Profile for Helpless > Reviews

Content by Helpless
Top Reviewer Ranking: 389
Helpful Votes: 1935

Helpless "Helpless" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared [DVD]
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Gustafsson

4.0 out of 5 stars AMUSING, BEMUSING BUT NOT THE LOL COMEDY I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE, 23 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The review is based on the pre-release DVD, a basic no box plain disc.

I’m not sure what to make of this film, (here I was hoping it would be on the lines of Gangsta Granny which incidentally was not ‘that’ funny) but realising quite quickly that humour doesn't travel well from different national cultures.

Instead of the hoped for LOL I was left feeling bemused, not quite sure whether I should be laughing or if that particular part I was watching was supposed to be serious. The film title says it all, told in flashback and real time and with voice overs it is the adventures of an OAP 100+ after he makes his escape out of a window.

The hero of the story is not a very likeable character a cross between Baron Munchausen and Forrest Gump story telling where you might be left bemused with it all, this is no Don Quixote satire but it is satirical.

Maybe Swedish humour should be left at home and we should stick with what they are really good at such as The Bridge?

However, it is curiously quite watchable, my mum would have probably found it really funny, but she was German, whereas half of me saw the humour, but the other half didn’t quite get it at times.

It is nowhere near being a bad film mostly quite entertaining and maybe should be watched as a study in Scandinavian humour by film students.

I did like the film and giving it a 4 star rating is fair, but it is only just 4 stars.

3M Scotchlite White Reflective Tape (1m x 30mm)
3M Scotchlite White Reflective Tape (1m x 30mm)
Offered by Reflective-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars EXPENSIVE BUT WILL LAST A LONG TIME, 20 Sep 2014
Top quality reflective tape, of a little on the expensive side. I have used this to outline the rear doors on my van. It went on without a fuss stayed stuck down and reflects like a cats eye in a thunderstorm. It is a good product but rather expensive.

Westcott 8-inch Titanium Scissors
Westcott 8-inch Titanium Scissors

5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID AND GOOD VALUE, 20 Sep 2014
Comfortable to use, easy to manoeuvre and sharp. A pair of scissors for every occasion, they fell robust so I am sure they will stand the test of time. I also like the colour and the rubber grip for your fingers, less chance of a slip if your fingers are sweaty or wet.

A good solid product and good value for money.

QuickBooks Pro 2015 (PC)
QuickBooks Pro 2015 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars I HAVE USED QUICKBOOKS FOR YEARS AND HAVE NO HESITATION IN REMAINING WITH THEM., 20 Sep 2014
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2015 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I started using Quickbooks quite a few years ago for the small business I run. Of all the accountancy packages at the time this I felt was far the easiest to get to grips with. Overtime I have become used to the way it works but I have also looked at and trialled other comparable products, yet I always come back to it.

I like the fact that it is intuitive and user friendly, mostly laid out in a common sense way that make it easy to navigate. Not all accountancy packages provide this.

Every year a new addition appears, with a few new features but generally the updates are tweaks, some of them a little more substantial. With the product being so good you'd probably get away with running the program for a good couple of years before the need or desire to upgrade.

This years update is more tweak than new, visually it is better, and so much better than a few years ago when they had a major revamp to a visually harsh black and white.

I have yet to get into its dark corners but what I have found is that it is better to look at, smoother and feels quicker.
The upgrade from the previous version was without drama and easy to register and set up.

The product is feature rich, but the most important part is how well it works and how easy it is to use. I haven't found anything better yet and I have looked at and tried the competition.

In my opinion, for small businesses this is the one I recommend, it has a perfect balance of usability and value.

Spigen iPhone 6 Case Neo Hybrid Series Reventon Yellow (METALLIZED BUTTONS) SGP11034
Offered by Keep in Case

3.0 out of 5 stars IPHONE ARRIVED TODAY, THIS IS A GOOD CASE AND IT FITS ,BUT..., 15 Sep 2014
UPDATED: 20/09 after 24 hours of use.

I use two different cases on my iPhones depending on where I am or where I am going. The Otterbox defender for those days when extra protection is needed when I'm in work boots, overalls and safety vests, then the Spigen when I have my days wearing a suit.

The iPhone 6 arrived today the 19th and the case fits like a glove. However the on off button, now on the side loses a bit of feel to it when pressing the 'case' button. There is also a lack of feel with the volume buttons.
You will really need to press hard to engage the buttons, maybe a little too hard.The textured back give a fair amount of grip though the metalised side are just a tad slippery. I think the yellow makes it stand out.

The best thing about the case is that it adds very little bulk to the phone but prevents accidental scratches and bumps. It still feels like an iPhone instead of a box.

If you are looking for more extreme protection for your phone then the Otterbox is your best bet, but for everyday use this case is ideal.

My only concern is the lack of screen protector. Again I generally use Spigen Glas to protect the screen as it is more like the real screen glass and I don't understand why Spigen don't ever package the two together.

All in all it is a well made case in grippy textured TPU with a Yellow outer band that stands out. However the strength needed to engage the volume and on off buttons lets the case down
Don't forget to regularly take the case off and clean inside just in case a bit of gritty grit gets inside and rubs away at the vulnerable anodised aluminium (Space Grey is prone to this kind of damage).

Why put a case on what some term a work or art? Think of the resale value of your phone, unmarked you'll get at least 60% of the value when you sell it to upgrade to the new model next year.

Tacwise 1187 16ga/ 45 Finish Nailer Nail Gun
Tacwise 1187 16ga/ 45 Finish Nailer Nail Gun

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD TOOL FOR THE JOB IT IS DESIGNED TO DO, 13 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being old school I'm a dab hand with a hammer and nails, but this little nail gun makes life so much easier.

