Profile for The death bell tolls... > Reviews

Content by The death bell...

The death bell tolls...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Suzuki Violin School Violin Part Volume 5 (with CD) (Suzuki Method Core Materials)
by Dr Shinichi Suzuki

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 29 Jun 2013
This method has become much more useable since the addition of the CD s and I think that it will be a winner for all teachers and pupils alike.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but picky, 29 Jun 2013
Nice bow tie but the material does pick up and shed a little. In the end a good budget buy.

Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB
Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB

5.0 out of 5 stars On the eighth day he invented kindle HD nad all was good..., 29 Jun 2013
OK, so here is where I am coming from. I remember in the 1970s my dad bringing home a Binatone electronic game that plugged into the back of the TV and gave you instant Tennis, you each had a bright orange paddle that moved a stick on screen and batted a ball back and forth between player. That device was a game changer, it both challenged then replaced the board games, air fix kits, swing balls, bouncers, toy cars and comics that had been child hood up until that point and added a new dimension to the child's world. Latter on the ZX Spectrum did the same thing only more so. This home computer was not internet ready, had a very basic capacity, and you needed a degree in computer language to program it. This time the binatone was put away as the PC replaced handheld electronic games and became the king of the bedroom. It was my generation that was being groomed and allured to what was to come. Within the Kindle HD you have it all, it works and it is in step with our times. It has come!

OK so what can I do on the Kindle Fire HD after a few days of owning it OK here is the list.

1. I can use my existing wireless connection to browse the internet via the built in Amazon Silke browser. This task was very simple and all done in a few clicks of the screen. I just had to put the password for my AOL router into my Kindle and that was that. I can also sign into the net on any Hotspot that has a wireless thing going. Whats amazing is that this works, and easily!

2. My battery life on the Kindle is satisfactory. I seem to get an entire day of surfing, watching movies and playing games out of a single charge. Again, how refreshing.

3. I get a free app everyday and they are great fun, usually a game and one that is addictive to play. The other apps on the Kindle are all ranging from really good to don't bother but that's apps for you.

4. Streaming movies is seamless, very little if any pausing during films and because it's HD the films look great.

5. Everyone keeps moaning about the lack of flash player on this device however one can easily get around this as one does on a mobile phone.

6. If you want it you have an inbuilt cam.

7. If you want to you can take pics as well.

I could go on and on but I think that the above is enough reasons to give this device five stars. I just get the feeling that this device is the best thing on the market today and at the best possible price.

Amazon Standing Leather Cover, Ink Blue  [will only fit Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (2nd Generation)]
Amazon Standing Leather Cover, Ink Blue [will only fit Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (2nd Generation)]

5.0 out of 5 stars A landmark in Android Technology, 26 Jun 2013
At last a tablet thing that I can actually work. Straight from the box it is a doddle to use and I am not a technical sort of person, for anyone with the slightest of PC knowledge, your everyday e mailer or even Android phone user this machine will be easy to use. The internet simply connects to your PC wireless connection, I had this up and running in under 3 mins, the email is simply clicked from your main PC account onto the Kindle with the click of a button. Your books from any old Kindle you may have are automatically sent to the fire so you have a seamless transfer and can access everything you own. The music down load capability looks very good, I downloaded a song from Amazon with an hour of using the device. The browser is certainly fast, really cant see why anyone need complain about that. All in all a great buy. Considering that it did not cost as much as some of the funky ones out there I have to say that this device is bang for the buck. Lots of fun without the hole in the pocket.

Offered by Side Two

2.0 out of 5 stars One song 13 times...., 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: 13 (Audio CD)
Well I have to say it has been a long wait and finally I have now heard the entire album. Vivaldi was often accused of not writing 500 concertos but one concerto 500 times, and here I get the feeling that I am listening to the opening track re written 13 times. Bill Ward is not present and that can be felt throughout, the drum playing here is robotic and really not the swing / jazz that we all enjoyed during the bands heyday. The production is glossy, the guitar and mix in general not creating any dynamic contrast in the album, no way is this vintage Black Sabbath. The guitar effects are off the rack not those dirty uncontrolled sounds that created the fuzz of of previous years. Ozzy can still sing sure but the voice has dropped a few octaves and he is obviously using a vocalization machine to hit the notes. The first time I ever heard Iron Man I could never forget it, the same was for Into the Void, Laguna Sunrise, The Wizard, Sweet Leaf to name but a few. On playing this album I have to admit I have already forgotten the lot and really will not be coming back to be reminded. If you want to hear Black Sabbath go back to the past it was all there and can never be bettered. This album has been created by a group gentleman who are now in the position of Rock Royalty, its easy when you are in that position...
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2014 5:35 PM GMT

HP CE847A LaserJet Pro M1132 MFP Printer
HP CE847A LaserJet Pro M1132 MFP Printer
Offered by TODO! TODO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why have i bothered with inkjet when this printer does it all for half the cost., 3 Dec 2012
A wonder printer, sleek black design and simply the easiest use. The printer downloads its own software on vista so need to run a cd. Not a wireless printer but that is a relief as most of my wireless printers have ever stayed wireless for long. Prints a good black copy. The copier is OK, not great nut will do the job. Ans yes, it is fast.

