ARRAY(0xaa93057c)

Mary Berry's Baking Bible
by Mary Berry
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The best baking book ever, 17 Mar 2014
I bought this book recently to add to my collection of baking books and I've found it difficult to put down. Everything I've tried has worked perfectly and I just love Mary's style. Excellent.

The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers
The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers
Price: 4.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving but not uncommon, 17 Mar 2014
Having grown up in a 'good catholic home' everything about the story of Angela's early days is totally credible. My older sister was regularly threatened with being 'sent to the nuns' if my mother thought she was becoming too keen on a boy however my sister would have also been sent to Ireland where things were undoubtedly much worse. Having been in part educated by the nuns the only thing I would say was that the portrayal of them in the book was not cruel enough. I'd been in many of the places mentioned in the course of my life, St Charles Square, the Holiday Inn in Brentwood, it was so easy to visualise the places. I'm delighted that things are working out for Angela and would like to wish her the very best of luck. The opportunity you have doesn't come to everyone.

Benedict XVI, the resignation of a Pope
Benedict XVI, the resignation of a Pope
Price: 0.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful book with little base, 20 Mar 2013
I thought it was too soon to see a decent review of Benedict's papacy and I was right. This is a collection of cobbled together thoughts which are of little relevance to the church or the world at large. The longest and most boring chapter is about conflict with the Obama administrations' health reforms. It doesn't get much better either.

The Iron Curtain Kid
The Iron Curtain Kid
by Oliver Fritz
Price: 14.36

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent insight in to a little known world, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Iron Curtain Kid (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book which took me to a place that I knew little about. The author is the same age as me so reading through his account of growing up in East Germany was fascinating and it was easy to draw parallels to my own time growing up in the UK. I'm not sure that life was really that different and the strength of community spirit he describes was enviable, not something I remember experiencing at all. I don't think I would have wanted to change places but I did enjoy the read. It's not a historical, heavy account; just good solid observations on what life was like.