Profile for P. I. Daverson > Reviews

Content by P. I. Daverson

P. I. Daverson "Capt. Tuna" (Northampton,England,)

The Mist [Blu-ray]
The Mist [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Thomas Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb horror film, truly awesome on Blu Ray!, 20 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Mist [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I won't provide a synopsis as there is already one provided on Amazon.
I got this on US import in a 2 disc edition which contains the original version and a black and white version of the film (Frank Darabont wanted to release it in black and white but the studio was not happy with this idea, "the kids" don't "get" black and white apparently!!)and I would definitely recommend tracking this edition down.The film itself is most definitely a homage to '50's and '60's monster B-movies, and does not take itself too seriously, but is obviously made with great care and love by Darabont. The effects are not top notch, but that really doesn't matter as you find yourself so engrossed in the panic of the characters and their interactions with each other.It has been said many times, but the ending is incredibly, devastatingly bleak, which is a very refreshing change.This is also the best adaptation of a Stephen King horror story since The Shining (which sounds like not much, but I digress). The superb camerawork looks quite astounding on hi def and is definitely worth shelling out the extra for. All in all, superb!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2009 8:09 AM GMT

Ideals of the Samurai: Writings of Japanese Warriors (History & Philosophy Series)
by William Scott Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating insight into the lives of the ancient samurai, 5 Jan 2001
"The ideals of the samurai" first came to my attention whilst watching Jim Jarmusch's film "ghost dog",wherein the main character lives his life according to this book,this fascinated me ,so I bought it!,I have not been disapointed as it shows the reader how advanced these ancient warriors were intellectually and morally(mostly).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2010 10:53 AM GMT