Profile for Helpless > Reviews

Content by Helpless
Top Reviewer Ranking: 371
Helpful Votes: 1995

Helpless "Helpless" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kinetic Sand Box Set
Kinetic Sand Box Set

4.0 out of 5 stars A REASONABLY CREATIVE TOY TO WHILE AWAY AN HOUR BUT I QUESTION WHETHER IT IS VALUE FOR MONEY, 23 Oct 2014
This review is from: Kinetic Sand Box Set (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, my 5 year old daughter liked it, mainly because of the colour and the fact she could play with it indoors. We have a sandpit outside and it was howling a gale.

I can't say that I could emulate the pictures on the box but I gave it a try and failed. It did keep my daughter occupied for around an hour, my son aged 9 decided to have a go to and he was quite creative. Then they worked together, then had the usual sibling rivalry fight, things calmed down, my son went to his DS and my daughter continued playing with it.

Of course it left a bit of a mess, but that's what being creative is all about, the more mess the more creative you have been.

Once my darlings had gone to bed I had a go and it was fun, though when my wife came back from her evening of strenuous Zumba she was not particularly enamoured by my creation. No photo included I'm afraid.

I think, if I recall correctly she said something like 'optimistic aren't you'.
I'm not a Damien Hurst but I thought it was a good likeness!

All in all reasonably creative toy to while away an hour, though the adult in me questions whether it is value for money but only you can decide that. I liked it.

Cole & Mason 165 mm Dark Wood Morley Crank Pepper Mill, Brown
Cole & Mason 165 mm Dark Wood Morley Crank Pepper Mill, Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars A FUNCTIONAL AND WELL ENGINEERED AESTHETICALLY PLEASING PEPPER MILL FROM COLE AND MASON, 20 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are pepper mills and there are pepper mills, and if you have one of those inferior ones you will know what I am talking about when I say so much effort is required to grind pepper that it’s just not worth bothering with.

First impressions of this pepper mill are very good. Firstly it is comfortable in the hand, pick it up and it oozes quality with the wood grain and the smooth cranking action. It looks expensive. The stainless steel trim gives it a good finish. No rattles or squeaks either. Personally I like the aesthetics, no one wants pure function, we demand style and this has it.

The other major gripes I have about pepper mills are the claims that they are robust and will stand the test of time. Then within a month the ‘plastic grinding bits’ give out and die a death, or a plastic bit falls off, jams, doesn’t feed the pepper through etc etc etc.

This one has been engineered properly, using steel in its working parts so should stand up to use by any serious pepper addict.

I think by now you can tell that I like a bit of pepper on my plate and the more the merrier.

I just love crank handle pepper mills, the faster you crank with the least bit of effort and blanket of pepper pepper covers the food on my plate. That’s the theory anyway and I have to say this Cole and Mason pepper mill does not disappoint. The crank is so much better than the twisty top style, so much more pepper in so short a space of time.

Another real plus is the fact that with a turn of a widget you can adjust the ground pepper from coarse to fine and back again.

Personally I think it is worth paying for a better pepper mill simply because replacing the cheaper ones will probably cost more, false economy I think they call it.

I know I shouldn't get excited by a pepper mill, but I have had so many given to me (at Christmas) and they have all pretty much been disappointing.

In conclusion, it is worth paying for a decent pepper mill and this one ticks all the boxes, aesthetically pleasing and engineered to do its job well.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 7:55 PM BST

22mm White Shower Head Holder Slider Bracket For 22mm Riser Rail
22mm White Shower Head Holder Slider Bracket For 22mm Riser Rail
Offered by Plumbtap

5.0 out of 5 stars It fits the Mira 22mm shower rail, 19 Oct 2014
Actually fits a 22mm shower rail, I've attached a photograph to show the old fitting left on the shower riser rail and the new fitting. It was purchased because the old fitting did not give enough adjustment.

It also appears robust enough to last.

Strange Glory: A life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Strange Glory: A life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
by Charles Marsh

4.0 out of 5 stars WELL RESEARCHED AND EMINENTLY READABLE, 19 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Given that my maternal Grandparents had the experience of living through the rise and fall of Hitlers Germany I find this book to be very interesting. My Grandmother was a North German Lutherian Protestant married to a Bavarian Catholic and I had spent many summer evenings listening to old war stories and life under Hitler. I could also feel how my Grandparents had been so conflicted in the these times.

