Profile for KS > Reviews

Content by KS

KS "KJ" (Solihull, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sony Mobile SWR50 SmartWatch 3 Fitness and Activity Tracker Wrist Watch Compatible with Android 4.3+ Smartphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars (updated to) Pretty good value for money (from) Might be okay for a beginner, will disappoint a proper android user, 12 April 2016
Looks: This looks half-decent on wrist. I have thin wrists. The dial does look a tad big, and the overall look of the watch is kind of kiddish. If you want it to look nice, you have to go for steel version. Black rubber strap version just doesn't cut it.

Functionality: All standard android wear functions work fine as long as the watch is connected to the phone. All notifications, alerts, alarms, controlling music works fine, which is expected. Things don't work as expected when phone is disconnected though. It is advertised that if your phone is connected to internet and the watch is connected to wifi, it would work fine. Well, it doesn't. My watch is continuously connected to my home wifi. But if I've left my phone upstairs and I'm downstairs, watch loses connection and I don't get any notifications. Same way, if I've left my phone at my office desk and I go to grab a glass of water or go out to grab lunch, watch doesn't keep track of my steps. Google fit counts me as sitting idle, because my phone was idle. Well, what's the point of smartwatch then!!??

Display: Is large enough. But resolution is just okay. I faced a typical issue with display, which other users might not face. I have reading glasses. With phone, I can just keep it at a distance and still make out notifications, emails, time etc., when I'm out and about, and not wearing my reading glasses. But I can't do that with watch. If I'm not wearing my glasses, seeing anything on my watch is impossible. Having said that, this issue will be with any smartwatch I use, but I thought I would mention it for the new users. People with good eyesight will be fine :)

Navigation: I was expecting the watch to be useful for navigation. But practically it's not. Firstly, I have to wear my varifocal glasses so that I can see both road as well as watch. The watch does vibrate to tell me the next move, but I have to move my wrist and look at the watch to make out what I need to do. While driving, this is impractically difficult and risky. That just might be me, but phone stuck to the dashboard is the only option here. Again, this would be true for any smartwatch, not only SW3.

GPS: Another let down. I had purchased the watch as this was the only one with built-in GPS. I wanted to track my route accurately without having to carry my phone. But getting Endomondo or any other tracking app (I've tried a number of others) to work just with the watch is impossible. I've tried starting the activity using phone (while watch is connected), then leaving the phone at home. I've tried starting the activity from the watch itself. Nothing works. Sometimes watch just doesn't catch gps. Sometimes watch shows excellent gps connection, but doesn't record any miles. I've given up.

Battery: Battery life is not bad. If you keep the screen always on functionality switched off, it does last for 2 good days, which isn't bad. The charging port does take some time to get used to. It's at a very odd position, at back of the watch, and getting a microUSB charging lead stuck into it isn't easy at first. Once you get used to it, it's not a big trouble.

Sony Support: is laughable. The support staff are clueless. One lady suggested me to use Sony supported app lifelog, as she said Sony won't support endomondo. She didn't realise lifelog only tracks steps, not gps based route or activity. Another guy didn't even understand when I tried explaining what is endomondo, what is gps tracking and why things aren't working. So don't expect them to sort things out for you.

Overall it's a decent first Android watch for a new user. It can get you started. But I think you'll need a better, proper watch, to fully utilise capabilities of Android wear.

Update (3.May.2016)
A couple of important update. My bad about not using Endomondo properly. I read more about gps on this watch, and used it first with Ghostracer. The watch gps worked fine. Then used it correctly with Endomondo (by selecting correct mode in settings), and has worked fine. So I would take back that point about gps not working correctly. Apologies.

Also, have done some more tests about leaving phone on my desk and walk about with the watch, to see if it counts/adds steps. It does. So would apologise and take back that point as well.

Have also been learning and using voice commands, by practising them while alone in the car. Slowly getting hang of it.

Have added one more star.

HTC Micro USB Data Cable For HTC Handsets
HTC Micro USB Data Cable For HTC Handsets
Offered by Tec Uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work with my HTC One M7, 28 Mar. 2016
For those who thinks this is not an original cable: My suggestion would be this. If you see a mobile accessory that is supposed to be original being sold by a third party seller a little cheaper than what Amazon is selling, pay a little extra and buy it from Amazon. You can then be sure that what you have received is original. I usually do that with cables, car charger etc. And that has worked well so far.

I bought this cable from Amazon by paying almost double as the third party seller was selling it at around £2.5. So what I received was original. Quality looked very good, packaging was original etc.

But I agree with some other reviewers. There is some mismatch between this cable, my original HTC wall plug and my phone (HTC one M7). The combination doesn't work and my phone wasn't charging correctly with this cable. My original cable would fully charge my phone within 4 hrs. This cable could go from 0% to 70% overnight, which is awful. I tried again, put the phone in charging at around 55%, and it told me it will take 8 hrs to fully charge the phone. I've repacked the cable, and it's on its way back.

Now this might just be about my phone, it might work fine for some other models or if you just plan to use it as a data transfer cable. But be prepared to test it when it arrive and be prepared to send it back if you're not happy. You've been warned :)

Hope this helps.

The Source Waboba Ball (Colours & Styles May Vary)
The Source Waboba Ball (Colours & Styles May Vary)
Offered by CuteBitz Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Kids received it as a gift, 27 Feb. 2016
Excellent! Kids received it as a gift. I've then bought another one to gift my brother's kids. Kids love it. I love it. It's soft & so tempting to hold & play around while working as well. Haven't really tested well in/over water though. Looks & feels quality product.

