Profile for M. Jones > Reviews

Content by M. Jones

M. Jones (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Puregadgets(c) Heavy Duty Bike Bicycle Cycle Maintenance Mechanic Repair Folding Work Stand Tool Mountain Bike with quick release handle and clamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 3 Mar. 2015
Well, this is the Mutts Nuts as far as I'm concerned. I have four bikes and all need service and repair from time to time so decided it was time to get the real thing instead of a neighbours kid to hold the bike still for me or working on it upside down!

I'm impressed with the quality for the money, only the evening before I was in my local Decathlon looking at their offerings and at well over twice the price of this one I can, hand on heart, say this one knocks the others into fits.

My first job was to sort out the gear indexing on my main bike as it wasn't shifting as it should. Normally this would have seen me with the bike perched in the turbo trainer, balancing on one knee, spanner between my teeth, and head on the floor trying to get a bead on the correct adjustment of the rear mech over the cassette. Not with this beaut, I arranged in such a manner that the rear mech was at waist height and a doddle to adjust, it even has a niffty little tool tray for the spanner so I didn't have to hold it between my teeth.

I can now see all those little jobs that need doing getting done and the hoodie next door will probably be relieved too that he no longer has to text his mates with one hand while holding the bike still for me with the other and trying to push his hood back that's slipped ovver his eyes so he can't see the phone! :-)

It's interesting to note that only one person gave this a 3 star because "the clamp couldn't be turned up" and they sent it back. The clamp has two places you can easily adjust it to turn any which way you want it. As Winny said, "You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time"

Body Sculpture BR3010  Rower & Gym
Body Sculpture BR3010 Rower & Gym

5.0 out of 5 stars I Almost cancelled it!!, 11 Jan. 2015
I Got the rower gym this morning and i have to say I almost cancelled it after reading some of the reviews. I'm well impressed, it actually took me longer to remove all the packaging than it did to put the thing together it is so well packaged.

It's early days yet but with the instructional DVD that comes with it I can see this being a regular part of my fitness regime that is already in place. I have given it a quick try and can say, although I'm six foot, I have no problems with the travel on the seat as some other reviewers seem to have had. My only problem was that I jumped in with both feet and went for maximum tension on all the exercises, not wise, start low and build to maximum slowly!

The exercises are low impact and very easy even for someone who is just starting off on their fitness journey so have fun and enjoy and I'll revisit this review in a month or two when I have had chance to put some serious time in on it and amend the review accordingly.

Well, it's only been 2 weeks and I am back revisiting the review. I read all the reviews before I brought the rower and the ones since and like most reviewers I try to be helpful and constructive to help others make an informed decision, just writing "It's crap, don't buy it, I got rid of mine the next day." Isn't constructive at all, it doesn't say what issues you experienced or whether they were the same as others had experienced or completely new ones that could be attributed to lack of intelligence due in part to the current gene pool.

Okay, like at least one other I experienced the first elastic on the left as you are sat on the machine did jump off the rails and was sticking, not rocket surgery to put it back on, it took two seconds and hasn't been a problem since, hardly worth "boxing it up and sending it back" the next day.

Secondly,if you are looking for a Gym quality machine for 70 - 80 quid you will be disappointed, this is strictly home/amateur use and does the job admirably.

Thirdly: I am 6 foot tall and I ignored the advice on the accompanying DVD after watching it a couple of times as my experience of these things is they are what the manufacturer tells the DVD producer to say. I went on You tube (there are plenty of fitness Gurus on there) and searched for Proper Rowing technique on a machine. I followed this advice from said Gurus and I neither hit the front stops or rear with the seat when rowing.

Fourthly: there seems to be an issue with the digital counter and this was attributed to the wire being cut through when the machine was folded away. So, when I built it I used a little insulation tape just to tape the slack into the box section so it couldn't get cut when being folded away.

Finally: It is advertised as rower-gym, I tried the gym exercises and found I was duplicating my upper body workout I do with dumbbells and it didn't seem so effective so I just use it as a rower now and it has helped over the mere two weeks I've had it to strengthen my core, relieve my lower back pain and get rid of the last of my pot belly I couldn't shift for love nor money with other exercise, I hope this helps you in your decision.

[DRSKIN] DB04 Compression Tight Pants Base Layer Running Pants Leggings Men Women
Offered by WORLD BUY365 INC.
Price: £10.49 - £20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad quality for the money, 22 Dec. 2014
These are great for the money the title is a little misleading though. Yes they are a base layer and for the money decent quality but they don't offer any compression support and they are see through when you have them on.

Used as a base layer under Nike, Karimor, Kalenji or Adidas winter running tights though you would be warm and dry as they wick well and I find the afore mentioned running tights offer good support anyway. I'm 6 foot, 34 waist and 32 inside leg weighing in at 75kg and the large fit fine just to give you some idea of the sizing.

I've given them a 5 as they are a good base layer and obviously so once you get your hands on them but if they had been claimed to be just compression tights it would have been a one I'm afraid

LYNCOL Bike Bicycle Magnetic Trainer Turbo Trainer Indoor Stationary Exercise Stand Steel Frame
Offered by checknow

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 5 Sept. 2014
Excellent piece of kit and great value for money. I agree with other reviewers that road tyres are best as off road tyres make a little noise. Having said that, when the weathers real bad and I can't get out on the bike, I can now do an hour indoors.

