Profile for Andy C > Reviews

Fret King Black Label Super Hybrid Acoustic Electric Guitar - Black - FKV6HYBK
Offered by Tone Deaf Music
Price: 699.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Batmans guitar?, 29 Jun 2014
The previous review seems a little unfair. To mark a guitar down to 1 star for one minor issue is a bit heavy handed. Yes, the issue does exist as described, but seriously, unless you're changing strings weekly, it's a non-issue, and with just a little care easy to avoid pulling any wires out!! Or just drill some holes in the rear plate - problem solved....

Onto the actual guitar - built to FK's usual exceptionally high standards, a very playable smooth neck, nicley finished fret ends, sculpted heel, no tuning issues whatsoever. And all that before we actually come onto the tones available. With two splittable humbuckers and a single coil there's not many sounds you can't get from this. The pick ups are well made and sound excellent, up to Wilkinsons usual standards. The piezo also does a good job of soundng acoustish. It'll never sound exactly like an acoustic (it's not hollow and doesn't possess a deep dreadnought boombox!!), but you can get great acoustic like sounds from it, which is incredible considering it's an electric!!

A swiss army knife guitar, and all the better for it. Not everyones cup of tea, but a fine axe nonetheless :)

Kinsman Premium Dreadnought Guitar Bag
Kinsman Premium Dreadnought Guitar Bag
Offered by Nevada Music
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality Acoustic Gig Bag, 30 Jan 2014
Always a bit risky buying these sort of items online - they can look great in the pictures and turn out not so good.
If you want the ultimate protection for your acoustic, then a Hard Case (I recommend Hiscox, hands down THE best cases) is the only real option, but they're not always practical, and if you're carrying your guitar for long distances, can become pretty heavy.
Enter the Gigbag. They come in all shapes and sizes from something that is pretty much only a flimsy polythene bag designed only to keep dust off, to something more substantial.
The Kinsman falls into the latter category - well made, with relevant protection where it's needed. It is very well padded and fits my Grand Concert nice and snug - I was worried it might slop around a bit as its a little smaller than a Dread, but no problems there. The inner lining is lovely and plush and the neck brace nice and substantial. Both the handle and the shoulder straps are nicely padded and comfortable.
All in all it's excellent - isn't it nice when something exceeds your expectations?
And to top it all off, I got it as a Warehouse deal, for a little over 20 quid :) The listing said used but in good condition - I'd swear it was new. Even at full price, currently 35, it's still a steal. Buy with confidence
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2014 7:55 PM BST

A Big Operation (The Busy World of Richard Scarrry)
A Big Operation (The Busy World of Richard Scarrry)
by Richard Scarry

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 23 May 2013
This is a great book, and a great story, with loads of visual interest as well.
However, if you have a child who's about to have their tonsils out, it's priceless. My daughter has now had her tonsils out and I'm 100% sure this book helped to make the whole episode a lot less traumatic and scary than it could have been.
Recommended!!

Prestigio MultiPhone 5000 Dual SIM and SIM Free Smartphone with Leather Pouch (5 inch Display, Android 4.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Phone, 23 May 2013
It's a great phone - a real bargain.
If you're not worried about carrying a "name" phone, then buy this and spend the 100's you saved on something else :)
Am I not the only one thinking phones are getting too big these days??
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2013 1:49 AM BST

Yamaha GL1 Guitalele - Ukelele-Size Guitar With Bag - Natural
Yamaha GL1 Guitalele - Ukelele-Size Guitar With Bag - Natural
Price: 55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best things DO come in small packages!!, 4 Feb 2013
I can't remember when I last spent 50 quid and got so much pleasure.

This little guitar is so much fun - it just makes you smile when you pick it up to play.

It's made really well and feels solid. Up to Yamaha's usual high standards.

Now, lets get any potential negatives out the way: Obviously, as it's a 1/4 size guitar, it's NOT going to sound like a dreadnought. If you want it to do that then you'll have to alter physics (or something). But for a small guitar it's surprisingly loud and has a genuinely nice tone.

For me, it's a better option than a Uke, as I want to play guitar stuff on it, not Ukulele stuff. There's plenty of online resource to show you how to play the guitar chords with different shapes that work on the Guitalele. Just have a go at playing Marley's "3 Little Birds" and tell me this isn't a fun instrument :))

For 50 it's well worth a spin. If you don't like it, not only are you probably mad, but you can sell it on eBay - there'll be plenty of takers!!

