Profile for Helpless > Reviews

Content by Helpless
Top Reviewer Ranking: 358

Helpless "Helpless" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fight Back
Fight Back
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars AFTER 25 MINUTES I LOST THE WILL TO LIVE, 28 May 2015
This review is from: Fight Back (Amazon Instant Video)
There is more pleasure in chewing another persons toe nail clippings while lying in a bath tub full of stinging nettles.

Kaspersky Total Security Multi Device - 3 Device - 1 Year (PC/Mac/Android)
Kaspersky Total Security Multi Device - 3 Device - 1 Year (PC/Mac/Android)

5.0 out of 5 stars KASPERSKY IS CONSISTANTLY GOOD YEAR AFTER YEAR AND I WILL BE STICKING WITH WHAT I KNOW WORKS AND WORKS WELL, 28 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another year and another incarnation of Kaspersky.

Kaspersky consistently comes out on top in most independent computer security tests.

I have been using the product for years and I have never had any reason to change my opinion. Since installing Kaspersky I have never had a problem with malware or a virus, now this may be down to good luck or that I tend to avoid dodgy websites. Recently I was in receipt of a number of emails from a friend that looked suspicious and which Kaspersky flagged up. A quick phone call later and it was confirmed to me that my friend had an infected computer. So much for him being a `computer expert' who incidentally works in IT. He now uses Kaspersky.

Many people will rely on free security products, but if truth be known, they are not as good as the paid for variety. Free products are less likely to be updated as frequently and less likely to be protected from zero day attacks, though one or two are quite capable.

I have installed this product on a dual boot Macbook Pro, protecting the partition that runs Win 8.1. I tend not to put anything on the OS X partition as in the three years of owning this laptop I have never even had a sniffle of a problem with malware or a virus. I did put the program onto the Macbook for a short while but again there was never a problem so I removed it and installed in on another Windows PC running Win 7. It is also installed on another Win 8 computer. You can mix and match the devices you want to protect to your hearts desire.

This new Kaspersky Total Security has a minuscule impact on system resources on Win 8.1 it is also easy to install. The program can be installed and forgotten about yet will go about its work without fuss, on the other hand if you want to get your hands dirty there are ample opportunities for tweaking it and making changes.

If half way through your licence period Kaspersky updates the program you are allowed to upgrade to the end of your licence period without charge.

The two main premium Kaspersky products are this one and Kaspersky Internet Security. One point to mention is that this Total Security protects up to three devices and Internet Security protects 5 devices and is cheaper. There is little difference in the product specification except that this one has a password manager, auto back up and encryption. On personal note I think the 5 device cover of Internet Security is probably better value because it covers 5 devices and I don't tend to use the password protection and encryption.

The interface is streamlined and clean, but dig and you will find more than a handful of options. It has pretty much everything you might need, sandboxing for financial transactions, realtime protection using the cloud and your PC, password protection, encryption sandboxing even in IE, two way firewall and a web scanner. For those of you who are worried about malware that likes to read keystrokes, there is a virtual keyboard to play with.

The bottom line is this, without a competent security program on your Windows computer it will only be a short time before you end up with problems. While most security products are 'competent' a recent independent test showed that a number of these other products were severely lacking. It pays to shop around and do some research.

Kaspersky are confident that their product is good. Use the option of downloading the trial version for 30 days, run it and then if you like it buy the product and enter the Licence Key.

Kaspersky is consistently good and there are not many other products that can match its performance or its consistency. I will be sticking to what I know works and having trialled and reviewed other similar products I always come back this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2015 7:29 PM BST

Purina ONE My Dog Is Food Lover Turkey & Rice Dry Dog Food 800g (Pack of 4)
Purina ONE My Dog Is Food Lover Turkey & Rice Dry Dog Food 800g (Pack of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars IDEAL FOR SMALL DOGS BUT PERHAPS A LITTLE PRICEY, 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just gave our Jengo a bowl of this and he wolfed it down in around 18 seconds. In his defence, he is no food critic, gourmet or a fussy eater and so far we haven't found anything he won't eat, including newspaper, slippers, a belt and topside of beef. However he did seem to enjoy this judging by the speed he ate it, he was rather expressionless afterwards watching me eat lamb chops.

