Profile for N. May > Reviews

N. May (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Fostex PM0.1 Personal Active Desktop Speaker System - White
Fostex PM0.1 Personal Active Desktop Speaker System - White

5.0 out of 5 stars About as good as a speaker of it's size and price can possibly be., 27 Aug. 2015
I couldn't find any reviews of these speakers before buying, so I went in 'blind' and purchased them anyway as I've had good experience with Fostex, I own both their PM0.5 and PM0.4 models. I needed a small sound system for in my kitchen/dinning room to replace an old iPod doc. At first I thought about a bluetooth speaker but after demoing a few I was less than impressed with most of them (some of which were triple the price of these little Fostex speakers). I then stumbled across these, an ideal size and attractive. These speakers are very small, so if you expect ground shaking bass, you'll be disappointed. I've only had these speakers for a day but have already listened to all sorts of music through them including electronica, pop, rock and orchestral film scores - they handled everything very well. For such a tiny speaker they really do produce a lovely warm sound and with detailed top end. The bass is surprisingly rich but obviously they struggle with the very bottom end. However there is always the option to pair these with the pm Sub mini also from Fostex. My only slight negative is that the amplifier is slightly noisy and at higher volumes creates a bit of hiss, but this is not noticeable while music is playing.

Korg Volca-Keys Machine Analog Loop Polyphonic Synthesizer
Korg Volca-Keys Machine Analog Loop Polyphonic Synthesizer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little synth!, 14 July 2015
I'm really impressed by the depth of the sound this thing generates. Lovely warm, deep, buzzy analogue goodness. Fun to use, quite easy to learn and I thought surprisingly well made considering a lot of the reviews I read saying that it's flimsy. Ignore most of the negative reviews on these units, they are from people who obviously don't understand analogue synthesis and how awesome it is getting a true analogue device at this price. I suppose if I was to improve the unit I'd include an option to have longer patterns (e.g. 64 step like my what my Korg ER-1 has), but from such a little well priced device, I'm more than happy with the features.

Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB SATA lll  Desktop SATA Drive - Blue
Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB SATA lll Desktop SATA Drive - Blue
Offered by Vente Discount

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent HDD, 19 Oct. 2014
Great quality, quiet drive. Works perfectly, 5/5.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 (Music From The Motion Picture)
How To Train Your Dragon 2 (Music From The Motion Picture)

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect sequel score!, 19 Oct. 2014
One of the finest film scores written in the past decade. A simply incredible follow up to the wonderful score for the first movie, this sequel score carries on with the same themes but adds plenty of new themes which Mr Powell perfectly weaves into a complex thematic tapestry. Fans of the first score will absolutely love the opening cue 'Dragon Racing' which features many of the great tunes from the first film, presented in a truly bombastic, swashbuckling way, producing 4 and a half minutes of the most satisfying action music. This score is perhaps a little more 'grown up' compared to the first, offering many emotional and dramatic moments but still with generous doses of fun, action packed music.

The orchestra sounds incredible, with 100's of performers producing a massive sound. This is what film music is all about, and this score firmly cements Powell as my favourite film composer. Anyone who's even remotely into film music should buy this score (and the first score too!)

2.5" HDD SATA to USB External Enclosure Caddy
2.5" HDD SATA to USB External Enclosure Caddy
Offered by Bluestone Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, great value., 19 Oct. 2014
Great value, nice looking enclosure. Works fine and has a nice quality metal finish. Only reason I give 4 stars instead of 5 is because the plastic on one end bows out slightly.

Grifiti Slim Wrist Pad 17 is a 4 x 17 x 0.25 Inch Pad With Black Nylon Surface and Non-Skid Neoprene Base Wrist Rest for Apple® Mac Mini Wireless Keyboard and Magic TrackPad, Apple iMac® Wired USB Keyboard, Anker, Rupoo, IOGear, Macally, Logitech, GMYLE, Gear Head, Genius, SIIG, Azio, Amazon Basics, Solidtek, Perixx, Verbatim, HP and other Thin Standard Keyboards
Offered by Grifiti, LLC

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice and comfy but quality isn't great., 19 Oct. 2014
Nice and comfy wrist rest, looks smart and is just the right size for my Apple keyboard. However, the top fabric started peeling off from the foam after just a couple of days. I can't image this product lasting very long.

