Profile for Ms. J. Collier > Reviews

Content by Ms. J. Collier

Ms. J. Collier (Glastonbury, UK)

Hot Tea (The Tea Series Book 1)
Hot Tea (The Tea Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A sheer pleasure to read..., 20 Jan. 2011
I got this book for the price - and I'd been putting off reading it as I feared it may have been boring or not well written.

I was totally wrong - this book is lovely. It's part crime, part thriller, part chic lit, and part family drama. Everyone can relate to something in this book, and it's great to curl up in bed reading on gloomy nights like this. I'm a student and for the last week, a few chapters of this in bed have been my reward for doing a day's work, and it's just been a great read.

I don't usually review books, but I thought this book needed at least one review, because it really is that good. Okay, it's not a classic, but if you're after some light relief, then this is it.

It's about a family, and in particular, one daughter, and is set in Florida, although they are all Irish. She changes careers and ends up meeting a great man and yes, perhaps it is cliche, but it's just what I like to read to take my mind away from my life.

At this price, try it - I promise you'll net be disappointed :)

Readers Digest Subscription Gift Pack ( 12 issues)
Readers Digest Subscription Gift Pack ( 12 issues)
by Readers Digest
Edition: Unbound

1.0 out of 5 stars I beg you not to buy this..., 16 Nov. 2010
I have just had total hassle from this order. I ordered it back in August, nothing appeared at first, contacted Amazon and my grandma finally got a 'welcome card' - she's still recieved no magazine.

Reader's Digest asked her for my address and my 'ten digit reference number' - something I've never recieved

Please don't buy this - especially if you're thinking about for Christmas - it's a nightmare!

Hungarian Verbs & Essentials of Grammar 2E.: v. 2 - Pt. E (Verbs and Essentials of Grammar Series)
by Miklos Torkenczy

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 17 Mar. 2010
I'm learning Hungarian right now, and the grammar is the really difficult part. Words end with various suffixes that are nigh on impossible to remember, even after months of learning.
This book has everything one could possibly need, condensed so that it will fit easily into a handbag or briefcase.
The section on postpositions is awesome, the vocab list at the back is incredibly useful but the best part by far is the list of noun cases and examples.
Overall, I'd not suggest this book as your sole introduction to Hungarian, but with the help of another book, such as a short phrasebook and perhaps a dictionary, this is perfect for getting your sentence structure perfect!
Highly, highly reccomended!

Story Songs
Story Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great two CDs, the middle one was a little off..., 29 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Story Songs (Audio CD)
But the rest are awesome.
Music for playing and singing along to in the car; for me, it's lovely new music I've never listened to before (I'm 18, and now have a very expanded music taste), and for my mum, it's a journey into her past. Even my grandma appreciates this CD!

For less than a tenner, there's not much better.
But to be honest, Rocket Man did make me cry earlier :p

The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Quantum Genius
The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Quantum Genius
by Graham Farmelo

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem Of A Book..., 29 Jan. 2009
I'm a Physics student, and love to read things not directly related to my course; this book fits the bill perfectly, and, although not a big fan of biographies, this book unfolds like a well written story, where all the characters that come and go just happen to be Nobel Prize winners, or, more likely, have things that we use every day named after them.

I could not reccomend this book more for people with even a passing interest in Physics, there's not too much hardcore maths here at all, but the story and the way he is portrayed is magical.
Farmelo, I salute you.
And everyone, but this!

Jess
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2009 10:47 PM GMT

Logic3 iStation Alarm Clock Radio for iPod - Black
Logic3 iStation Alarm Clock Radio for iPod - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars So awesome :), 30 July 2008
I got this yesterday, and promptly put it on playing loud rock music whilst painting my room (And yes, it wipes clean easily :D) the sound quality easily surpasses any alarm I've ever had, and my PC speakers.
My usual music taste is rock/punk, but also some mellow guitar-ey stuff, and a bit of classical. The sounds for all were really high quality; and loud enough to annoy my neighbours (they knew about it beforehand, and then all came in to have a listen)
The only annoying thing I've found so far's been that the volume control on the iPod doesn't work, but that's no big deal with the stupidly tiny remote to turn it up/down. The power cable converter thing is a bit big; but it's hidden behind my bedside table and makes no noise, so it's pretty win/win. Also, the cables are nice and long, so it stretches to my bed :)
All in all, to wake up to awesome music, and a fully charged iPod for such a bargain price is...Priceless.
For my room, it's awesome; and I'd even say it'd fill up my lounge nicely too... But hey, it's a small house.
Yes, fingerprints are visible on it, but if you only press buttons, not smear your hands along the top, they're barely visible.