Profile for The death bell tolls... > Reviews

Content by The death bell...

The death bell tolls...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
HP CE847A LaserJet Pro M1132 MFP Printer
HP CE847A LaserJet Pro M1132 MFP Printer
Offered by GHZ SERVICE SRL
Price: 109.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Why have i bothered with inkjet when this printer does it all for half the cost., 3 Dec 2012
A wonder printer, sleek black design and simply the easiest use. The printer downloads its own software on vista so need to run a cd. Not a wireless printer but that is a relief as most of my wireless printers have ever stayed wireless for long. Prints a good black copy. The copier is OK, not great nut will do the job. Ans yes, it is fast.

PURE ONE Mi, Palm-sized Portable DAB/FM Radio - Black
PURE ONE Mi, Palm-sized Portable DAB/FM Radio - Black
Offered by Thinkprice
Price: 45.46

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of punch for a lightweight!, 7 Aug 2012
First of all lets get this straight, the Pure Dab Mi is very small, about the size of a small paperback book really. It has none of the fancy bright work that one would expect on a dear radio, in fact the buttons are a simple humble push and click type. In many ways it looks very retro with a large speaker on the left and the controls with digital display on the right. The Ariel is a solid affair, functional and to the point. If you are considering this radio then I will give you my reasons for recommending it however do remember that to take advantage of the inbuilt lithium battery for wireless listening you have to buy this item alone, it does not come with the radio.

OK so here goes. The reception on this radio has proved to be better than some that I have purchased for twice the price, it picks up lots of dab channels and when positioned well it simply plays without interference. I live in Lincolnshire and reception here can be patchy but not with this one. The sound is excellent for the money, clear and fairly loud, just remember it is small and will not sound massive. If you wish this radio to fill a small room, say a bedroom or bathroom it will do it with no problem however I would say not if you are trying to hear it over any noise. Selection of channels is very easy, simply flip through the channels that you want and press select, the radio then moved onto the selected channel. The rechargeable battery is outstanding, lots of life here and well worth the few pounds that you will pay as an extra.

In all I would recommend this to someone who wants a medium powered radio for personal listening, a shed, garage, bedroom or study. And for the price you cant loose.

Philosophy Now
Philosophy Now
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 July 2012
This review is from: Philosophy Now (Kindle Edition)
I am firstly a musician, secondly a teacher, thirdly a classical studies student and fourthly a philosopher. I am not to proud to admit that during my second degree I feel out of the philosophy classes, in fact I ended up not taking philosophy at all. Why ? Well, to be honest I found the whole thing to dry and so utterly academic that it bored me. This magazine however has rekindled my interest. Not only is it written in a way that engages the modern mind, it also contains enough ancient philosophical ideas to keep my interest. An excellent magazine!

L.A. Turnaround
L.A. Turnaround
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a classic..., 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: L.A. Turnaround (Audio CD)
OK If this album was recorded by anyone else other than Bert Jansch I would give it 5 stars but as far as the Jansch back cat goes I can only really manage 3 stars. For a start, this album seems uncertain of its musical direction. Often touted as a folk rock effort I am afraid it really does not work in that way. Neither does it work as a folk album. Adorned slide guitar and some really quite basic bass lines the impression is one of mediocre musicianship, those that know will realize quickly that this Bert is not the magical Bert of previous efforts. I am sorry but this album does not float my boat.

Moonshine
Moonshine
Price: 11.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else quite like it..., 22 May 2012
This review is from: Moonshine (Audio CD)
Bert Jansch, one of those musicians that I first heard of years ago and never really got around to listening to. If only I had sooner, I would have been more enriched yet at the same time I am glad that I waited as this is a mature persons take on folk music.I first heard the name in connection with a Led Zep track that seems to copy a certain melody that Jansch recorded in the sixties but the similarity between the two end at that point. Jansch is not Dylan, the former being a man of words and chords the latter a musician of effect and mood. Jansch is the mature Donovan, take away the simple melodies and the longing for English song subjects and you are left with Jansch, a scot who hides nothing of his heritage. Much of the music is modal, or at least a theme based on a drone, all enriched with crafted guitar work that goes beyond the vocabulary of most classical guitarists let alone folk players. With Jansch the melodies are haunting and the words secondary, it is the tune that evokes again and again our folk past. This album is without the greatest folk album I have heard, and I have heard a few. I put it past both Donovan and Dylan because it is so absolutely uncompromising and real. Jansch is a musician, not a poet and certainly not a self publicist. He embodies the spirit of folk, from one person to another, one like minded soul to another.