If you enjoy a biography then I’d recommend this book simply because the subject, Dietrich Bonhoeffer is really well worth reading about.

I like the fact that the book not only gives a comprehensive insight into Bonhoeffer the person, but also paints a vivid picture of the times. He lived in dangerous times where it would have been far safer to say nothing and follow the crowd but that was not something he could do.

The book is well researched, detailed and comprehensive though I did stumble on occasion with some of the more complex theology. However, there are no onerous chapters and it is written well in prose that are easy to understand. There was nothing in it I found that was heavy going.

It is a book for everyone to enjoy.

He did not survive the War but I think that after reading this book you might sit back and wonder that, had he survived, he may have been even more of a man of his times in the era of rebuilding his country.

The fact that he died did not make him famous, it was what he did, what he said, his belief and what he stood for that made this man stand out above others.

5M Right Angle Kettle Type IEC Power Mains Lead
5M Right Angle Kettle Type IEC Power Mains Lead
Offered by Aquarius Computers

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 15 Oct 2014
It's a lead and its long. Exactly what I needed and it arrived in good time.
I use it for an electrical device and the right angle on the lead is very beneficial.
It does what it says it will.
It's a lead.

Methven KOHPCPWHUK Kaha Satinjet Shower Handset with Faceplate with Chrome Finish - White

4.0 out of 5 stars INVIGORATING TO USE BUT MINOR FLAW THAT MAY LIMIT ITS USE WITH CERTAIN SHOWER MOUNTS AND SHOWER CUBICLES, 15 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Robust and a nice to look at shower head. Aesthetically pleasing to the eye

I have just tried it as a replacement shower head on my Mira power shower and I do have to say I like the fact that the head is much bigger and the manufacturers are right in saying it is invigorating.

It actually feels like lots of little individual droplets are cascading onto you. it doesn't quite tickle but it is really quite pleasant. There is a switch on the shower head which changes it to a more powerful central jet, though not as powerful as the Mira one it replaced.

However, if you have a smaller shower cubicle and are using one of those height adjustment bars you may find the angle of the shower head and the adjustment bars prevent you from directing the water directly from above.

In other words, when I used it I could not adjust the shower head to point downwards, so the jet could only be directed at my head and shoulders. This is down to the angle of the head itself, it is not as angled as the Mira and it is down to the fitting on the Mira shower holder not being as adjustable. To overcome this you may have to change your front riser mount to a side mount to allow better adjustment. I have attached a photograph to show the new riser bracket above the original Mira bracket.

Unfortunately and disappointedly, I will have to use the tried and tested Mira in my bathroom.

However, all was not lost, I have attached it to the shower on the bath, this is generally hand held and also used for washing hair. So far my wife has not complained and she prefers it to the cheap and nasty one that came with the rather expensive bath taps. I think she actually likes it.

In conclusion, it is rather expensive, a replacement original equipment Mira is half the price and also very good, but it does feel really good in operation. I think that the lack of angle on the shower head may limit its usefulness in smaller shower cubicles or where fixed fittings do not allow the head to be directed downwards. Otherwise I like the design and I like the way it works, just wish it could be in MY bathroom not hers.

NB I have just ordered a 22mm rail bracket for side mounting the shower head to the rail, allowing more flexibility and adjustment for less than £7. A couple of days from now and it will be mine again.

Pinzon Plush Cotton Throw in Heather Blue
Pinzon Plush Cotton Throw in Heather Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST LIKE A SUPER SNUGGLY THING ON SNUGGLY TABLETS, SUPER SOFT AND WARM, 11 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Blue, super soft, warm and lightweight.

The edges are nicely finished and it is also a good size at 127x178cm. I measured it and the size is correct. If you are over 6’ tall and are using it as a wrap you might have to compromise, either your feet or your head.

It actually feels very fleecy but it is in fact made of 60% cotton and 40% acrylic so it should wash without any problems. I haven't put it throughout the machine just yet but would advise washing it on its own just in case.

This has now also been given the duties of our sofa ‘poorly blanket’. My wife of course believes our existing poorly blanket, a small itchy scratchy thing is the best thing for the job as you generally don't want to stay under it for too long.

I disagree, comfort is paramount so I can't wait for my annual bout of man-flu, usually during the half-term holidays so that everyone can minister to my needs.

All in all a very good sized snuggly blanket.

