Profile for Macintyre's Speculum > Reviews

Content by Macintyre's Sp...

Macintyre's Speculum (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Exerbeat Gym Class Workout (Wii)
Exerbeat Gym Class Workout (Wii)
Offered by games.empire
Price: 29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Exercise Product that is FUN for the whole family., 27 May 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Half term is once again upon us, and so my thoughts once again turn to keeping the kids busy. We have a number of Wii keep fit products (Wii Fit, Zumba, Dora, Dance mats, the list goes on...) but, given that most of them cost less than a family visit to the bowling alley, it can never hurt to get another.

Exerbeat is more keep-fit than game, but it is fun enough for the whole family to get involved in. If you want a more hard-core workout I would personally recommend going with Zumba, however, you will certainly not feel excessive if you have both.

Exerbeat uses the balance board on a few of the exercises. However it is by no means essential.

When you first start, you have to go through the usual intro where you enter your details and watch an optional tutorial. Fortunately you can fast forward this as well, so if you need to return to it you will not have to sit through the whole thing again.

The most important bit of information you enter here is your dominant hand. Your weight and age also get entered, but I have given up on getting accurate info on calories burned / weight lost or any other such statistic from this, or any other fitness product. Rather than try and micromanage my exercise routine I have discovered its far more important just to get on and do it!

Anyway, you can then select to use one or two wiimotes yourself, and whether you are using one or two player mode.

Now the program gets really interesting. There is a large selection of exercises to choose from.

Dance Exercises:
Aerobics - 20 exercises.
Hip Hop - 20 exercises.
Latin Dance - 20 exercises, some of which use balance board, but can be skipped if you don't have one.

Martial Arts Exercises:
Boxing - 20 exercises.
Karate - 20 exercises.
Karate Forms - 10 exercises.

Body Condition:
Yoga / Pilates - 20 exercises, mat required.
Stretching - 10 exercises.

As an additional bonus, you also get five party games:
Swimming (no pool required!)
Dance Fever
Pizza Toss
Wall Smasher
Pirate Attack

The games will certainly appeal to your kids, if nothing else will!

Not all exercises are available when you start. More get unlocked the more you play the game. This is handled in a neat way. You travel around the world, and as you get to new places, new exercises are unlocked. You also get to do daily challenges and there is a personal trainer to unlock if you want to concentrate more solidly on a full-on workout.

Its a great product, because kids can dip into it easily to have fun and get a bit of exercise, and adults can use it as an alternative to Wii Fit Plus if they want a more varied workout. As I said before, if you want a hardcore workout that will get you thin for summer, then I suggest the Zumba Wii instead, as you will be sweating more with that. However, if you already have Zumba, or just want more variety, then this will fit the bill nicely.

Sankey The Big Can Watering Can (Green, 13 Litre)
Sankey The Big Can Watering Can (Green, 13 Litre)
Offered by Red House Direct
Price: 14.30

2.0 out of 5 stars Big but cheap quality., 24 May 2011
I wanted the biggest watering can I could get. My vegetable patch is a fair walk from the nearest tap, and given the local authoritiy's fondness for hosepipe bans, and the cost of hose extensions, a monster watering can was the most efficient solution.

Well, this is a very large watering can. It is almost double the size of the ones you can get in the local hardware store. However, it has an awfully cheap build quality. The sprinkler nossle is in two parts and both parts are fairly flimsy plastic. So flimsy, in face, that if you pour too quickly the nossle will literally split apart.

Were it not for the fact that this was the only watering can of its size I could find, I would most certainly return it to Amazon, as it really isn't very good at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2011 7:06 AM BST

Voices In The Park
Voices In The Park
by Anthony Browne
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, thought provoking children's book., 19 May 2011
This review is from: Voices In The Park (Paperback)
We've read this with our six-year old daughter several times now. She loves it, and we love the fact that she grasps the meaning without having it rammed down her throat, unlike too many children's books or television programs these days, which seem to have forgotten the art of subtlety.

Tunturi Massage Ball (Pair)
Tunturi Massage Ball (Pair)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, but very smelly!, 11 May 2011
These balls have been successfully applied to my wife's back several times now. It is a symbiotic relationship, believe you me. They work really well, and the fact that you get two for the price makes them a real bargain.

My only quibble is that the balls themselves smell very strongly of what I presume is rubber. After repeated washings, the smell has abated somewhat, but there is still a definate pong after you use them. If they didn't smell, I would have given them five stars. As it is, the only warrant four. Don't let that put you off. They work really well.

