when I say how good this book was, how much I enjoyed it and how much I recommend it. This will surely be another number one for Kimberley Chambers, and here's to many more in the future.

Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery
Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 26 Feb. 2015
Jenny Colgan is one of my favourite authors, she creates the most perfect settings for her books, and I want to live in them all (though at different times of the year as each have their good and bad points throughout the seasons)! The latest is Mount Polbearne, where Polly lives in a lighthouse with her boyfriend, Huckle. A lighthouse! She runs the Little Beach Street Bakery, a place that makes the most delicious sounding bread, meaning this book is not to be read if you have an empty stomach. As much as I loved Little Beach Street Bakery, I did wonder where Polly's story could go in this sequel. I love that the book is about a bakery, and since reading these books I am definitely looking at bread differently, Polly wants to serve only the very best, which she does and it all just sounds so amazing. I'm practically drooling as I write (lovely).

In the beginning I was just far too happy to be back in this world again, Neil the puffin is back (I want one!) and the story involving him was just amazing, all the regulars are back and I was soon fully engrossed in the book. This time around there's a new arrival to the town. In Little Beach Street Bakery Polly had a short dalliance with a local fisherman, a married fisherman who died rather tragically in the novel. The town's new arrival is the fisherman's widow, Selina, and she moves to Mount Polbearne hoping that it will help her get over her grief and move on with her life. Also, the blurb doesn't mention it but something happens that turns Polly's life upside down, and I won't spoil it by saying what that is but it is something that adds a lot of drama to the book, and I didn't see it coming. I got fully involved with the book, feeling genuine anger at times and it completely endeared me to Polly and the people of Polbearne even more, I was really rooting for Polly and the residents, and I can't even say why! This is one of those books that will have you shouting out loud if you're anything like me, and feeling a little smug when it all goes wrong for certain individuals.

Jenny has such a wonderful writing style, her books just flow perfectly and it's far too easy to sit down to read a couple of chapters only to still be reading hours later. From the beginning to the beautiful, perfect ending I loved this book. It is now impossible for me to choose between Polly and Rosie Hopkins as my favourite character! I've purposely kept this short (-er than most of my reviews) because all I want to say is read this book! I don't think you will be disappointed. I cannot wait to see where Jenny takes us next and hope that she continues in the same vein as her last few books. Having brought us a cupcake cafe, a sweetshop, a chocolate shop and a bakery, there are surely some more culinary delights awaiting us somewhere else in the world. Cyprus, perhaps? (Wishful thinking!) Either way I will be at the front of the queue for her next book and anyway, the story of Polly and Huckle isn't fully complete so perhaps we will meet them again in the future?

14th Deadly Sin: (Women's Murder Club 14) (Women's Murder Club)
14th Deadly Sin: (Women's Murder Club 14) (Women's Murder Club)

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this series, 26 Feb. 2015
James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series is one of my favourite crime series of all-time so when I received an early copy of 14th Deadly Sin, I was ecstatic. It's hard to believe that this is the 14th novel, but the series definitely shows no sign of slowing down and Patterson and Maxine Paetro have definitely written one of the strongest books in the series yet. I do find myself saying this a lot and am perhaps a little biased given how much I love the series, but looking at it as impartially as I can, it was a very good book and I hope there's going to be plenty more.

James Patterson's books usually have crimes which are quite over the top, but which when you really think about them aren't totally unrealistic. In 14th Deadly Sin it's a gang of men dressed as police officers carrying out robbery homicides around San Francisco. Lindsey and her bosses are naturally quite worried about whether the killers are actual police officers, or impersonators. With threatening notes being left for Lindsay, and with a major discovery that she's uncovered regarding other murders, she's definitely kept busy throughout this novel.

I do love each of the characters that make up the Women's Murder Club, and love the continued character development for each of them. Lindsey is my favourite as always, but this time around I really enjoyed Yuki's story and she has somewhat of a starring role in 14th Deadly Sin. It took me a while to like Yuki back when she was first introduced, but now I like her as much as the others. I love a good courtroom drama, and with a job change on the cards for Yuki that makes for some quite exciting developments throughout the book especially in her relationship both with Lindsey and with her husband, Lieutenant Brady. These four women are friends, but their jobs often have the potential for drama yet their friendship seems able to overcome almost anything. I do sometimes read these books a little bit on edge, fearful that our four characters won't get that typical hero's ending that is commonplace in crime fiction. I still mourn Jill!