Galt Toys Felt Friends Sewing Kit
Galt Toys Felt Friends Sewing Kit
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

4.0 out of 5 stars A FUN CRAFT KIT THAT LEAVES YOU WITH A SENSE OF ACHIEVEMENT, 9 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a relatively easy to use craft kit to make felt animals.

While the actual 'making' side of things is reasonably straight forward I think the product is more suitable for slightly older young children, from the age of 6 onwards. Some little ones may struggle and it will be the adult supervisor that takes more of an active part in putting them together.

The instructions are clear enough and if like me you have an older and younger child you can let them help each other. Though we have a little sibling rivalry in my house I only had to intervene twice. Once to help my younger daughter and the second to prise them both apart and to rule over who had more stuffing than the other.

All in all it's more than just a toy, it helps motor skills, team work and creativity and leaves a child with a sense of achievement.

However pitching it at children aged 3 onwards is probably a little optimistic but it is entertaining and fun. They are fairly cute too.

Manuka Honey Comvita Umf 10+ 500g
Manuka Honey Comvita Umf 10+ 500g
Offered by Blue Herbs

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD PRODUCT, 4 Oct 2014
I have been a fan of Comvitas competitor Steens but was unable to get hold of the 500g +10 product so I thought I would try this.

Initially I noticed a difference in texture, this appears smoother, and taste, this is not as sweet. I did miss the more grainy texture of Steens as this one appears more filtered and processed but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this product. Expensive? Yes but you do get what you pay for when it comes to Manuka Honey.

OtterBox Defender Case for Apple iPhone 6 - Black
OtterBox Defender Case for Apple iPhone 6 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars TRADE OFFS AND COMPROMISES BUT STILL THE BEST EXTREME PROTECTION CASE THERE IS THAT I CAN LIVE WITH, 1 Oct 2014
Took delivery of the Otterbox Defender Case for the iPhone 6 today.

First impressions are typical Otterbox protection. Off came the Spigen Neo case I have been using as a temporary stand in and on went the Otterbox.

The case has more rounded edges than the square iPhone 5 case so you will not be able to stand it up on the side. It certainly adds a little bulk to the phone but it feels good in the hand and it gives you a secure feeling in that if you drop it, you know it will survive.

The built in screen protector does not cover the earpiece or the front camera. Previous incarnations covered this area with part of the screen protector but this time, instead of cut outs it is open to the elements. I don’t know what the thinking behind this was, but I would have preferred some protection in this area. Still for that extra piece of mind you could install a full screen protection film underneath before putting on this case. If not, expect slight scratches in this area.

Also, unlike the old iPhone 5 case the fingerprint reader is no longer just a hole in the screen protector. It is covered with a membrane that resembles rubbery cling film. Surprisingly, even with the film in position the fingerprint reader works without any problems. Well thought out but a little ugly as it shows bubbles in the film. A compromise I can live with.

The on/off switch requires a little effort to press, but the volume controls are almost impossible to press without super human strength. Strangely the Spigen Neo case suffers from this very problem. Maybe this is down to the fact that the cases were all rushed into production on limited information as to the design of the phone before it was released.

The screen protector is not as tactile as the phone screen, but there has to be a trade off somewhere. A way round this is to remove the screen protector and replace it with a Spigen Glas or Spigen Crystal Screen protection film. This is something I do once the built in screen protector of the Otterbox shows too many battle scars. Spigen, in my opinion offer some of the best screen protection and clarity you can buy.

Also, which I find a nice detail, there is a cut out on the back that flashes the Apple motif to the world. At least (I say this tongue in cheek so please don’t be offended) you can show off to the world that the device encased in black rubber is in fact an iPhone.

As a final thought, the case also protects the bit of the rear camera that sticks out, the bit, Apple in their wisdom were unable to design flush to the case. Bet they will get that right with the 6S.

Today I had to climb up a bell tower on a building site, walk through what the pigeons left behind and assess a job 4 floors up. It was dirty, messy and unpleasant. I didn't have to worry about using my phone, it has great protection from these elements.

This case is a compromise, a big compromise if you like to show the phone off. However, next year when you decide you might want to upgrade to the 6S, your iPhone 6 will be in pristine condition and you will get really good resale value. Yes there is a trade off, but this case offers really good protection.

One last point, Otterbox if you are listening, put some protection film around the earpiece, sort out the volume buttons and lastly, I really wanted the case with the ‘Orange Polycarbonate’ frame rather than the all black one. It’s not available in the UK. I have written a nicely balanced review. How about making them available over here.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20