When I say little, I actually mean sturdy and solid with a weight that make you believe it is unbreakable. It arrives in its own plastic carry case which is a real benefit in that it is easy to store after use. It is also light enough to use without needing to work out in the gym to build up those biceps.

In the 24 hours since I took delivery I repaired a fence, repaired a gate, tacked down a chip board floor in the attic and still had time to sit down and have a cup of tea.

It really does make life a lot easier and saves your thumbs from a bashing.

Reloading is easy, strips of nails fit into the magazine and you can see how many nails are still left, in fact it is so much fun you might find yourself nailing everything you can see.
The cost of replacement nails are reasonable, a little more expensive than buying loose nails but that more than makes up for the convenience.

Of course it has it's flaws, it is limited to a certain size of nail and you need a power supply. A hammer does not need electricity and six inch nails are beyond it.

For the right jobs this can be an invaluable tool, but always keep a hammer handy just in case you get a job that it outside of its design.

GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small
GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small

5.0 out of 5 stars ELMO LIKES IT, 12 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Elmo is 14 years old and a great fan of meaty goodness snacks. He might not be as fast as he was, he likes to sleep several hours a day longer than he used to, he might not see as well as he did, but his nose is still super sensitive and can smell a stinky snack in a sealed box 3 gardens away buried under a compost mound.

He is also quite particular and not every snack is to his taste.

Now I cannot personally comment on the texture or taste, and Elmo is not one for fancy words of lengthy prose. What I can say as an observation is that when he was offered the snack he sniffed opened his mouth and it was gone. Then he sat patiently for more, sticky drool coming out of the corners of his mouth.

I think I can safely say that though I was not impressed with his table manners he liked it very much it would be nice if he managed to chew a little instead of gulping it down (like he once did to a squirrel but we don't like to mention that though you may be leased to know he suffered no ill effects).

Thank goodness for the well sealed tub.

Disney Frozen Magical Lights Palace Playset
Disney Frozen Magical Lights Palace Playset

3.0 out of 5 stars LOOK AT IT THROUGH THE EYES OF A CHILD AND NOT THE EYES OF AN ADULT, 9 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a parent I am fully aware of how in this day and age products are marketed towards children and yes as parents we do succumb to the demands of pester power. It is all part of having children and I accept this though I do not always agree with it. However we do live in these times and however hard we hark back to the `Good Old Days' it's not going to happen.

Now, my 5 year old daughter loves the film Frozen. She sings the song as she goes to sleep at night. She saw this product and thought it amazing, she really did like it even though a bit came off and had to be replaced. She sees the product through the eyes of a child but we see it through the eyes of recession hit adults.

I don't want to condemn this product for being of poor quality or expensive, I have to look at this and review it on behalf of my daughter and she likes it.

The adult in me though sees the product and sees the price.

During a recent tour of our favourite team football stadium we ended up in the team shop where I ended up buying the new 2014 home football top for my son. His first ever new home football top I might add. I accept it costs a ridiculous amount but it will have to last for a couple of years at least, unless he wants to spend some of his pocket money next year. My brother in law was right when he was aghast at the price I paid, but it's my son not his and it is my choice.

If you take the film out of the equation, this product should be £15-20 it would be a fair price. However it is film merchandise, and Disney licensing costs money so it has a perceived value which is more than the sum of its parts.

I have been lucky enough to review the product, my daughter has been lucky enough to receive it.
Is it worth £40?

It's actually not as bad as you might think, especially when it lights up.

I just think the manufacturers and Disney need to look into the mirror and contemplate what they might be seeing.

Leitz Wow A4 Ruled Notebook - Metallic Pink
Leitz Wow A4 Ruled Notebook - Metallic Pink

3.0 out of 5 stars THE ROLLS ROYCE OF NOTEBOOKS BUT FOR AN UNJUSTIFIABLE PRICE, 9 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What can I say about this note pad other than it is the Rolls Royce of paper pads.
Superb quality of construction, put together like a Swiss timepiece and great paper to write on, I love the vibrant colour.

However, why on earth would I want to buy a Rolls Royce when all I really needed to do was take twenty sacks of junk rubbish and debris to the local skip for disposal? A secondhand van would do the job and I wouldn’t lose any sleep should I accidentally dent it or get it dirty or spill a sack of stinky rubbish in it.

At the end of the day a disposable notepad is just that and realistically why would you pay such a price for one when you could buy 12 cheap 160 sheet A4 note pads for the same price?

It doesn't really make that much sense.

Now if you were someone who wrote regular “Dear Diary” entries or a personal paper blog or even an author then this would be ideal as a keepsake booklet.

In this day and age products need to be good value and that is a balance in the quality of the product and the cost.

It is a lovely notebook, it really is, but it is something that just couldn't be justified on cost if all you need is a pad to tear pages out of.

SORBOTHANE Cush N Step Insole , UK11 - 12.5
SORBOTHANE Cush N Step Insole , UK11 - 12.5
Offered by SDA-Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars VALUE AND COMFORT BETTER THAN BRANDS THAT CHARGE TWICE THE PRICE., 7 Sep 2014
I have tried all sorts of different insole brands, some costing 3 times the cost of these. Many promise extra cushioning, stay in place heel cups, arch support amongst the many claims.

And yet, these are the most comfortable I have tried in a long time.

It is not always necessary to spend vast amounts of money on insoles to give some comfort to your feet. At this price they are great value for money, you can equip 3 pairs of shoes for the price of one competitors insole.

Don't always assume spending more will give you more comfort, this product bucks the trend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20