Despite the story itself being strong, I did work out who was responsible very early on, which sadly does sometimes happen in crime fiction. But, Patterson and Paetro pack in more than enough twists to keep this book exciting all the way through, especially towards the end where the book ends on a huge cliffhanger which as always is both brilliant but incredibly frustrating as it makes the yearly wait for the next book seem far too long and there will be a 15th book in 2016, right? I certainly hope so and as always I will be at the front of the queue. Long live the Women's Murder Club!

Silent Scream: An edge of your seat serial killer thriller (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!!, 20 Feb. 2015
Silent Scream is Bookouture's first crime novel and it's a resounding success even before its release. Everywhere I look on Twitter somebody is talking about this book, the five star ratings from bloggers are flying in and it is topping the charts on Amazon. If Silent Scream is the standard of crime fiction Bookouture is commissioning, I am very excited to see what they bring us next. Normally when I see everybody rating a book five stars I think 'Is it really that good?' Silent Scream is that good, and then some. Since starting the blog in late March 2014 I have read a lot of crime fiction written by women, more than I ever have before and a lot of them were amongst my favourite reads of 2014. To describe a book as addictive is terribly cliched, but I can't think of a more apt word to describe Silent Scream. Picking it up to read a couple of chapters found me still reading over an hour later, with no signs of stopping. Angela barely gives the reader time to breathe, the action comes thick and fast, not a single word is wasted in this book.

One of my favourite things about British crime fiction is those scenes in the station and in the field. I love a proper police procedural and that is definitely what we get with Silent Scream. Having read hundreds of crime novels since I could borrow adult books from the library, I have met countless investigative teams, most of which blur into one but the team in Silent Scream was brilliantly created, with some intriguing and realistic characters, all of whom have their role to play in the book but with two standout characters in D.I. Kim Stone and her partner Bryant. Describing Kim Stone almost makes her seem like your typical female detective; she has issues in her personal life and work life, she had a troubled upbringing and she doesn't just ignore the rule book but chews it up and spits it in the face of her superiors. I have to say, I loved her. She was just such a fantastic character, ballsy, tough and more than a match for any male detective I've ever read about, but underneath all of that you know there's a sensitive side somewhere. I honestly can't wait to meet her again. Reading about her history was a bit like 'How many bad things can happen to one person?!' but overall I really liked her. I would love to see Silent Scream on the small screen, but have no idea who could play these characters.

With some dark scenes, and tackling a quite sensitive subject which at times made for quite difficult reading, Silent Scream could have run the risk of becoming a little bit morbid, but it really wasn't and Angela tackles these subjects in a sensitive way, not sugarcoating anything but writing in a believable way that makes you feel sad for the victims but absolutely furious that the events were allowed to take place. We only have to read the news to know that events such as those depicted in this book are far too common. This makes the book as frightening as it is compelling and the case is all too true to life for Kim as well when secrets of a local children's home start to be uncovered, quite literally as the bones of perhaps more than one body are found on the site of the home. When members of staff who worked at the home start turning up murdered, Kim has her work cut out in attempting to catch a killer, and she doesn't care how much trouble she might get into in her haste to do so. I could talk about this story all day but really, I can't say any more than that about the plot. Just believe me when I say it will have you gripped.

It seems though that Angela also has a comedic side to her, bringing some much needed humour to the book but in a realistic way, I do love a bit of humour in crime fiction and Kim Stone had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion. The mix of comedy and seriousness in Silent Scream was just right. The duo of Kim and Bryant was brilliant, it's always difficult for an author to achieve that chemistry between two characters but what we have here is a very believable relationship. I finished this book with a huge smile on my face at the thought of meeting these characters again as this has surely got to be the first in a long-running series. I know book two isn't far away.

Silent Scream is very much a mystery, clues are dropped throughout the book, some more obvious than others and Angela definitely keeps the reader on their toes with this wonderfully twisty tale, often danger lurks in the most unlikeliest of places but sometimes it lurks in the more obvious. I had an idea very early on of what was going to happen, almost sitting here feeling quite smug before later in the novel the smile was well and truly wiped off my face with a seriously brilliant twist. Not a twist I haven't seen done before, but one that I wasn't expecting. But, with enough suspects to keep things interesting, there will be more than just this reader that doesn't fully solve this case. I don't know what else to say to convince you to pick up this book, I can't recommend it enough and as I have started saying about books that I have loved this year, please do not let this one sit on your TBR for weeks/months/years, pick it up as soon as possible. The only problem Angela now faces is keeping up this standard as the series progresses, but if she does than she's going to be an author to watch and a huge star within the genre.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2015 12:30 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20