Profile for Tremolo Arm > Reviews

Very entertaining! Loved it

The Essential Incubus
The Essential Incubus

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
This review is from: The Essential Incubus (Audio CD)
Fantastic collection from a truly unusual and talented bunch of guys!

My Uncle Oswald (Expect the Unexpected)
My Uncle Oswald (Expect the Unexpected)
by Roald Dahl

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
Love it. Great holiday book

Shadow
Shadow

3.0 out of 5 stars His technique is also wonderful as a guitarist and has clearly bloomed and evolved ..., 11 July 2014
This review is from: Shadow (Audio CD)
I have all their previous albums and have seen them live on a couple of occasions. I also saw Barrie with Primal Scream live in Camden.

The guitar tone that Barry Cadogan has on this album is sublime. I play guitar in a band and have been on the quest for this type of tone for years. Thousands of pounds later, I am still looking for it so can only aspire to such heights, tonally. His technique is also wonderful as a guitarist and has clearly bloomed and evolved since the last record. I should also mention that the marriage with the drums and the bass guitar sounds great, though the drums sound somewhat subdued in this mix. That said, the sound is immense for a three piece band, with lush reverb featuring prominently throughout.

The reason why I have given 3 stars and not 5 is because I don't think the album is very strong from a compositions perspective. LB have always had quite a quirky style, so songs are very diverse, but I don't think their songs on SHADOW are as strong as their earlier albums (from a composition perspective). I find myself skipping from one song to the other before the song is over. A point in case the track Shadow, which drags unnecessarily IMHO. It has a psychedelic feel to it, but I've always associated LB with snappy, quirky numbers, whereas this album is a departure from that winning formula.

Also, whilst I like Barrie's voice, I would also like to hear the others sing and feature more vocal harmonies. His voice is great, but gets repetitive after a while.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Merits more than 5 stars. In fact, it should be off the charts...., 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Blood Sugar Sex Magik (Audio CD)
They don't make records like this any more. Simply genius. I must have listened to this album 100, no 1000 times and every time it sounds fresh, unadulterated, full of energy. Frusciante's minimalism guitar style marries beautifully with Flea's slap bass - it's a funk symphony. For me this is up there with all the absolute classics of rock music. Unsurpassed in the funk rock genre.

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
by Peter May

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but nothing extraordinary, 30 Nov 2012
I have to confess that before buying this book, I had never heard of it or of its author. In fact, I bought this book solely based of customer reviews and a fascination for Scotland.

I finished the book last night and whilst I enjoyed large parts of it, the ending left me a bit disappointed.

The parts that I enjoyed the most were the author's description of Lewis - an ocean battered island in West Scotland. In my opinion the author achieved the objective of creating an atmospheric backdrop for his story. Every chapter is embodied with vivid description of the stern Scottish weather, its effect on the island's landscape, its people and their traditions.

The ending was a total anticlimax for me. It comes with a Hollywood-esque intention, but the delivery is flat. It almost feels as if the author was desperate to finish the book as quickly as possible. As a result the last two chapters feel rushed and somehow disconnected from the rest of the story. There is very little content (explanation) as to the reason / motive for the behavior of the killer, as well as the manner in which the murder(s) had actually been committed. This lack of explanation is in contrast with the rest of the book, where behavior and actions are outlined very clearly and rationally. The ending is totally deprived of suspense or any mystique.

I cannot understand how people can give this book a 5 star rating. 5 Stars is the maximum rating and as such only appropriate for instant (or past) classics. This book is far from a classic. The storytelling is OK, but nothing to rave about frankly. Still - a descent story of childhood memories, first love, friendship and a murder thrown in to capture your interest for a few days. But far from 5 stars.

I'm With You
I'm With You

2.0 out of 5 stars Lukewarm peppers, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
At first I hated it. Not one song gripped me the way only the Chilis can. Upon second listening it started to grow on me a little - but that's where it's stayed for me. Even the hard core fans will admit that this is a very mediocre effort by the Chilis. I don't think the issue is Frusciante's replacement from a guitar playing perspective. It's Frusciante's absence from a creative perspective that hurts this album. There are a couple of songs (or rather passages) worth buying as singles, but this album is far, far behind in quality in anything the Chilis have ever put out. I have a feeling the album would probably appeal to casual listeners, most songs being very mellow and radio friendly, but what this really needs is a lot of pepper sauce to make it sound comparable to memorable albums like Black Sugar...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

3.0 out of 5 stars Descent story delivered with a total lack of suspense, 21 Feb 2011
As other reviewers have pointed out, the book takes forever to get going. The first 300 pages could easily be condensed in a 100. The author(s) throw a myriad of characters at the reader, burdening the mind with difficult names and relations, some of whom have no relevance to the story whatsoever.

In terms of writing style, the author shows no sense of suspense. I did not expect a Hollywood type screenplay, but the most eventful of moments are delivered in such a lukewarm, flat style that one can easily miss them if not paying 100% attention.

Not worth all the hype.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2012 1:51 PM GMT

Revelations
Revelations
Offered by 247dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Fs - fresh, funky, fantastic!, 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: Revelations (Audio CD)
To me the best rock album of the past 3 decades is the Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Everything in that album makes sense - from beginning to end. It's a classic, its strength being its simplicity and I can listen to it over and over again and it always remains fresh and current. To me no band has been able to offer anything remotely as good as that offering ever since. Extreme's Saudades De Rock came close, but not quite

But I have to say that Revelations is one of the best albums I have heard since BSSM. It has everything - energy, purpose, fluency, hooking riffs, powerful vocals, funky rhythm section. But the common thread across songs is the raw simplicity - and that what's turned it into an instant classic for me. It's simply outstanding. This is the album that promotes Audioslave to the selected group of rock heavyweights. Such a shame that the band has called it a day. I really hope this is just a break and not a good bye...

Black Country Communion
Black Country Communion

2.0 out of 5 stars Technically - outstanding. Musically - mediocre (at best), 29 Sep 2010
This review is from: Black Country Communion (Audio CD)
Whilst the technical ability of each of the band members is indisputable, this album suffers from a lack of musicality and gripping energy. I can't understand how people can rate this 5 stars. There is absolutley nothing in this album that has not been done before or done better.

For me the highlights are Bonham's drumming (superlative) and Hughes' vocals (one of the most underrated rock voices). If you are a fan of these two, then I guess you should check this album out.

Whilst having a lot of respect for Bonamassa as a guitar player, I can't help but feel that he is the wrong person for this project. His guitar tone is sublime (as usual), but he has traded expression for speed. His solo runs are often purposeless and there are no any memorable riffs to put this album anywhere near his otherwise high quality solo work. Don't get me wrong - he displays some incredible technical talent, but it has that typical supergoup "I didn't know what to play here so I came up with this fast stuff to awe people with" written all over it. Furthermore his voice does not suit this style, something painfully exposed when compared to Hughes' powerful vocals.

Typically you see the expression 1+1=3 to illustrate additional energy created out of the sums of two entities. In this case I feel like this album is a 1+1+1+1=3.

I really wanted to like this project and I was looking forward to savouring this interesting collaboration between top musicians, but with the exception of Bonham's drumming and Hughes vocals, I have to say I find it uninspiring and forgettable. To put it in context, I have an obscure solo album by Glenn Hughes called "From Now On" in my CD collection and even that has better songs than this album. Similarly, Bonamassa's Live album is heads and shoulders over this in terms of depth, guitar expression and musicality.

Dust of your old Purple, Sabbath and Led Zep CDs and and save yourself £8!

Page: 1 | 2