Varese Sarabande: 35th Anniversary Celebration
Varese Sarabande: 35th Anniversary Celebration
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars A great way to hear new film music, 28 Sept. 2013
I collect all the Varese Sarabande anniversary compilations, they are a fantastic way to hear film music you would never normally find, as well as revisiting some of your personal favorites.

This 35th addition starts of with several animated scores, a genre I'm particularly fond of, especially the composer John Powell. The second CD has a much more reflective, relaxed tone to it with some very classical sounding cues. So as usual a real mixture. The only reason I rate it 4 rather than 5 stars is due to the very nature of compilations like this that give a quite disjointed listening experience. However, for the price, these 4 disk collections are a fantastic overview of film music from their respective period.

Delonghi EC152 Pump Espresso Coffee Machine
Delonghi EC152 Pump Espresso Coffee Machine

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little machine, 27 Sept. 2013
I've had this machine just over two years and on average must make at least 1 coffee per day. It's still going strong, so very reliable. I've found De'Longhi products to be very well built especially considering their price.
This machine makes espresso with a really good golden crema. The milk frother is fine, perhaps a little under powered and has a rather short nozzle, but it helps keep the machine compact. Only other downside is that you have to use espresso mugs due to the tiny size of the unit, but only a minor issue. The machine is really designed to make individual, small sized coffees. You simply can't fit enough coffee in the filter to make larger coffees. If you bear this in mind, you won't be disappointed.

Overall a fantastic first espresso machine to own. Once you convert to using one, you'll never be able to go back to instant again!

De'Longhi KG79 Professional Burr Grinder
De'Longhi KG79 Professional Burr Grinder

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality, good performance, 27 Sept. 2013
This coffee grinder is very well made, the unit feels heavy and sturdy. Seems to produce a nice even grind but I find it difficult to get the right grind for my De'Longhi espresso machine, but I suppose this all depends on the type of coffee so not really the fault of the grinder. Aesthetically the grinder is minimal but stylish, looks good next to my espresso machine! Incredibly easy to use and clean.

Targus Bluetooth Comfort Laser Mouse
Targus Bluetooth Comfort Laser Mouse

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great a mouse unfortunatly!, 16 Jan. 2011
I decided to go for this mouse after reading some reviews that it is larger than most bluetooth mice on the market. However, for me it is still too small, and isn't what I'd consider 'full size'. I get pains in my hand even after short use. But, someone with smaller hands would probably find it very comfy, because the grip and shape is nice, just too small for me!

But it's not the size and shape that brought me to the two star rating, it's the performance really. If the mouse is very close to your computer, then its OK, still not perfectly accurate, but certainly usable. Move it away about a meter or so and starts to become unusable, with the cursor often darting unexpectedly and other times moving very slowly. Considering most bluetooth devices can operate from considerable distances, I think this is poor.

That's not the last of the issues either, the removable plastic casing on the top of the mouse (under is the battery compartment), is made of very thin, poor quality plastic, which gives the buttons a horrible feel, and often unresponsive and sticky. The clinking is also annoyingly loud. I can't see the removable top surviving many removals, and this is a big problem because, unlike most battery operated mice which have their battery compartment covered by a panel underneath the unit, the removable section is an integral part of the products performance, so if this breaks, the mouse becomes useless.

On the plus side, the scroll wheel is very nice and smooth, and other than the terrible top casing, the mouse is well built.

I suppose the mouse will be OK for a mobile user looking for something small, portable and cheap, but if you want a mouse for long term use, look elsewhere!

Page: 1 | 2