Large Cuddly Paddington
Large Cuddly Paddington

5.0 out of 5 stars Our daughter adores this., 9 May 2011
This review is from: Large Cuddly Paddington (Toy)
Our six year old daughter had been given some Easter gift money. I'm not quite sure where this tradition originated from, however, our daughter isn't complaining. Anyway, she is very into Paddington at the moment, so I suggested a Paddington soft toy.

We should have checked the prices first, because boy these things aren't cheap. We could have gone for a cheaper model, but they don't look nearly as good and are half the size. So we ended up ordering the Large Cuddly Paddington. It has proven to be money well spent. Young Padders is a very smart, natty bear, and our daughter adores him. All it is missing is a marmalade sandwich, but other than that he is perfect.

You can buy cheaper soft toys, and you can buy cheaper Paddingtons. But sometimes you shouldn't. This is one such time. Fork out a few extra quid and get this Paddington, if you are in the market for a Paddington. You will not be disappointed.

Draper 45793 8-Blade Pen Knife
Draper 45793 8-Blade Pen Knife

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very sharp, 9 May 2011
I bought this specifically to whittle small branches so I could use them to support the runner beans. To be honest, the knife blade isn't sharp enough for that. I found myself using the saw blade instead. Also, the casing is fairly flimsy. However, it has a good weight, and a fair amount of blades, so it isn't a particularly bad knife. For the money it is ok, but I think I will be investing in a more expensive blade for my whittling.

Ravel Children's Jewellery Set: Little Gems Pussycat Watch, Charm Bracelet, Pussycat Necklace in Presentation Box
Price: 9.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good quality, 4 May 2011
Our daughter selected this, and we were a bit worried that she would end up with a load of tat. However, we can happily report that the jewellery is made to last, and the watch is of a reasonable quality. The strap was a tiny bit too big for her, but that is better than being too small. She now proudly announces the time whenever she gets the opportunity, which can be quite amusing when she has forgotten to wind it up.

There are a variety of designs available on Amazon which feature a watch and jewellery. We only noticed the others when we had purchased this one. So it may be worth your while having a look at some of the similar designs that Ravel offer. Or not. Your little girl certainly won't be disappointed with this.

Ideal Classic Games Compendium
Ideal Classic Games Compendium
Price: 16.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, as games compendiums go., 26 April 2011
This was bought to consolidate the ever-expanding toy collections of our children. Replace a load of boxes with pieces missing, with one single box kept under parental control.

The result is family happiness. As with every compendium going, the claim of 100+ games is a bit of a fib. Ok, there is a pack of cards, so you can pretty much have an unlimited variety, but if you were being one hundred per cent honest you would only count, for instance, chess once. This compendium includes a fair few varients, which, useful to know about, shouldn't really add to the game count.

That being said, you do get a large selection of games, and they are not too flimsy. We have played ludo pretty much to death (its surprisingly good fun if you actually bother to read all the rules!) and the snakes and ladders board is also popular. Chess looms on the horizon, and I am not looking forward to teaching that to our six year old.

In short, as compendiums go, this is of sufficient quality to warrant a purchase without feeling like you have bought a turkey.

Original Source Eucalyptus and Lime Basil Oil Energising Hair & Body Wash 250ml
Original Source Eucalyptus and Lime Basil Oil Energising Hair & Body Wash 250ml
Offered by MSC Gifts & Gadgets
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh Source, 26 April 2011
I loved the original Mint Source Shower Gel, and the XL version. However, this version does absolutely nothing for me. There is none of the invigorating zing you get with the other products, and I was left feeling distinctly disappointed. Compared to other shower gels, its ok, however, compared to the high standards of the above-mentioned products, it doesn't come up to scratch.

Incidently, given that this isn't available in bulk on Amazon, you will find this a lot cheaper in your local supermarket.

ENTWINE Natural Colour Handmade 4 Pane panel Room Divider / Splitter Screens
ENTWINE Natural Colour Handmade 4 Pane panel Room Divider / Splitter Screens

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent room divider., 26 April 2011
We had been looking at room dividers in the usual DIY stores, and had come up with no joy. Well, we could have assembled something like this ourselves, but the constituent parts would have cost nearly four times what we paid for this on Amazon. Then we would have had to assemble it ourselves. Badly.

So, it was with some relief that we found this item on Amazon. Initially I was put off by the low price. Nobody likes to throw good money after bad. However, we ordered one (the five panel version), and in a couple of days it was unpacked and successfully dividing a room.

The dividers are very light-weight, yet quite sturdy. You only need one person to move them. Importantly, they look very nice too. They have a high build quality and look lovely in our room. Well, as lovely as any room divider can look I guess.

In short, buy with confidence! You will not be disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2013 2:15 PM GMT