Profile for ws > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Cherry Blossoms, Sushi and Takarazuka - Seven Years in Japan
Cherry Blossoms, Sushi and Takarazuka - Seven Years in Japan

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved every second of this fascinating book, 28 Mar 2014
Well written, entertaining, educational and informative. I learned a lot about an alien culture, fell in love with it a little, and grew immense respect for the authors quest to live and work in Japan. I shall never see Japan in such a blase, indifferent light again!

Twelve Years a Slave
Twelve Years a Slave

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sad, as much as it will elate the soul in places, 27 Jan 2014
This book is such a mixture of hope and sorrow, rejoicement and anguish. Following the true story of a freeman of the state of New York, who is 'kidnapped' by trickery and sold into a life of slavery in Lousiana, we are then told of his horrendous 12-year battle to survive and somehow remain hopeful of regaining his freedom. Having had the luxury of freedom, a family, a respectable place in society, an education and a real love of life, this allows him to see the suffering and tragedy of his fellow slaves through a thoroughly human perspective; unlike the black man who has spent his life in chains, he understands what kind of hell his fellow human slaves are living in comparison to their white owners. In a way this makes his narrative all the more poignant.
We also get a true idea of the history of the African American slave trade and how life was for them all, including an in-depth knowledge of how slaves were traded, kept, and even bred. An interesting component of the book is the description of how white and American Indian blood becomes mixed in amongst the black slaves, and sadly how looking white does not a free man make.
The book has a happy ending for our Author but you will be left forever heartbroken for other slaves he met, and you will weep for the lack of humanity we once had and still possess as a world nation.
Solomon coulod not have written a more important book and it is one that people should acquaint themselves with throughout the world. Many lessons to learn are freely given within.

Epson WorkForce WF-2530WF Ultra compact and reliable 4-in-1 for the small office printer with Wifi and AirPrint

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow, badly made, poor quality!, 17 Dec 2013
I needed this printer in a desperate hurry so placed an order using Amazon Prime.

It arrived today, brand new packaging, obviously never opened. Box undamaged. I cannot blame Amazon for the large chunk of plastic that's been taken out of the printers casing. Or the bent plug pins that stopped us plugging the printer into the electric socket.

Printer works now we put a brand new plug on it, not too bad to set it up - some people have had problems I read from reviews. Print quality is rough; colours are lined and grainy. It may improve with some fiddling and calibrating. I wouldn't want to use it to print photographs though.

Will have to ignore the missing chunk of plastic. Shouldn't have to replace a plug before you can use a brand new item! Not good.

If I didn't need this printer so urgently and if I hadn't also bought printer inks for it, I would have sent it back and bought another brand. My last printer was also an Epson and it broke just after 12 months light use. It stopped recognising print cartridges (the proper Epson ones I might add). I put it down to being 'one of those things' but now I am beginning to think that Epson just make really bad, poor quality printers.

So... Quality? What quality? Let's see how long this 'friday' model lasts. It wasn't made with any care.

Consider carefully what other brands of printer are out there before you buy Epson. This will be my last Epson printer after the last two I bought.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2014 9:51 AM GMT

Peppa Pig: A Christmas Compilation [Volume 20] [DVD]
Peppa Pig: A Christmas Compilation [Volume 20] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Phil Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Has kept my daughter happy for the past couple of days!, 3 Dec 2013
There are some very lovely Christmassy episodes worthy of a place in any little Peppa fans DVD collection. My little girl was very happy to find this sat with her Elf On The Shelf on December 1st and she's watched it everyday so far. No doubt it will get well played between now and the end of Christmas!

Personalised Whisky Glass- Birthday or Wedding gift with free engraving
Personalised Whisky Glass- Birthday or Wedding gift with free engraving
Offered by Lapal Dimension

4.0 out of 5 stars Well engraved but quite light, 3 Dec 2013
The glass is good quality and the engraving has been done very neatly. It arrived promptly from the seller I chose (GC). My only gripe is that the engraving is lighter than we hoped for. It will probably be more visible once there's a drink in it at Christmas!

Soup for Every Day: 365 of Our Favourite Recipes (New Covent Garden Soup Company)
by New Covent Garden Soup Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for all tastes!, 29 Nov 2013
I've had this book a week and already tried out four recipes and made a long list of recipes I'd like to make! There's a huge range of recipes to choose from and plenty of vegetarian choices as well, although it lacks slightly on bean soups if you're looking to cater for that group of vegetarians and vegans. It suts my family as we are a mix of meat eaters and veggies.

If you're on a budget, it's worth reading through so you're aware of the vast range of vegetables used and keep an eye out for offers when shoppng; I made one recipe after seeing broccoli on offer and knew that there was a recipe for broccoli and stilton soup. Alas, I didn't figure that although many recipes use onion in their base, some use leeks. This was one such soup. I used onion and it was delicious, but leek would have been more subtle; it's clear why leek is used.

You will need some basics in your fridge or cupboards if you intend to regularly dip into this book; onions, leek, garlic, dried herbs, butter and oil all feature regularly. You will also need a blender (a hand blender works fine).

The recipes are fuss-free and quick; even the butter and haricot bean recipe I made only required an hour soak time. They're also flexible and if like me you're not a precise cook who weighs everything, you'll find that they still turn out great.

