Profile for Fiona > Reviews

Content by Fiona

Fiona (UK)

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride: The Fugitives)
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride: The Fugitives)
by James Patterson

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sci fantasy, 11 May 2011
This is a great science fiction/fantasy book for young adults and adults. The writing style is geared for teenagers, not talking down to them at all, the book is unique in it's terminology and style. One of the things I loved when I read it was that it didn't talk down to me or simplify, it was full-on, teen-orientated, sci-fi action.

The characters are escapees from a government run facility, and have adjusted DNA that incoporates animal DNA in their genetics. Called the Angel experiment, these teenagers have bird DNA in them and big white wings they can fly with because of it. They're on the run with secret agencies chasing them and nowhere is safe, and that's just the beginning.

The book is brimming with action and suspense and gives off a 'Dark Angel' feel. There's certainly a strong essence of a dystopian future in this novel and some great sci-fi moments.

The story takes you on one hell of a joyride.

Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy)
Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy)
by Cornelia Funke
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting reading, 11 May 2011
Inkheart is a great first book in the Inkheart series, the plot of magically reading characters out of books is a wonderfully inventive idea for a fantasy novel and the author writes it in a way that enchants you as a reader. Along with suspense and magic, the story also gives a passionate accolade to the written word. Bringing books to life before your very eyes.

I highly recommend with for young adults and fans of fantasy.

Harry Potter Box Set I-IV
Harry Potter Box Set I-IV
by J. K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great book series, 11 May 2011
I loved the Harry Potter series, and I'd definately recommend buying the book set, because once you've read the first book, you'll be dying to read the next one!

Overall a great fantasy series that goes from southern England into a fantasy realm of wizards and witches at Hogwarts and beyond. A must read if you love fantasy fiction. Along with a highly addictive story, this series also offers some really great characters and creatures along the way.

If I had a grumble it would be a tiny minor one that I had before I read this book series, and which was blown away by the end of it:

The plot is astoundingly similar to Jill Murphy's Worst Witch series, which I loved as a child and was passionately devoted to. So upon first hearing the story idea for Harry Potter, I did feel it sounded like a ripped off 'boy version' of Mildred Hubble in the Worst Witch. But upon reading the Harry Potter series, I can now say without a doubt that the similarities in plot evaporate when you read it in comparison. The Worst Witch is for a much younger audience in writing style and therefore an entirely different genre altogether.

Bridget Jones's Diary
Bridget Jones's Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 28 April 2011
This is a fab book and so much better than the movie (well it is!). I love the story, the characters and the comedy. I suspect I'm not the only one, but there are elements of me in Bridget, and that's what makes me love this book so much. Bridget has a bit of every woman in her, and we love her for showing it.

It's a great re-working of Pride and Predjudice too on a modern level, the social satire and romantic passion fits wonderfully alongside Jane Austen's novel. This is also one of the best modern epistolary novels I've ever read - a rare find in this day and age.

Great book, can't recommend it enough!

The Baker's Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words
The Baker's Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words
by J. V. Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic start to a series, 28 April 2011
This is a great book for anyone with a liking for fantasy fiction. The novel has an almost medieval feel to it, with old castles, dark forests, knights and magic. The prose is beautifully written and the story is highly addictive reading.

I found I got invested in the characters early on in the novel and by the end of it I felt like I was having the adventures with Jack and Mellie. A wonderful first book in the series, I definately recommend it.

The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Adventure, 28 April 2011
This book is great, from start to finish I couldn't put it down. The characters are addictive and the story is fast-paced and a wonderful adventure.

I really enjoyed the two worlds in the story: The dark corners belonging to the theives and the majestic cities of the Magicians guild. It's a wonderful first book in the series, I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy, magic and adventure.