Motorola Gleam+ Sim-Free Mobile Phone
Motorola Gleam+ Sim-Free Mobile Phone

4.0 out of 5 stars In a world that is overly complicated this one looks way back!, 5 May 2012
Well here I am with my new gleam plus and am I glad to have something that is not a touch phone. After spending a frustrated year with a smart phone I finally took the plunge and got arid of it for this one and all in all I am glad I did. Let me begin by telling you what this phone will not do:

1. This phone will not allow you to press imaginary keys on a virtual screen.
2. This phone will not switch itself off half way through a conversation because your ear has touched the virtual screen.
3. You will not spend hours trying to work out how things work.
4. You will be able to make calls and text and check your e mails on line but nothing else.
5. This phone does not leave a dent in the pocket but don not expect state of the art...this phone is basic.
6. It will do everything a phone should but does not turn into a mini computer.

So that is about it. The phone is basic. It makes calls and texts but the internet on it is not fast nor great however it is enough to check emails online. If you are over 40 and want a phone that is simple and easy to use then buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2013 4:17 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST INVENTION SINCE THE PRINTING PRESS..., 13 Dec 2011
Thanks to the kindle I have rediscovered my sleeping love of reading. No longer do I need to walk miles to my bookstore to find that most of what I want is sold out or talk to ill informed staff who really don't give a dam about editions or niche authors that they have never heard of. This is not the case in many bookstores who have excellent staff but it has often been the case in mine. The kindle is refreshing you simply browse for what you want and it appears as if by magic. I love it. The only thing I would say is that at times the very book you want seems to be unavailable however dozens that I have not read are all there.

Thanks Amazon, a great product from what I consider the very best company that we have.

Moving Targets
Moving Targets
Offered by soundsunlimited
Price: 6.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A belter of an Album!, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Moving Targets (Audio CD)
In my teens I was put off this band by those who seemed to have a problem with a punk group fronted by a woman, however without a woman at the lead Penetration would be all but just another above standard bunch of musicians. With Pauline Murray on vocals this band becomes not only unique in a mostly male orientated punk genre but more importantly it is the unsung hero that helped spawn Blondie and Suzi Q to future fame. Now talking of vocals, Pauline Murray is better than any other female punk vocalist I can think of, she has both range, depth and originality. Most importantly she avoids singing the little girl part and instead sings like she means to rock.

Now I am in my 40s and most of my friends have sold there Punk albums in a car boot I have done what I dared not do then, I have purchased a Penetration LP and indulged my senses. I you are looking for another Pistols, Damned, Fingers, Ramones, X Ray Specs,...then please look elsewhere. This LP is classic Punk Rock with a twist. It is played my musicians who can play and a singer who reaches all notes to define an original sound. This is the first Punk LP that I have ever given a 10 outta 10 review.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2012 10:57 PM GMT

Punk's Not Dead
Punk's Not Dead

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to knock it, 26 Oct 2011
This review is from: Punk's Not Dead (Audio CD)
I have to confess this is my first ever listen to an Exploited album and I am quietly impressed. In the day you would not have caught me within a mile of the Exploited, I was back then a rock fan rather than a punk fan. However, I have tired of rock for a while and so have turned to punk and so far so good. This album is not the best thing since sliced bread because it suffers from a monotone approach where the songs are basically all played fast, so fast that the lyrics are often lost and with them the point. However, this band sounds promising enough for me to buy another Exploited album very soon, its not all bad. Just do not expect another Sex Pistols album, the blindingly memorable choruses and mob rule lyrics are not altogether present. What this album is however is pure attitude. At 40 years old I like it but at 20 I would have loved it. Maybe I am getting old...

Orgasmatron
Orgasmatron
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant think of a better Motorhead Album..., 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: Orgasmatron (Audio CD)
For those of you who follow Motorhead this album will represent the second period, the Pheonix arising from the poorly produced Another Perfect Day, it is the album that points the way to a more philosophical and musical diverse future for the band. Every song on this one has a four to five star rating, I always suspect something good when an album has the title track as the ending not the beginning. And, at last the level of production is professional; bass and drums separated from vocals, guitar taken to new levels. Everything about this album is first rate and it is a credit to the band. Shame it never arose higher in the UK charts, bronski beat and bros had taken over, Lemmy and the boys took flight to America and we are only left with memories. This album is as iconic as any metal album you will find.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3