Profile for casinitaly > Reviews

A Bridge Too Far [DVD] [1977]
A Bridge Too Far [DVD] [1977]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery
Offered by Discs4all

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow, flat, boring - and terrible audio on the dvd, 21 Jun. 2013
We avoided buying the blue-ray version of this film as I had read that the sound quality was poor. On the regular dvd we ordered, it was awful. The volume had to be turned up to maximum to hear the dialogue, and then quickly turned down as the music blared out at a frightening level!

That's a technical point - but other aspects were equally disappointing.

With such a good cast we had high expectations but we were let-down. The characters were caricatures rather than realistic people you could connect with. There was a disproportionate amount of explosions, shooting and special destruction effects which greatly slowed down the story telling.

The film was far too long and did not hold our interest. We kept at it to the end but were ready to give up on it after the first hour.

Wings: Complete First & Second Seasons [DVD] [1990] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by passionFlix UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Great show - terrible terrible dvd image - returned the product., 8 Nov. 2012
This is a great show - we remembered it well and were excited to be getting the dvd to enjoy it again...however the dvd is of such abysmal quality that we have returned it for a refund.

What a pity.

To the Grave: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #2 (Jefferson Tayte)
To the Grave: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #2 (Jefferson Tayte)

4.0 out of 5 stars Second book in the series was a great follow through, 5 July 2012
I always enjoy when I find a series that I like, it is great to start the first book and see how the character develops and to become familiar with his or her quirks and personality.

I think this book is better than the first - perhaps because I really enjoyed how the details of England in WWII were woven into the story, and how it linked to many other things I've read about the period, society, morals and the consequences of choices and mistakes.

You know as you start to read that things are going to go badly for some of the characters - but the exact details of how that happens still come as a surprise.

A good read, - the combination of mystery and historical research work very well together, and the use of different voices from the past adds depth and credibility to the characters.

Looking forward to the next one!

In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 (Jefferson Tayte)
In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 (Jefferson Tayte)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 5 July 2012
This was a recommendation from my Kindle list, and I decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed. I felt that Mr. Robinson created believable characters and a convincing setting. I loved the way he moved back and forth in time, and how the story is revealed from different perspectives.

There were several spots where I thought I had figured out the mystery - and though I was right up to a point, there were almost always unexpected twists and turns that went farther than I had imagined.

Some reviewers have complained about too much detail --- I'd have to disagree. The level of detail paints a full picture that helps you slide into the story and really be able to see it unfold.

Fire DVD - Light The Box
Fire DVD - Light The Box
Dvd ~ Light The Box
Offered by lightthebox

4.0 out of 5 stars Most entertaining!, 5 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Fire DVD - Light The Box (DVD)
I got this for my husband, as a bit of a joke since he'd been wistfully wishing we had a fireplace...... as it turns out, we both really got a kick of of this DVD.
The reasons I only give it 4 stars are because
a)there are "traditional" fires and "contemporary" fires. The former being wood fire and the latter coloured lava rocks... We aren't the least bit interested or attracted to the contemporary fires, but some people might like them.
b) there is a significant pause as the flame "cycle" restarts - which is a pity. They seem to have a 10 minute cycle - it would be nicer if it were longer.

The video is great (we have an old tv, not LCD, LED OR PLASMA) and the picture is very crisp and realistic.
The sound effects of wind, crackle and snap and pop almost make you want to break out the marshmallows.

All in all, we're very entertained with our new "fireplace".

Jazz, Rags and Blues Book 1 (Jazz, Rags & Blues)
Jazz, Rags and Blues Book 1 (Jazz, Rags & Blues)
by Martha Mier

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is what is says it is, 20 Oct. 2011
This book is for late elementary and early intermediate players. That's about my level and I find these pieces are easy to get a handle on. (adult learner, less than 2 years experience)

These simple pieces allow you to play very recognizable patterns that are clearly Jazz, Ragtime and Blues - even at this level.

There is just enough challenge in them that you have to do some work to make them sound great, but they are easy enough that you can enjoy them immediately and you have a sense of accomplishing something right off the bat.

Great fun.

Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane
Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane
by Andrew Graham-Dixon

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but somewhat disappointing., 4 Oct. 2010
Being a huge fan of Caravaggio, I was quite excited to see this new book, and ordered it.

I quite enjoyed the first part, the background to Caravaggio's life and the political/cultural/religious atmosphere of Milan.

However, as I progressed I found that -in my opinion- the author makes far too many guesses on motivation and interpretation than are necessary -both in terms of what Caravaggio might or might not have been thinking and feeling and in terms of what the symbolism in the paintings "might" be.

I was also irritated to read that the author feels Caravaggio was greatly influenced by a work that was written in 1643. I'd really like to know how that is possible since Caravaggio died in 1610.

I too was disappointed in the plates. There is a great deal of discussion about the details, many of which are impossible to see (Example: the lizard biting the boy's finger--- I can barely make out that it is a lizard!)

All in all, I'm barely half way through and not hugely inclined to read the rest.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2012 9:13 AM GMT

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
by Perri Knize

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for piano enthusiasts!, 23 Sept. 2010
I bought the book after seeing it mentioned in the Piano World forums.

As a new pianist myself, I was thrilled to be able to identify with the author's voyage: from fledgling pianist, first recital qualms, decision to buy her first piano ... and then life after purchase!

The book is full of emotional highs and lows, interesting characters and insights into how we resonate with the world around us!

I was intrigued to learn so much about how a piano is made and how it is tuned; starting with how trees are selected, right through every step of production and preparation.
This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it very much indeed.

I found it an excellent read. Fun, interesting, educational and it very much speaks to the heart and soul of the music in and around each and every one of us.