Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Helsinki, Finland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
by Neil Gaiman

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect too much, 23 Jan. 2004
This review is from: American Gods (Paperback)
I suppose if you believe that the purpose of art is to generate a reaction then this book has certainly been a success. It's true that there are a lot of flaws in this book, most of which have been covered by T. Ross from Washington and ak118 from Cambridge, so I'll try to keep this short. If Loki feeds of Chaos, then surely he should be more than sated in the modern world. Chaos must have increased exponentially over the last couple of centuries. Think of computer crashes, traffic jams and cancelled flights just for starters. I also don't understand how Shadow is supposed to love his wife so much when he seems to lack any emotion and she's so two dimentional and shallow. The book is too long and the story plods rather and I felt no empathy for any of the characters, except posibly for Sam, who's under developed.

Pompeii
Pompeii
by Robert Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, 2 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Pompeii (Hardcover)
I enjoyed reading this book very much. The story is simple and straightforward, greed and corruption in ancient rome. The characters never really have time to develope as the book is so short, most are stereotypes. The nice thing about the book is the ambience, there's a real feeling of what a roman town must have been like. I've only read 'Fatherland' before but this is something very different, though equally good. If you're after suspense and excitement then you may not enjoy this book. I think it's one of the signs of a good author when he can write a book in a different style to that for which he is known, and still succeed. I think this book meets that criterion. The book felt too short to me , as if there was too little material to work with, I'd have liked an extra 100 pages or so. I liked the ending.

Pretty Straight Guys
Pretty Straight Guys
by Nick Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than 'Stupid White Men', 21 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Pretty Straight Guys (Hardcover)
This is the best book I've read all year. Nick Cohen pulls no punches and is highly critical of the hypocricy of many politicians, journalists and businessmen. I read 'Stupid White Men' earlier this year and enjoyed it enormously, but I also found it essentially superficial, lots of stats but mainly just a big rant. This is different, plenty of ranting, but backed up by much more detail. Ever wondered what the Enron scandal was all about? Well Nick Cohen explains all in easy to read english (he should get an award from the clear english society). There's also the apparently dodgy dealings of the Dome, Hinduja brothers, Mittal, Eccleston, Worldcom and Arthur Anderson. Have you wondered why asylum seekers suddenly became the hate figures of the lowest common denominator press? Well look no further. There's also a bit about how we've been duped about crime by Tony's New right wing Labour party. But Nick Cohen's ire isn't reserved exclusively for the political right. He quite rightly ponders on the sudden support of the left for Saddam Hussein when he became America's enemy. As he correctly points out, it's the same people who complained when America supported tyrants (including Saddam Hussein), as are now complaining about America removing one. This is a well writen and excellently researched book and I urge everyone who plans to vote in the next general election to read it. Though who you'll vote for is a mystery to me.

by Neil Gaiman

3.0 out of 5 stars overly long, 19 Nov. 2003
This review is from: American Gods (Paperback)
Most of the reviews of this book are, like the book itself, too long. I suppose if you believe that the purpose of art is to generate a reaction then this book has certainly been a success. It's true that there are a lot of flaws in this book, most of which have been covered by T. Ross from Washington and ak118 from Cambridge, so I'll try to keep this short. Gaiman seems to under use the word 'and'. I mean for example he has a habit of writing sentences like 'He finished his food, went to the toilet.' (not from the book). This just sounds wrong to me, though I'm no expert on grammar. Surely it should read 'He finished his food and went to the toilet.' or if he insists in his crusade against the word 'and' then 'Finnishing his food, he went to the toilet.' This may sound trivial but I found it very and increasingly annoying, it seriously marred my enjoyment of thebook. One other thing, if Loki feeds of Chaos, then surely he should be more than sated in the modern world. Chaos must have increased exponentially over the last couple of centuries. Think of computer viruses and traffic jams just for starters. I also don't understand how Shadow is supposed to love his wife so much when he seems to lack any emotion and she's so two dimentional. The book is too long and the story plods rather and I felt no empathy for any of the characters, except for Sam.

Lost in a Good Book: Thursday Next Book 2
Lost in a Good Book: Thursday Next Book 2
by Jasper Fforde

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost some originality, 13 Nov. 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed The Eyre Affair and so looked forward to reading the sequel. In my opinion the book lacks the freshness of the first. Jumping from book to book has lost it's charm. I couldn't understand the idea of Thursday 'jumping' to her flat from a book using a written description, surely she would just end up in the written description. Maybe I missed a plot device but how does Miss Havisham get into Goliath's basement? As an obviously British book written for a British readership I found the Americanisms very irritating like 'elevator' and 'store' and 'filling station' I mean come on, going to a 'filling station' to get 'petrol' just sounds stupid. I am finding Thursday increasingly boring as a character, maybe a bit of character developement is needed. On the plus side there are some very funny bits (mostly one liners) in this book. On the whole though a bit too similar to the first for me.

Cloud of Sparrows
Cloud of Sparrows
by Takashi Matsuoka
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read, 26 Sept. 2003
When I first started to read this book I thought oh dear how contrived to place a 'gunslinger' in nineteenth century Japan. It also took me a while to get used to the authors style of story telling. There are lots of very short sections (especially during periods of intense action) with the same events unfolding from different characters perspectives. Ultimately however the scenario works exceedingly well, and the short sections help to increase suspence. For me the measure of a good novel is that I want to read it all the time to find out what's going to happed next, while at the same time I don't want it to end. This book meets that criterion. There is a lot of violence towards children in this book which, as the father of a young family I found quite disturbing. On the whole though an excellent read, I look forward to the next installment.

Xbox Official Controller
Xbox Official Controller

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very durable, 19 Sept. 2003
The controller is ok ergonomically, feels ok in the hand etc. Maybe the buttons are a tad too close together, I've certainly pressed the wrong one during critical situations. My main gripe however is the fact that the left trigger button tends to stick after being squeezed. This happens on both of my controllers. On Madden for example the left trigger does a line shift on defence and my guys were jumping all over the place. The other problem is the left thumb stick which also seems to stick somehow, for example if I want to run forward my guy just creeps along (it's to the right on my other controller), not much cop in a shoot em up or a sports sim. Now the thumbstick problem doesn't happen all the time and the left trigger problem mainly depends what game I'm playing. These problems started after the controllers were about 9 months old. All in all I'd say that a game controller should last a bit longer than that and be a bit more reliable. I wonder if anyone has had the same problems? I feel Microsoft have let me down with this product.

The Summons
The Summons
by John Grisham

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor indeed, 13 Mar. 2003
This review is from: The Summons (Paperback)
I've never read any John Grisham before and certainly won't again. The main character is about the most boring person I've ever come across in a book. I found I actually wanted nasty things to happen to him just to spice up the narrative. By far the most interesting character in this rather plodding story is the brother of the main character, he should have had much more time devoted to him. On the whole character developement was non existent, and their motivations were basically greed and selfishness. Obviously the central character wanted to have some free money (ie no taxes) but lacked the imagination and drive of his brother. This also contradicts the main theme of the book, which is that one brother is law abiding (ie good) and the other is not.
Having never read any John Grisham before -but having heared of him- I was expecting something at least entertaining, if not exactly great literature. What I got was boring and over long (possibly a short story). I'll stick to Ian Banks and Terry Pratchet I think.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3