Profile for Ian Elves > Reviews

Content by Ian Elves

Ian Elves (Camberley, Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2
Dead Girl Walking (Jack Parlabane )
Dead Girl Walking (Jack Parlabane )
by Christopher Brookmyre

5.0 out of 5 stars I particularly loved the way he used two points of view to ..., 25 April 2015
Up to Brookmyre's usual standards. I particularly loved the way he used two points of view to set up parallel story lines - although he created a suspenseful ending to each chapter, which worked wonderfully, the reader had to keep going to see how the parallel stories would converge. Of course he made us wait till the end and I must say that it wasn't at all obvious (ie I didn't guess it).

Powder And Patch
Powder And Patch
by Georgette Heyer

3.0 out of 5 stars A second rate Heyer? Really?, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Powder And Patch (Paperback)
This is by far the weakest of Georgette Heyer's early novels, yet it does succeed in building misunderstanding on misunderstanding. It is the way that it concludes which seems a little weak. The novel should have been longer and then she would have done it better. Having said all that, I still regard this as a goodish read.

Sprig Muslin
Sprig Muslin
by Georgette Heyer

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Sprig Muslin (Paperback)
While not as good as her earliest novels, Georgette Heyer retains a very sure touch. The book proceeds smoothly through scrape after scrape, and holds the reader well. Unlike so much drivel on the bookshelves today, it is well written by someone who can write English without creating some unique grammatical rules all of their own; and who is an authority on the Regency period through meticulous research.

La Hacienda 60538 Medium Colorado Chimenea Cover - Grey
La Hacienda 60538 Medium Colorado Chimenea Cover - Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective accessory, 1 July 2014
It works. What more can one say?

The British: A Genetic Journey
The British: A Genetic Journey
by Alistair Moffat

2.0 out of 5 stars Genetics without the DNA, 1 July 2014
This book was particularly disappointing as a follow up to the far superior 'The Origins of the British' by Stephen Oppenheimer. There was very little genetic information contained in it, and while Moffat did manage to mention that tribes on both sides of the Channel had the same names, he failed to pick up on the point that most of those tribes were germanic - not Celtic. If you want to know where the British come from, this book is not likely to tell you too much.

Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View
Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View

3.0 out of 5 stars Deep PoV rules, OK?, 1 July 2014
The book was ok but didn't really add a great deal to what I'd already picked up from the Internet. I hope that a second reading (which the book is definitely worth having) will boost my opinion and give me some good tips for a second draft I'm going to start to work on in September.

Kindred
Kindred

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Kindred (Kindle Edition)
I finished this book more than a week ago and I'm still thinking about it. It was totally gripping and the method of writing got me involved with Dana, the heroine, from the outset.

Etekcity® USB 3.0 10-Port High Speed HUB with 5V/2.1A USB Charging Port,backward Compatible with USB 2.0 for Laptops, Ultrabooks and Tablet PCs With USB 3.0 Cable 3ft and 12V 4A Power Adapter Support all version Windows, MAC and Linux systems[VIA Latest VL812 Chipset]

5.0 out of 5 stars Desk Tidy, 1 May 2014
My desk was a shambles until I bought this little device. Using USB3.0, which my computer accepts, I've been able to to work out which bits I should keep from my old pc and which bits - like the numeric keypad - don't work any longer. Now I can target future purchases. Another thing that surprised me was that an old external hard drive, which simply wouldn't work through the USB2.0 hub I had been using, suddenly came back to life. And one of the most important things of all - the right hand side of my desk has suddenly become very tidy, and all because of this. Don't forget either that I can turn the power to a group of USBs on and off.

Dutch: An Essential Grammar (Routledge Essential Grammars)
Dutch: An Essential Grammar (Routledge Essential Grammars)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a Beginner, 1 May 2014
This book is perfect for a beginner. I use it alongside the Michel Thomas system, and it is enormously helpful to read the rules associated with what I'm learning. And it was just right for someone at my level. I was prepared for it to be really weighty - like Hammer's German Grammar - but it is much simpler than that. The examples given help towards building my vocabulary too.

Finding Takri
Finding Takri
by Palo Stickland

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful blend of history with fiction, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Finding Takri (Paperback)
A lovely blend of fiction set in the history of the Punjab and of Glasgow. I can recommend this novel to anyone.

Page: 1 | 2