Profile for Pacific808 > Reviews

Blueprint - The Best Of 808 State
Blueprint - The Best Of 808 State
Price: 8.78

5.0 out of 5 stars More stuff!, 11 Oct 2011
So what if I already have half of this stuff on singles. They could fart through a harmonizer and I'd still buy it!

Don Solaris
Don Solaris
Price: 13.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstood, unfortunately..., 12 Sep 2008
This review is from: Don Solaris (Audio CD)
I think Graham Massey and company were really onto something while they were making this. They took giant steps away from their previous composing methods and skills to release this gem. Unfortunately, it seemed to polarize the 808 community. The only recourse I can offer is to ask folks to listen to this one again with as much of an open mind as possible. Buried in each one of these tracks are many, many elements that just don't get translated the first several times you hear it - and, likely - even more than just "several" times. It was not an immediate hit. It wasn't even "a hit", at all! But I love what they did with this record. I love the change in writing style. I love the beautiful melodies and I love the risks they took to get this incredible recording out there for others to hear. It may not be my absolute favorite 808 release, but it is UP THERE with my favorites. I also have some lovely associations with the album because I was traveling a lot whilst listening to it and it brings back some stunning vistas I took in on my way back up through the rural California coastline territory one big, gorgeous sunny afternoon several years ago. Don Solaris still delivers. I still get big goosebumps listening to it. A beautiful, but misunderstood, many would say - "misaligned" album. For some fans of the band, it opened up gigantic floodgates of creativity and fascinating melodies that feel timeless to me. Treat yourself with another couple of listenings. Give it a chance to grow on you. I hope you get as much out of it as I continue to get. Misunderstood - but awesome!

Gorgeous (1992)
Gorgeous (1992)
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 4.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Bernard.....In reference to the information bar above...., 10 July 2008
This review is from: Gorgeous (1992) (Audio CD)
Moses is sung by Ian McCullough of Echo and the Bunnymen - Not Bernard Sumner of New Order. Bernard sang on Spanish Heart which appeared on Ex:el, their previous album.

"Genesis": From One Fan to Another
"Genesis": From One Fan to Another
by Armando Gallo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up to Armando's 2nd book, 2 Feb 2008
This glossy book is mainly full of nothing but pictures, very little text, unlike "I Know What I Like", and "Evolution". Mostly it has updated pictures of the 2 tours following 1978. The "Duke" tour and the "Abacab" tour, where they first introduced Vari-Lights on stage. For die-hard fans, it's a real treat, because there isn't much text, just some great images of the band on the following 2 tours. But, for those of us still romantically involved with pre-1978 Genesis, it doen't offer a whole hell of a lot. Armando's talent shines just as brilliantly as ever through his wonderful eyes, but, personally, this came out during the time soon after the release of "Duke" (though Duke has some gems) and "Abacab", which I really hated. It's kind of a document of the "in-between" Genesis for the die-hards from the early days, and the newer and younger fans. It smoothly makes the slip into the (then) future of the band following "Abacab." Pick it up if you can find it, because Armando's pictures are still extraordinary. My problem with it is the timing - it came out when Genesis had scaled down their tours and, hence, their shows didn't carry very much weight to them. Less visuals, less goosebumps during their concerts. Of course, that all changed in later years, and fans of Abacab and onwards will enjoy this more than the old "die-hard's." Still, it's a wonderful book for your collection and I'm glad that I snagged a first edition copy in Berkeley during the first year I moved to San Francisco. Incredible pictures in here, to be sure. I think that all Genesis fans, young and old will like this book.