Not a bad product for small dogs that fit into handbags but although the product is premium the cost is maybe on the high side. We generally pay £20-25 for a 20kg sack of dry food. If you have a larger mutt like ours you'll probably find that these are less cost effective but it doesn't detract from the meaty goodness they provide.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version)

3.0 out of 5 stars Should come bundled with a word processor and decent email client, 21 May 2015
Installed it as a separate partition on my MacBook Pro. I would have preferred Win 7, but it actually only takes a little getting used to. However it loses a star because it does not have a start menu and it loses another star because it lacks a built in word processor. It's like buying a car with no oil, hydraulic fluid, water or petrol in the engine. The software is hard to fault but what you get for your money irritates me.

Philips Sonicare HX9004/26 Intercare Brush Heads Pack of 4
Philips Sonicare HX9004/26 Intercare Brush Heads Pack of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars FIVE STARS FROM ME, 21 May 2015
I have tried all the different brush heads for the Sonicare electric toothbrush. From a personal perspective this is the one I like the best. I really does give a good clean and gets I between your teeth to pick out the bits that other brushes tend not to reach. Five star brush head from me.

They also last a reasonable amount of time, I know there are generic products as alternatives but they are not as good.

Hallmark Birthday Contemporary Premium White Velvet Ribbon Card - Small
Hallmark Birthday Contemporary Premium White Velvet Ribbon Card - Small

3.0 out of 5 stars DOESN'T LIVE UP TO EXPECTATIONS, 19 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If truth be told, the card is a little underwhelming. That's not to say it isn't ok, it's just, well, underwhelming. The finish isn't particularly great either. I'm also not too enamoured with the message that is printed in the hollow circle at the front. 'Beautiful YOU inside and out'. And underneath Happy Birthday. Still that's probably because, as my wife tells me, I was last in the queue for the romantic gene.

Still, there are those out there that will enjoy reading the beautiful you inside and out affirmation message. Also if I sent it to my wife she would probably think I was having an affair, she'd also ask why I didn't get her a bigger card. I know she will know someone to send it to, but it would be wasted on me. Do you know, it reminds me of a wedding invitation or a silver wedding card. In fact the borders on the envelope flap and the silver frame printed on the front of the envelope shout out 'invitation' and not happy birthday.

While there is nothing wrong with the card it just doesn't do it for me, though it's not over priced and if you want to recycle it, it would look great hanging on the Christmas Tree. I'm afraid I will stick to funny cards or those with bears on them as they are a much safer bet.

Philips DVT2700 Voice Tracer Digital Recorder with Speech Recognition Software and 2 Microphone Stereo Recording
Offered by Prompt Electronics

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CONCEPT BUT QUESTIONS REMAIN OVER USABILITY, 15 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly I will start with the main selling point for me, the software. The idea that I can record quotes, letters and such during the day, then plug the device into my computer and watch it automatically transcribe what I said was an opportunity not to be missed.

Please bear in mind that the system requirements on the box state that Dragon Speech recognition disc is a Windows only product. This isn't for use on an Apple product. I have a dual boot Macbook Pro, my business software resides on the Windows partition so it was no real issue. However, it is disappointing that it does not come with the necessary software for an OS X installation. It should also make it clearer on the Amazon page.

Not as simple as it makes out though. Installation was straightforward but then you will need to train the program to recognise your voice by reading for what seems like an age. It says several minutes, but you need to speak into the voice tracer reading the training texts. Then its time to connect the reorder to your computer. It took ages to complete, so be warned check the system requirements. Also you can expect to use anything up to 4GB of hard disc space when training. Not all sound cards appear to be compatible.

The recorder itself is a dinky little thing with a colour screen, a prehistoric colour screen as found on mobile phones of the early 2000’s and it works off a couple of AAA batteries.I needed forceps to get it out of the plastic packaging, which means it is well protected. Switch it on and an American voice shouts at you congratulating you on your purchase and then goes on and on and on until you wish he would just go away.

Once you have got rid of him it is time to give the recorder a road test. The problem was that this American refused to go away and the more I listened to him the louder I screamed. Where on earth is the volume control, until through trail and error I deleted him. I thought he was trying to sell me a second hand Buick.

The quick start instructions are of the visual kind and are confusing to decode, so spend a little time with them. Once partially mastered the function buttons are pretty straight forward. However the menu system has been design by a committee who never actually spoke to each other let alone passed on nodding terms in the corridor on the way to lunch. Scrolling through to set the thing is like having your teeth extracted in slow motion and reliving the experience over and over and over and over again.