The book is simple to access; recipes are set out clearly and seasons/times of year are colour coded on the page edges. There are no photographs but that didn't bother me as much as I thought it might! I was surprised at the visual end result of my butter bean soup due to lack of photographs as it looked like baked beans (tasted much better though). I'll also say that the idea of seasons is nice but less relavent than it could be, as not all the recipes are seasonal or at least, not only relavent to the time of year they are listed under.

The cover is a goodlooking hardback and pages are well bound. If you are considerng this as a gift it would be good to combine with some jars of dried herbs and a handblender!

I'm very pleased with my new cookbook and it will get plenty of use!

Morphy Richards Power Steam Elite 42223 Pressurised Steam Generator Ceramic Soleplate - Plum/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Bliss!, 18 Sep 2013
My last cheap-o steam gen iron broke after 20 months, so I hot footed it to Asda to get one in the same price range (£70) and it was just terrible, no more steam than a normal iron, no pressure, and the steam poured out of it for 30 seconds after pressing the steam button. I had visions of my three year old getting scolded. Back it went.

I really didn't want to spend so much on a new iron but the reviews for this one attracted me and in the end I hit buy. It's been the best thing I ever did.

For starters it has a TWO year guarantee. You just need to register your purchase at Morphy Richards to get two years (otherwise its 12 months).

It looks the bees knees, it really does. But the looks refect equally impressive functions and performance.

The tank holds a huge amount of water which is brilliant. Okay, this does add to the weight of the tank part so you do need a decent ironing board or a table to put the tank on. Establised steam gen iron owners will already know about the tank/base's weight anyway.

The iron itself is very light with a fabric setting dial that isn't easily knocked, and a ceramic plate (much better than a metal one). It glides over fabric.

You don't need to buy those ridiculously expensive cartridges for softening the water. I think I must have spent £50 on those in 18 months with my last steam gen. I could have bought a decent steam gen in the first place for what it cost me! This steam gen iron has self cleaning functionality, an indicator to tell you it needs descaling, and a very easy action to manually rinse out the boiler when descaling is necessary.

The steam control panel is so easy. A central on/off button and to the left the indicator that it's switched on, an indicator that the water tank needs refilling, and an indicator to tell you that it needs descaling. On the right are three buttons for the three steam levels. Press the appropriate one and wait for the light to stop flashing and you're good to go!

Heat-up time is very fast, within a couple of minutes I'd say. Much faster than my last steam gen.

As for ironing time, what can I say? It wipes the floor with my last steam gen. I got through five seven kilo loads of ironing yesterday with no effort and every garment was a pleasure to iron. I zipped through it. I've never ironed anything so quickly!

I won't look back to the cheaper irons now, this is worth every penny I spent and at the current price it's an absolute bargain.

I love my new iron :)

Electronic Cigarettes - My Research Findings and Switch, What's good & what's not

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible to make people pay for scant information which is easily available online for free, 9 Sep 2013
There are very many people in the world who have an absolute wealth of information about e-cigarettes, and will give you help and advice for free at the drop of an email or a forum message. There are websites geared to help new users everywhere.
There are people who have made it their passion to learn about and test every new electronic cigarette device on the market and they've been around e-cigs a lot longer than the author and know an awful lot more than the author even starts to touch on in this pretty useless 'guide'.
Sorry, but I could write a better book than this, as a vaper since January 2009 (my very last ciggy was then!). It's just that I'm not in the business of taking money off people for advice, I give my advice freely to anyone who asks.

Just... don't bother with this book, type electronic cigarette forum into google and get started that way, us vapers are very pleased to help anyone make the transition across from the old analogue cigarettes!

Really, DON'T bother with this book!

Krüger Chai Latte Fresh India, Ginger-Lemongrass, Milk-Tea, 5 Pack, 5 x 10 Sachets
Offered by About-Tea & About-Coffee Shop, Preise inkl. MwSt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious product, shame it's not freely available in the UK!, 23 Aug 2013
I bought this as a gift for my friend, who adores this product. It's made by a German company so it's not freely available here. Sainsburys did stock varaints of this brand of latte at one time but it's now really hard to get hold of.

I love visiting my friend and enjoying a cup of this with her, it's a very special drink.

Each box has ten sachets (much like you buy sachets of hot chocolate). You simply add the contents of a sachet to a mug and pour over very hot water. The result is a deliciously sweet, very creamy, frothy drink.

The chai latte with ginger and lemongrass (and green tea extract) is both my friends and my favourite. It has a wonderful creamy lemon flavour with undertones of spicey ginger. Very luxurious. (It reminds me of crema de limoncello, the alcoholic liqueur, but of course this has no alcohol). It's just a very lovely, fragrant, rich and comforting drink.

Fabulous drunk at bedtime!

102 Puzzle Quizzes HD (Interactive Puzzlebook for Tablets)
102 Puzzle Quizzes HD (Interactive Puzzlebook for Tablets)

3.0 out of 5 stars Whiles away a bored minute, 7 May 2013
It's a good little set of brainteasers, good for a bored few minutes. Useful that on a kindle fire you can tap for the answer without scrolling to the answer page. I enjoyed it. I wouldn't have paid for this book though!

Page: 1 | 2