ARRAY(0xb2864120)

Profile for Jarreck Dilynda > Reviews

Content by Jarreck Dilynda

Jarreck Dilynda "Sci-Fi chick" (Up North, England)

Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
by John Vornholt

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek Next Generation - Contamination, 9 Dec 2006
I was very dubious about reading this book but I have all the Next Generation books and am reading them in order. I am NOT a fan of Troi at all and find her character too 'girlie' for my liking, although I know she toughens up a lot in the 'Time to' series and 'Titan' novels. But to my utter surprise I really enjoyed this novel. it has a fast pace and succeeds in linking two seperate stories very well. TV can not get inside the characters minds like a book can and Vornholt, like the other authors of this series, does very well adding another dimension to them. I found muself beginning to like Troi a bit more.

Murder, lies, cover ups and breaking of Federation laws all aboard the Enterprise surely not - you better believe it and that is just the start. Worf, Troi and Wes have to find the truth. I found it absolutely gripping, and am looking forward to the next installment written by Vornholt as I also enjoyed 'Masks' his first Star Trek Next Gen Novel.

Small-Minded Giants
Small-Minded Giants
by Oisin McGann

3.0 out of 5 stars Small Minded Giants, 13 Nov 2006
This review is from: Small-Minded Giants (Paperback)
There is a warning on the reverse of my copy that does state not suitable for young children and I agree with that. I am not a parent myself but this is quite dark (literally) and graphically violent in places it also deals with the shadier side of the human character most of the way through. I would not want my youngest nephew (9) to read this, pretty sure my elder one (13) could cope with it though, obviously it is personal choice.

As the main character is 16 I presume this book is aimed at teenagers and young adults, I am neither yet enjoyed it thouroughly, although not my normal Sci-Fi style book to read.

I am glad I bought this book on impulse whilst on holiday. It is a great story line, strong characters throughout, well paced, conspiracy theories, this book has the lot. I found myself lost in a world within a world, with more twists and turns than a country lane. I read it in three sittings. It is believeable throughout and in many places it is possible to see the world we live in now turning into Ash Harbour.

Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan)
Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan)
by Christopher L. Bennett
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Orions Hounds, 8 Nov 2006
This is all about a fairly new crew (and readers) getting to each other and settle into routines. Of course 'trouble' is never far away and Riker seems to know where to find it. Riker is maturing into a geat Captain (we all knew he would be) but there are elements of Picard in there too, although his style is more relaxed then Picard's. If you like Star Trek in general then you will like this, if you are Riker/Troi fan you will really like this series so far.

Not everything is what it seems in space, something that is equally as true on our own planet and in our own real lifes.

I am really enjoying the Titan series maybe because I am a Next Gen Gal and love Riker - but the Titan series are carrying on the great traditions of Star Trek and uphold the Morals created by Gene Roddenberry.

Can't wait for the next installment

The Memory of Whiteness (Voyager)
The Memory of Whiteness (Voyager)
by Kim Stanley Robinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Memory of Whiteness, 8 Nov 2006
To say I was dissapointed after reading this is not even close. I had read good reviews about other KSR books and thought I would give this a go.

I found his use of tenses, and constant flitting between them, hard to follow, infact they flitted so much after 30 minutes I had a headache and could not remember who was where and doing what. His characters to me seemed as though they had no flesh to them, the main character seemed as distant to me as him home planet - Pluto (sorry mini planet now) maybe that was the intention but it took away so much for me.

Although I really really liked the concept behind the book I did not enjoy the execution of that concept. Maybe because I only have a basic grasp of physics and music parts of the plot were lost on me, but I fear that is not really the case. My overwhelming feeling on the last page was relief that I had finally finished it and it had not defeated me.

The beauty of books is that someones despair will be someone elses love so I hope you get as much out of this book as I did not. I also hope his writing has improved and matured over time because I got his latest book as a present.

Seven Ancient Wonders (Jack West Junior 1)
Seven Ancient Wonders (Jack West Junior 1)
by Matthew Reilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven Ancient Wonders, 8 Nov 2006
I have read some of the other online reviews and to be honest can't believe these people have read the same book. This book is well written, character driven and fast paced. It is fiction, therefore does it matter if it is not factual? If all fiction was based on reality then whole sections of fiction would never be published - Lord Of the Rings, The Dark Tower Series, Time Travellers Wife and so on. I admit his grasp of Astronomy does need a bit of work, but this did not spoil the book for me. And his subject matter has all but gone from this planet, so who can really say where they all ended up or why, Reilly's explanations are as valid as anyone elses.

A friend described it as Indiana Jones meets Andy Mcnab and Reilly himself states he was going for that feel. Ironically my friend did not enjoy the first chapter until he read Reilly's notes at the back and then re-read the first chapter again but with the Indiana Jones/McNabb analagy and after that, like me, absolutely loved the book. Personally I love historical/archaeological novels (Last Templar is a cracker too) and the basis for finding the Hanging Gardens was, to me, impressive. This is in short an extremely fast paced action thriller that takes you across the world and pits many different sides against each other. Yes what happens is unbelievable in places, but exciting, it is a fictonal book not a University text book. I like my fiction to transport me beyond the realms of reality, I am pretty sure I am not alone in that requirement. If I get time I will read this again, but there are so many books and so little time.

Ice Station
Ice Station
by Matthew Reilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Ice Station, 8 Nov 2006
This review is from: Ice Station (Paperback)
Wow what a book and what an Author.

This is the second of Reilly's that I have read and have Area 7 in my to read pile. The action never stops. This is James Bond on heat. If you like action, suspense, thrills, conspiricy theories, impossible acts that seem plausible, your heros to be bold but flawed and don't mind a very small smattering of reality then this is your guy. Oh and the body count is huge but required for the story, the main character takes no prisoners but neither do the others sides.

Cracking book and well worth every penny as is Seven Ancient Wonders of his, the other one I have read.

Read this book and be amazed by the sheer intensity and pace.

Veniss Underground
Veniss Underground
by Jeff VanderMeer

4.0 out of 5 stars Veniss Underground, 8 Nov 2006
This review is from: Veniss Underground (Paperback)
This is Vandermeer's first Novel and is wonderfully crafted. It reminds me of a Dali painting - both grotesque and glorious on the same page. This is not a typical Science Fiction book. It has elements of the finest horror and fantasy in a world just about familiar enough to believe in. His style is free flowing and easy, with language that makes you feel you are with the characters. The three main Characters are written in different tenses, this just adds to the feel of the book and Characters. I read this in one sitting and at times wanted to block out some the images Vandermeer made me create in my head, but at the same time wanted to know what happened next. A wonderful journey and a lesson as to where our world might go.