ARRAY(0xaa294d08)

Profile for Fran > Reviews

Content by Fran

Fran "franacropan" (Lancashire, UK)

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It (Rough Cut)
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It (Rough Cut)
by Gary Taubes

5.0 out of 5 stars An easier read than Good Calories Bad Calories, 30 Dec 2010
This book felt a little like a synopsis of Good Calories Bad Calories and was just what I needed. GCBC was heavy going and sometimes it was quite hard to extrapolate the point that he was trying to get across. WWGF flowed well, the science was easy to follow and the "diet" given at the end was to the point and so simple that it brought home to me just how much junk is foisted onto us for two main reasons. One, to make money and two, so that no one has to admit they were wrong.
I read this on the kindle and, unlike some non fiction books on the kindle, the diagrams and photo's were legible.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2011 8:24 PM BST

Burgon And Ball Miracle Block Paving Brush
Burgon And Ball Miracle Block Paving Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars Moss and weeds gone without chemicals, 18 Oct 2010
I was weeding my block paving on my hands and knees one day, scraping inch by laborious inch when I thought, "there must be a way to make this easier" and eventually found this fantastic tool. It's still "work" but not very hard work, and it's very satisfying to use as you see progress very quickly and no more crawling about scraping at the weeds with various improvised implements. I love the fact that I can get rid of weeds and algae without having to use chemicals. The bristles are perfectly shaped to scrape between paving blocks but robust enough to tackle those pesky weeds that sometimes manage to grow along the bottom of walls. The pole is a good length and angle so that you are scraping effectively but with minimum effort. It was delivered quickly, completely assembled, in a huge box that startled me at first because I thought I must have inadvertently ordered a dozen. All in all it's a tool I would not like to be without.

HANSON BOOK SCALE, KITCHEN
HANSON BOOK SCALE, KITCHEN

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to store scale, 27 May 2009
I had dropped and broken my scale whilst getting it out of the cupboard for the second time and decided that its replacement needed to sit on the worktop. I was delighted to come across this scale that now sits amongst my cookery books in the kithen. It's not quite as precise as my previous scale on very small quantities, i.e. weighing yeast, but I very rarely need that level of precision.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Ultimate Reading List
The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Ultimate Reading List
by Shelley Mosley

4.0 out of 5 stars How to increase your "To Be Read" mountain even further, 24 Oct 2008
Each recommended book has a brief synopsis and sometimes an interesting tit bit, fact or other notes about the book or the author. The chapters are arranged in various genres and within a few minutes reading you are jotting books down to add to your "to be read" list and ticking off ones already read.
On the down side, I did not take into account when I ordered this book that it would have a heavy leaning towards American works, particularly the chapter on humour (or Humor) which is mainly about American comedians and not about novels which have humorous story lines as I first expected.
I will enjoy working my way through this book but I do hope to find a similar work with a UK slant.

The PH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
The PH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
by Robert O. Young

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, 21 July 2006
If you are a person who rarely if ever eats vegetables and exists on processed foods then yes, this book might seem like a miracle, as the massive influx of good veggies and dropping the junk will do you a power of good. If you are a person who was already eating fruit, vegetables, whole grains and little or no processed foods then you will be startled, as I was, to be expected to drop nearly all fruit from your diet and add hydrogen peroxide to your drinking water. I prefer my water without added bleach thank you.

There is no index, the "references" at the back of the book could just be a list of books and papers that the author read in his lifetime as they do not seem to refer to specific parts of the book. He makes up his own words, for example "microforms" actually means microphotographic reproduction on film or paper of a document, but I presume he means to use it in the sense of microflora as he is keen to convey a picture of our bodies teeming with these sinister sounding microforms that he says "love to swim in their own waste products". To give him his due he did put the first use of his word "microforms" in quotation marks to indicate that he realizes that the word is not being used in its accepted sense. I could go on and on, touching upon where he got his credentials, the commercial aspect etc. but I will leave you with this handy recipe from the book, the bracketted comments are of course mine:

Sprout 2 cups of wheat for two days then grind (no rush then). Make a pad 1/8 inch thick from this dough (I presume you just add some water to make a dough or will it be moist enough? I don't know, he does not say)

Bake on a flat stone in full summer sun from morning until noon on one side, from noon until evening on the other side (I kid you not, what, you haven't got a flat stone? What, no garden, tut, pop out to the park, spend a day there while your bread bakes)or, if the weather is bad, bake in a slow oven until slightly crisp (well that's an option on a rainy day.) The last line of the recipe says "This is a tasty, hard tack like bread." (yum)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2011 3:57 PM BST

Seductions of Rice
Seductions of Rice
by Jeffrey Alford

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookery book I have bought in a long time, 27 April 2002
This review is from: Seductions of Rice (Hardcover)
This book opens up a whole new world of rice dishes, with very few "obscure" ingredients. It is also filled with notes and photographs of the authors travel and, if such things were still in fashion, would make a great coffee table book. I began cooking from it straight away.