It's well made and considering the cost it favourably compares with some of the more expensive models on the market. There is a little self assembly but nothing too taxing. Setting the bike up for the first time was a bit cumbersome so you might want to grab a spare set of hands to help but once you have everything set, all you need to do is slacken off one side to release the bike and it's easy to drop the bike back in next time around and tighten one bolt.

A month later and I have to say this is definitely the best piece of kit I invested in, bike aside. Even after a mornings riding I find myself strapping the bike into the trainer and doing another hour in the evening as it's so robust and easy to use.

Edit: we are now in March 2015 and I have used this daily sometimes twice a day for an hour at a time through the winter months. After a couple of weeks it got a bit laborious taking the bike in and out so I could use it on the road and this is my only gripe with it but now I have four bikes and one of which was salvaged and is now just dedicated to leave in the Turbo Trainer with the same gearing as my main bike so I can get the same workout either out on the road or in the TT. Hope this review helps you decide.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2014 12:06 PM BST

The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance (Haynes)
The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance (Haynes)
by Mark Storey

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Read, 16 July 2014
I got this manual as I have recently got back into cycling at 51. In my youth we frequently stripped and rebuilt old bikes and used them for years before building another from cannibalised old bikes we had given us.

As technology moves on and having just brought a cheap "fixer upper" to play with during the winter months I saw this manual and thought Haynes have done me proud in the past with car manuals so why not? It arrived today and looking through It seems clear and concise to me. Explains a lot of the questions I had and can save you pounds just by following the easy servicing section and regular checks.

Ok, I'm no expert mechanic but I think for the average cyclist with half an ounce of acumen looking to do their own repairs and servicing or even tackle something bigger then I would recommend this manual and if you do find any gaps in the info, there's always You Tube!

Edit: So, it's been nearly a year and I now have four bikes and this little gem has saved me a fortune on servicing and repair bills. With one of each, solid and one quick release rear axle broken and replaced, two bottom brackets replaced with shimano cassette type BB's and countless other repairs and mods, I couldn't have done it without the Haynes manual and it has probably saved me at least the cost of the book five or six times over, well chuffed.

Streetwize SWCC5 3 Bicycle Carrier Towball Fitting
Streetwize SWCC5 3 Bicycle Carrier Towball Fitting
Offered by Megastore 247

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb bit of kit, 7 July 2014
For the money this is a superb piece of kit. Fits perfectly on the towing hitch, I like the added securing feature at the bottom which you don't get on the more expensive well known brands which means it can't move at all. I swung off the thing to make sure it would do the job and it never budged. I do question though whether it would actually accommodate three bikes as two seemed about it's limit.

Where the locking pin fits I would recommend a long shackle padlock, that way you can leave it attached to the car while you're off on a ride without fears of it being nicked or having to keep taking it off and putting it back on although this operation literately takes seconds to do straight out the box. Folds nice and compact for storage what more is there to say.

Death in Paradise - Series 2 [DVD]
Death in Paradise - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series from the BBC in a long time, 29 Jun. 2014
Season two of this wonderfully funny program did not disappoint and I'm looking forward to season three as Ben Miller's return to the Island in the final episode as more or less guaranteed that

Hi-Tec Eurotrek Waterproof, Men's Hiking Boots, Black, 8 UK
Hi-Tec Eurotrek Waterproof, Men's Hiking Boots, Black, 8 UK
Offered by Yeomans Outdoor Leisure

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots, 17 Jun. 2014
My brother has had a pair of these boots for over 25 years, he only wears them on walking holidays and not every day but that's still no mean feat for a pair of boots and we have done some walking over the years. The difference is I wear mine on a daily basis being a dog walker.

So after paying much more for "Branded" boots that didn't last 12 months I got these ones in black. I have to say, they're like bedroom slippers straight out of the box and very comfortable. I see that some have complained about them not being water proof but I can honestly say that I have experienced no problems even after slipping into Tallybont reservoir almost up to the top of the boot my feet where still bone dry.

Great boot for the money and very comfortable even wearing them over long periods through the day. 5 Stars definitely.

Minky Table Top Ironing Board (79cm x 29cm)
Minky Table Top Ironing Board (79cm x 29cm)
Offered by Home & Garden Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, 17 Jun. 2014
Love this, came with a plain blue cover which I prefer to the flowery one in the picture, it small, compact and does the job perfectly and folds away in to the smallest cupboard. Well made and great for the money.

Streetwize SWPET3 Pet Boot Protector for 4x4 Estates & SUVs
Streetwize SWPET3 Pet Boot Protector for 4x4 Estates & SUVs
Offered by EuroCarParts

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Peice of Kit, 24 May 2014
This is a great piece of kit for the money and the material is good quality. I read a few of the reviews before ordering a saw a few gripes about it not fitting smaller cars!!! I have a Renault Megane Estate and it fits perfectly. I did follow one other reviewers advice though and discarded the self adhesive Velcro strips as the Velcro attached to the liner actual sticks to the material of the side panels of the boot with little trouble.

It's easy to remove and clean and already saved me money on cleaning the carpet as after two days of it being installed one of my boys cut his pad on our walk and jumped in the back of the car before I noticed and it was like a scene from CSI Miami. Would I recommend it, Yes and the service was superb it arrived the next day and well before the expected delivery date.

Page: 1 | 2