Profile for Bruce Fenton > Reviews

Content by Bruce Fenton

Bruce Fenton "Bruce Fenton" (Ecuador)

Echoes from the Chamber
Echoes from the Chamber
by Richard Gabriel

5.0 out of 5 stars Life, The Universe & Everything, 6 Aug. 2012
Wow what a book! Some may be initially put off by the price of the paperback version, but I must say that this is a big book, really it is three books welded together and you soon realise you have bought a bargain (anyway there is a kindle version).
The first section is a very detailed exploration of the cutting edge of scientific understanding regarding our reality and also a in depth examination of higher dimensional understanding as it relates to spiritual matters. I have not read a better discourse on these subjects anywhere despite having read a great deal of in-depth Buddhist literature and basic quantum physics books and articles. There is also a lot of personal stories used to help us access the writers understandings, how he came to them and such, these are often very personal and must have taken a degree of bravery to share so publicly. This section is followed by an entire section of questions and answers, these were taken from the writers interactions on his web forum or through e-mail contacts, a wide range of subjects come up, most relate to those explained in the first section and as such we find many of our own questions about the material are answered at this point.

The third section of the book is about the writers adventures and explorations in Egypt. It becomes quite apparent that no independant researcher has ever matched the exploits of Richard in these regards, he has managed to locate and access numerous underground sites that tell of a long forgotten past and a civilization not recognised by historians. There are some harrowing moments where death came within an inch, and some uplifting experiences where the reader can't help but think 'I wish I was there with him'. I came away realising how little I knew about the underground network of tunnels and caverns at the giza plateau. This was really a book that left me feeling I understood more about myself, my reality and our global history.

Apocalypse 2012: An optimist investigates the end of civilization
Apocalypse 2012: An optimist investigates the end of civilization
by Lawrence E. Joseph

5.0 out of 5 stars Harsh Reality meets... 'a bit of a laugh', 20 Feb. 2007
This is the most accesible book on potential Earth threat scenarios currently in print. As someone involved in this field for over ten years, i was very pleasently suprised by all I found inside. This is not just another book jumping on the 2012 Mayan Calendar wagon, although that does form its framework. This book examines everything from Solar System wide warming, increased violent weather and prophecies to Yellowstone.

If you feel we live in turbulent times, yet are not sure why, this is the book to fill some of your blanks.

It is a science based book, but it is not a doctoral thesis, so do not expect it to be a New Scientist style essay. That said it is not merel a comedy piece either. There is something for most discerning readers, and I would say its the best 2012 related book yet.

Breaking Open the Head
Breaking Open the Head
by Daniel Pinchbeck

5.0 out of 5 stars A few molecules from heaven, 1 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Breaking Open the Head (Paperback)
I first encountered Daniel at the launch of his book, via Strange Attractor magazine, held at the Horse Hospital in London way back in Febuary 2003.

Now I must be honest from the moment the place filled up my concerns started. I am neither a stranger to mind altering chemicals or to supernatural events, and have much experience of those linked to either and indeed both. It quickly became apparent that the bulk of the audience were quite simply what I would call 'druggies' and burnt out hippy rejects, not the etheogenic shamans of which the book was relating to. Unkind perhaps but you had to be there to see it, such as the self proclaimed 'buddhist' who started glowing red and swearing, or the rude judgemental comments aimed at those who dared ask questions. This left me wondering what to expect from our speaker, and indeed his book.

However I found him to be both articulate and down to Earth, which was a good start. What left me concerned, as someone heavily involved in self development and an experiencer of many mystical events, was that I could hear little about real positive benefits from his experiments with chemicals or any of the peculiar happenings. There was no talk of moral and spiritual advancement, it was all just a great adventure, nothing wrong with that however, adventures are fun to hear about after all, but I was glad to realise this before reading the book as I think some may have been expecting rather 'higher' information than was on offer.

He did however mention a subject that I am very involved with, 2012 and the Mayan calendar. On this he showed a deeper side, and seemed more engaged with refined spiritual thought, revealing this side I was able to get a better view of him. His thoughts were very interesting, not identicle to my own but thats neither here nor there. Later i had the chance to question him, and in the evening a few of us went for dinner, where I got a little more of Daniel the man rather than the novelist. An inteligent, polite and fair seeming chap. A contemplative thinker, but more a sceptic rather than a dreamer.

What I am trying to get across is a more balanced picture of both Daniel and his book. Both seem to get very skewed and judgemental reviews all around the net. Despite many accusations to the contrary he made no movements to indicate he should be viewed as some kind of psychedelic guru, or mystical chief. He came across as what he was (back then in 2003) a man with a normal if very succesful career and home life (by normal I mean not supernatural or drug orientated!) whom had encoutered a new and radical mode of thinking. He had dared to step outside of the constricting western materialistic paradigm that had left him feeling uneasy about life, and had taken great risks to find a cure for his malaise.

It seems that for this he has experinced an old treatment of spiritual explorers, crucifiction by the masses.

If you read breaking open the head with this review in mind hopefully you will be able to view the material in a less hostile manner then some seem to of. There is much to be gained and much to enjoy, as I said this really is an adventure novel, but one based in fact rather than fiction, and with a most unlikely hero considering the context in which we find him.

If you have no knowledge of Etheogens (herbal drugs) then this is a perfect gateway into a wolrd much more fascinating than you ever did'nt bother to think. If your a hardened psychonaut then think of it as a greatly extended entry on Erowid, and they are generally good fun right?

As for the journeys to Mexican pyramids, Burning Man, Amazonian jungles and all the rest, well surely everyone loves travel stories with high jinx thrown in?

we are introduced to many of the characters and tales that make etheogenic study the captivating subject it has become. Also we get to see a man teleported from his normal life and job, into a realm where poltergeist start plagueing his home and he has to turn to experts on the occult to better understand what he thought was the 'normal' world around him. So for all those who have had a couple of weird events they will appreciate this.

For me, as someone who has a solid base in the spiritual and supernatural arena, I simply found it interesting to see what my 'normal' world does to those newbies who wander it into, wether purposefully or by accident. I took great voyeuristic pleasure in watching this poor chap squirm at times, but was very glad to see that he came out the other end stronger, better educated and more self aware.

I would advise anyone to read this book, like I say there is something in it for mystics, psyconaughts, sceptics and adventurers alike. I have strted reading his second book '2012', and feel that if you like the first you will like the second to.

Free your mind and the rest will follow...