No more boring shopping trips with the missus, I can now sit in the car keeping myself amused (legally) :))

Something To Do
Something To Do
Price: 11.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Boing Boing, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Something To Do (Audio CD)
Wow!

Much better than Travelator. Much better. It feels like the Egg have come into their own and hit a winning formula. Catchy, bouncy, Synthy, dreamy - I could go on....

The mixture of organic and digital works exceptionally well.

top tracks - Over There (Bingo) and Electric City, but it all works well as a great album. Live, I reckon it'll be awesome

Privateering
Privateering
Price: 11.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Master at Work, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Privateering (Audio CD)
This really is a great example of a musician at the peak of their powers.

Mark Knopfler, like a good whiskey, matures beautifully with age.

I was never a massive Dire Straits fan (though I did like them), and Marks music now is just so much more together and inspiring. I think the step away from Stadium mega-stardom has allowed him to flourish.

For me, the folksier numbers are better than the bluesy ones, but that's just personal preference. All the songs are excellent in truth, and the guitar work, whilst very understated is exceptional as always.

Tough to pick a favourite track, but you'd have to go a long way to hear a better tune than the title track. Exceptional

Babel
Babel
Price: 5.00

2.0 out of 5 stars The difficult (same) album, 31 Oct 2012
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
There's nothing wrong with this album. In fact, if you liked Sigh No More, then I see no reason for you to dislike this album. Largely because it's pretty indiscernible from it.
And that's it's let down - I see no reason to buy this as it's just a variation on a well trodden theme. After 4 or so listens I started to differentiate some of the tunes, but generally they're all interchangeable.
I really liked the first album, despite it's obvious appeal to painfully trendy london types, but this second one really brings nothing new to the table. And that's its failing.
If you want some decent re-imagined folk music check out The Imagined Village - infinitely better, infinitely more creative!

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Price: 6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Stopped me in my tracks, 28 Mar 2012
Not often that music stops me dead these days, but on hearing this that's exactly what happened!
It's not an easy album per-se, but is catchy and tuneful. But it's the sheer variety and rawness that is it's strengths. Vocally, Mangams not the greatest, but that just adds to its purity and rawness. The acoustic rhythms and sheer energy and drive throughout the album power it on and on, interspersed with real emotion and leftfield lyrics. When it ended at 40 minutes I felt bereft and put it straight back on, hardly believing what I'd just heard.
Fuzz-folk is the best description I've heard levelled at it, but don't think kaftans and beads, it's so much more than that: brave, relentless and original
The mate who lent it to me, lent it to 2 others after me, neither were blown away by it, but I would class their taste as a bit more "safe", so if you don't like musical challenge, move along and drown in your own sea of mediocrity ;)
For all others, buy buy buy - it's only a fiver, a relatively cheap risk methinks :)

Time
Time
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Piece of Music, 18 Mar 2011
This review is from: Time (Audio CD)
I remember when I first heard Time, and I loved it! Yes, I was probably into fairly over-blown prog epics (which I'm not anymore), but this album is far more than that, infact it's only real nod to "progressive rock" is the fact that it has a theme, and all the tracks link. Length of track-wise, it's probably as far from prog as you can be with most tracks around the 4 minute mark. It's more pop than prog, but pop with a real feel and exceptional musicianship. The strings are still there, but play a lesser role than earlier offerings, it is much more synth-based, but still unmistakeably ELO. Infact, I think it fits perfectly with the sound of earlier releases, but a natural progression.
Lyrically it could be dissed as a bit twee, but it is full of real emotion, if not poetry. Infact it's the emotion that carries this offering - there is a sublime melancholy which pervades the whole album, perhaps as a teenager I connected with this somewhat angst-ridden feel :)
Really, there are no weaknesses on the album, each track is superb, for me the only exception is Hold on tight, which just feels out of place, but not enough for me to give it any less that 5 stars. If you're a fan of previous ELO albums, but have always given this a miss, then I implore you to give it a spin - it's a real gem. Beautiful music like this just isn't made anymore - Jeff Lynne is an underated genius. Believe me now....

Page: 1 | 2