PURE ONE Mi, Palm-sized Portable DAB/FM Radio - Black
PURE ONE Mi, Palm-sized Portable DAB/FM Radio - Black
Offered by Thinkprice

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of punch for a lightweight!, 7 Aug 2012
First of all lets get this straight, the Pure Dab Mi is very small, about the size of a small paperback book really. It has none of the fancy bright work that one would expect on a dear radio, in fact the buttons are a simple humble push and click type. In many ways it looks very retro with a large speaker on the left and the controls with digital display on the right. The Ariel is a solid affair, functional and to the point. If you are considering this radio then I will give you my reasons for recommending it however do remember that to take advantage of the inbuilt lithium battery for wireless listening you have to buy this item alone, it does not come with the radio.

OK so here goes. The reception on this radio has proved to be better than some that I have purchased for twice the price, it picks up lots of dab channels and when positioned well it simply plays without interference. I live in Lincolnshire and reception here can be patchy but not with this one. The sound is excellent for the money, clear and fairly loud, just remember it is small and will not sound massive. If you wish this radio to fill a small room, say a bedroom or bathroom it will do it with no problem however I would say not if you are trying to hear it over any noise. Selection of channels is very easy, simply flip through the channels that you want and press select, the radio then moved onto the selected channel. The rechargeable battery is outstanding, lots of life here and well worth the few pounds that you will pay as an extra.

In all I would recommend this to someone who wants a medium powered radio for personal listening, a shed, garage, bedroom or study. And for the price you cant loose.

Philosophy Now
Philosophy Now

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 July 2012
This review is from: Philosophy Now (Kindle Edition)
I am firstly a musician, secondly a teacher, thirdly a classical studies student and fourthly a philosopher. I am not to proud to admit that during my second degree I feel out of the philosophy classes, in fact I ended up not taking philosophy at all. Why ? Well, to be honest I found the whole thing to dry and so utterly academic that it bored me. This magazine however has rekindled my interest. Not only is it written in a way that engages the modern mind, it also contains enough ancient philosophical ideas to keep my interest. An excellent magazine!

L.A. Turnaround
L.A. Turnaround

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a classic..., 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: L.A. Turnaround (Audio CD)
OK If this album was recorded by anyone else other than Bert Jansch I would give it 5 stars but as far as the Jansch back cat goes I can only really manage 3 stars. For a start, this album seems uncertain of its musical direction. Often touted as a folk rock effort I am afraid it really does not work in that way. Neither does it work as a folk album. Adorned slide guitar and some really quite basic bass lines the impression is one of mediocre musicianship, those that know will realize quickly that this Bert is not the magical Bert of previous efforts. I am sorry but this album does not float my boat.

Moonshine
Moonshine

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else quite like it..., 22 May 2012
This review is from: Moonshine (Audio CD)
Bert Jansch, one of those musicians that I first heard of years ago and never really got around to listening to. If only I had sooner, I would have been more enriched yet at the same time I am glad that I waited as this is a mature persons take on folk music.I first heard the name in connection with a Led Zep track that seems to copy a certain melody that Jansch recorded in the sixties but the similarity between the two end at that point. Jansch is not Dylan, the former being a man of words and chords the latter a musician of effect and mood. Jansch is the mature Donovan, take away the simple melodies and the longing for English song subjects and you are left with Jansch, a scot who hides nothing of his heritage. Much of the music is modal, or at least a theme based on a drone, all enriched with crafted guitar work that goes beyond the vocabulary of most classical guitarists let alone folk players. With Jansch the melodies are haunting and the words secondary, it is the tune that evokes again and again our folk past. This album is without the greatest folk album I have heard, and I have heard a few. I put it past both Donovan and Dylan because it is so absolutely uncompromising and real. Jansch is a musician, not a poet and certainly not a self publicist. He embodies the spirit of folk, from one person to another, one like minded soul to another.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3