The mic has reasonable pick up but it struggled to hear me shouting at it from 5 metres away. If you are one of those lazy students who thinks they can use it to record a lecture, sit at the front. Chances are you’ll be so engrossed in the menu that by the time you finally come up for air and get it working correctly the lecture will be over.

It’s not made of very tactile plastic and the on/off switch is just not logical, Mr Spock would have gotten emotional over it.

On the plus side, if you are one of those people who likes to hear your own voice you can even add a micro SD card and really go for it.

So does it work? As a personal recorder yes, but it has its limitations as to the distance it can pick up your voice with enough clarity that the Dragon speech recognition works. When kept close the voice clarity is pretty good.

I am an average non-accented English speaker and the recognition software gave mixed results. Sometimes it got it right and other times I could have been speaking in Russian with a Welsh accent. I expect that it needs more training so I will persevere. They were mixed results and I am sure when I finally train it properly wit will work with more accuracy. It might struggle with more technical language.

However, with modern software on even the most basic of smart phones being fairly slick, there is no excuse for such a poor dated menu system. Flared trousers ra-ra skirts and mullets should never be allowed to see the light of day again and that is the same for the menu system on this.

Therefore I can only give this a 3 star rating at this time, though if I get better results I will update the review. I will persevere because the concept is really good and I so want it to work well.

Linksys USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Linksys USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD QUALITY ADAPTER AND THE PRICE APPEARS TO BE RIGHT, 15 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A 'must buy' adapter for the new Apple MacBooks that lack connectivity simply because they are too thin to accommodate an Ethernet socket. Personally I think Apple should include this kind of adapter with every purchase, however as we all know cows can't jump over the moon and there will probably come a time when they dispense with sockets completely.

It works, its around the correct price compared to the opposition so I would consider it reasonable value. The quality of the material is very good, it does not feel like it is a cheap knock off. It also comes with a plastic cover for the USB end and a plug for the Ethernet end so that if you tend to carry it around in the bottom of a bag there is very little risk of getting foreign objects such as fluff, crumbs hair, nails and screws contaminating the sockets. A nice little blue light comes on when in use.

Yes there are cheaper adapters on the market, but they look and feel cheap too.

My only issue with it, I'd prefer it in white.

Rexel Dox 1 A4 Lever Arch Files - Blue (Pack of 6)
Rexel Dox 1 A4 Lever Arch Files - Blue (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars ROBUST, STURDY, NEAT AND TIDY THOUGH A LITTLE OVER ENGINEERED BUT GOOD VALUE IF YOU BUY THE PACK OF 6, 13 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Rexel level arch files, these are what I would expect from a premium brand. They appear robust, the mechanism is solid and secure. A lever arch file complete with its own individual storage box.

The files have a metal strip along the lower edge to prevent wear to the rigid cardboard cover as you slide them in and out of their own storage box. Basically this means that as you slide out the file the other files do not tip and fall because the box that holds it is left on the shelf.

Instead of a hole in the spine that you can stick your finger in and pull the file out they have a little plastic catch that you pull the file out with.

Whether this is over engineered is a moot point, and the catch is a little fiddly to use in the first instance. It does however look neat and tidy but probably adds to the cost of the product. It stops dust getting in I suppose.

All in all a good sturdy and robust product. As to value I think that a fiver a file is pretty good. It is well worth buying a box of six as they work out half the price of buying them individually. A decent discount on a bulk buy.

Rexel Ice A4 Ring Binder - Assorted Colour (Pack of 10)
Rexel Ice A4 Ring Binder - Assorted Colour (Pack of 10)

3.0 out of 5 stars GENERALLY ROBUST, BRIGHTLY COLOURED BUT NOT AS GOOD VALUE AS THEY COULD BE, 13 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Multi-colour two ring binders. Rexel generally make robust ring binders and these are pretty much what I would expect. The colours are bright and they stand out. They have a small spine pocket and a credit card sized pocket on the bottom right front of the file.

The finish of the covers is fine, though there were a couple of sharp corner edges.

Just be aware that the file covers are a little translucent and are flexible. they are not made of rigid cardboard or plastic.

As to value, I think that in this case you are paying for the Rexel name and bright colours. A premium brand but not quite what I would consider a premium product and I would expect a better discount on a box of ten.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20