TECHGEAR® HTC One M8 DOT MATRIX VIEW Flip Case Cover With Auto Sleep Wake Function (BLACK)
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good even after 4 months of usage, 14 Feb. 2016
Worked well. Put it on wife's phone. No complaints. All features of a typical dot case are working. Tap, double tap, snoozing alarm, taking a call etc., everything works. I've seen a couple of other dot cases, which don't really work. But this one does. Looks good even after 4 months of usage. Though, wife uses it very carefully. Overall, quite satisfied.

Freshtech Intel Core I7 4790 2tb 16gb 1600Mhz GTX 960 2gb Rampage Computer Gaming PC Gigabyte H81M-S2H Motherboard 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Performance Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 2gb Corsair CX600 80 Plus Bronze Certified 600w Power Supply 2tb Seagate Barracuda Sata 6Gb/s 64mb Cache 7200rpm
Offered by Freshtech Solutions Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars hoping to get a better service. I was wrong, 14 Feb. 2016
I bought the same machine directly from their site, hoping to get a better service. I was wrong. I've been using the machine for over 4 months. It's good. But has been restarting randomly ever since I bought it. Initially with Win 7, and now even with Win 10. Definitely something wrong with the hardware. Customer service hasn't been that great, not much of a response. Not sure what to do with the machine now. Stuck.

FML 3 Piece Kit Headlamp beam deflectors 1 x set + Twin Pack French Breathalysers Long Expiry Date + Magnetic GB Plate eurolites Alcoproof Breathalyzer Good Quality NF approved headlight converters European travel kit Travel abroad kit

5.0 out of 5 stars The GB magnetic sticker worked fine. Headlamp beam deflectors work fine as well, 30 Nov. 2015
Can't fault this. The GB magnetic sticker worked fine. Headlamp beam deflectors work fine as well. Instructions were clear. It's good to buy in advance (rather than on ferry), as they're pricey on the ferry. Didn't have to use the breath analysers, so can't say anything about them.

One additional piece of info, if it helps anyone. The glue on headlamp beam deflectors is very strong. After taking it off (after your Euro trip), safely discard them immediately. I kept them lying around on my dashboard for a few days, forgot about them and then accidentally kept my phone (with faux leather case) on them. They got stuck, and came off taking the faux leather off from the case. Had to replace the case.

Gunn & Moore Bat Repair Kit Accessories, One Size
Gunn & Moore Bat Repair Kit Accessories, One Size
Offered by lorimers

3.0 out of 5 stars I had expected a little better from a branded product, 30 Nov. 2015
There is nothing fancy about this product. Yet, it didn't really meet my expectation. I had expected a little better from a branded product. This feels like a cheap import. The bat oil bottle is very poor. The protective inner lid broke while trying to open the fist time. The cloth for applying the oil is fine. If I'm paying for Gunn & Moore, I would expect a little better. Otherwise could have gone for unbranded oil or repair kit.

Oil works fine, bat is fine. Haven't had to use the glue as of yet.

Manna Real Leather UltraSlim HTC One M7 Flip Case Protective Cover Wallet (black) | Stand Function
Offered by LEICKE Germany

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good. Feels good, 30 Nov. 2015
This is my second purchase. Bought one (brown) for my Son. And black one for myself. Looks good. Feels good. One issue I found was, the flap is quite stiff when new. So very difficult for single hand use. Typing is a nightmare as well, can't fold it all the way & type comfortably. Hopefully as I use it more, things would improve. Same with the video viewing stand function. Very stiff & difficult to use when new. Hopefully that'll improve with more usage as well. Other than that, perfect.

ieGeek® USB KVM Switch Box + VGA USB Cables for PC Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse Control (2 Port)
Offered by mayers-eu

3.0 out of 5 stars The switch works fine - except causes random restarts for PC while waking up from sleep, 30 Nov. 2015
This works well, and is a decent piece of kit. I only use it for mouse and keyboard.

My setup includes a home desktop, which is always connected. And a work laptop, which I occasionally use. My desktop is connected to monitor via mini display port, and I use spare HDMI port of monitor, to connect my laptop. Hence, this switch is only used for mouse and keyboard.

The switch works fine. Except for one scenario. A few days back I encountered blue screen multiple times, and had to go into recovery mode. The standard Win 7 recovery interface didn't recognize mouse or keyboard. So I had to put the cables for mouse & keyboard directly into desktop, and restart the process. Not a deal-breaker in any case, but you should be aware of this possibility. I spent 10 mins pressing various keys without realising what's going on.

Also, if you want to go into boot selection by pressing F8, keyboard via this switch won't help. You'll need to attach the keyboard directly.

One thing to note is, if you usually put your computer on sleep and use keyboard spare bar (or any other key) to wake it up, that will continue to work via this switch. I found it a little odd, but it works for me.

Update (Feb 2016): I was facing an issue with my desktop. I would leave it on sleep. When I wake the PC, it would wake up for about half a minute, display logon screen. When I press Login button, it would try to load, but will randomly restart. Happened with both Win 7 & Win 10. After trying everything else, I removed my keyboard & mouse from the switch, and plugged them directly to PC. After that the random restarts have stopped. Well, that ruins the purpose of having this switch. Have to take a star off due to this.

Eastpak Unisex Batter Backpack Crossways Ek908291 Large (52 x 40cm)
Eastpak Unisex Batter Backpack Crossways Ek908291 Large (52 x 40cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps that explains the good condition even after 6 years of usage, 30 Nov. 2015
We call this Zebra bag. We still use it for family dayouts. After 6 years of usage, it's still the same. It's a little heavy for school backpack, so we've only been using it for leisure. Perhaps that explains the good condition even after 6 years of usage. A few international holidays as well. Bag is spacious, multiple pockets etc. Whatever you would expect from a decent size backpack.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3