Profile for James Coleman > Reviews

Content by James Coleman

James Coleman (London)

Improve Your Practical Play with Chess Grandmaster Danny Gormally (DVD)
Improve Your Practical Play with Chess Grandmaster Danny Gormally (DVD)
Dvd ~ Danny Gormally

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Nov 2013
I really liked this DVD and couldn't disagree with the previous review more strongly. I will say straight from the off that I do know the author, which is the reason I got the DVD, however that has no bearing on the review that I give it, nor the rating. I really thought that it was informative, entertaining, and I liked the emphasis on the practical and psychology aspect of the game. It makes a refreshing change from the usual hackneyed, 'How to get a microscopic edge in 30 moves in all variations using opening x' type of material that we are so used to.

In any case the primary criteria for judging a DVD of this type should be content.

I would recommend this for weaker players looking to improve their approach to the game, stronger players will still find it entertaining.

The Batsford Book of Chess for Children
The Batsford Book of Chess for Children
by Sabrina Chevannes

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmmmm I love it!, 13 Oct 2013
Having become accustomed to the delights of Ms Chevannes through her DVD material, I thought I would check to see if her written work lived up to the standard promised by the DVD.

Having previously lost our chess coach (RIP the late Jim Fisher, sadly deceased) I was looking for something that my younger daughter could use to help her grasp her way onto the 64 square battlefield.

I am pleased to say this book does not disappoint. Every rule covered, as well as the more confusing ones, and every basic mating position is covered to ensure whoever reads this will surely come first, in any competition they enter.

Recommended !!

Trivial Pursuit Master Edition
Trivial Pursuit Master Edition
Offered by shipping leader

2.0 out of 5 stars Downsized and Disappointing, 7 Sep 2013
Arrived this morning and must say I'm pretty disappointed with this.

Yes there is a ghastly looking timer, which you don't have to use but my main gripe is that there are far fewer questions in this pack then the older packs.

In the old Genus Editions and probably most of the later ones, there were two big long block boxes of question cards, packed tightly with questions. The sizes of the question card boxes has been reduced by about a third, and the boxes are not even full! There's about a 20% gap where more cards could be! So this has been well and truly downsized.

I still give this game reasonable ratings overall as it retains the classic elements, and it is still fun, but be aware that if you are a very regular player you might have to invest in some extra questions before too long!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2014 1:38 AM GMT

Chess for Novices Vol 1 - Sabrina Chevannes (PC-DVD)
Chess for Novices Vol 1 - Sabrina Chevannes (PC-DVD)
Offered by Wordery

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing short of revolutionary!, 23 Nov 2012
"Wow!" is just the only word I can muster, having watching this DVD from start to finish four times in the space of a week. I originally bought this DVD in order to teach my son how to play, but decided on a cheeky preview before I let him sample the goodies that is Ms Chevannes.

What this DVD did was much more than just show me the basic concepts of how to play the game. It stimulated a real desire to learn more and to compete.

Whilst I had learned the game at school, (props to my teacher, the late, great, Jim Fisher, sadly deceased) I had never been able to formalise it in such a way that I was able to play competitive games with confidence. That is now no longer the case.

"Chess for novices" in conjunction admittedly with the second volume has turned me into a confident beginning tournament player who aspires to reach much greater highs.

Although I had never heard of Sabrina Chevannes prior to watching this DVD, it is clear she has great pedigree - a quick google search displays her many assets to the game and I for one cannot recomment this highly enough.

As for my son - I've decided to make him wait just a little bit longer for this insight....