Profile for Ellie :) > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
To Capture A Highlander's Heart: The Beginning: A Highland Moonlight Spinoff
To Capture A Highlander's Heart: The Beginning: A Highland Moonlight Spinoff

3.0 out of 5 stars 10 minute read, 26 Mar. 2014
This was much shorter than I had expected it to be, with only 4 scenes in the whole "book". Although I suppose I can't complain as it was a free download on kindle.

I'm quite sure this is a "taster" to get you into the next book, but I probably won't go down that road. It was ok, but not overall enticing.

Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick (Mills & Boon Historical)
Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick (Mills & Boon Historical)
by Deb Marlowe

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one to excite!, 18 Mar. 2013
I read this book a few weeks ago, and I barely remember it at all, except that I was disappointed. It was just an ok attempt at HR to be honest; although the "party" scene was rather good.

Basically our hero (who I can't even remember the name of!) wants a collection of weapons varying from swords, to knives, to spears. He has some issues with his father and older brother, who are both deceased. He's been away from England for quite a long time, and when he comes back, it's to realise that the person he left in charge has been taken ill, and the guy's daughter has been managing his affairs instead.

Over the next few months the heroine, Chloe, realises she's falling/fallen in love with him and so resigns. Our hero follows her to London in the hope of tempting her back and also for her aid in gaining possesion of a unique spear. She agrees to help find it, and then along the road they fall in love.

It had so much potential, but just fell flat. I finished it & put it directly in the pile for taking to the charity shop, it certainly is not a book I will read again. It was my first Ms Marlowe book, and I probably wont buy another.

Lord of Temptation (Lost Lords of Pembrook)
Lord of Temptation (Lost Lords of Pembrook)
by Lorraine Heath

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 22 Dec. 2012
I pre-ordered this book after falling in love with Tristan's character & thoroughly enjoying "She Tempts the Duke". I'll be honest, it was a good book but I definitely preferred STtD.

Basically, this story picks up a year or so after the last one, where Tristan's still looking for something, as he's not felt whole since he had to run away from home at 14. He agree's to take Lady Anne on his ship to somewhere (I can't remember where! Isn't that awful!) but she doesn't know that he's Lord Tristan she believes him to be a normal sea captain. Anne's travelling to visit her dead fiance's grave, as she is re-entering society in the hopes to marry, but she needs closure.

During the journey home, Anne "gives herself" to Tristan because she doen't want any regrets.

Back in London, Tristan follows Anne back into society (which he hates as he doesn't feel like he belongs) but he's drawn back to Anne. Can they both overcome their demons?

I expect because I enjoyed STtD soooo much, I probably had too high a hope for this book, but it did fall a little flat for me. I hope Lorraine Heath really pulls something out of the bag for Rafe's story, I hope it doesn't disappoint like this one did :/

Romancing the Countess (Signet Eclipse)
Romancing the Countess (Signet Eclipse)
by Ashley March
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars for a different type of historical romance!, 22 Dec. 2012
I enjoyed this book because it was a different take on a typical historical romance - contains SPOILERS!

This story is split into 2 parts really, the before the wedding & after the wedding.

Briefly, this story starts wth the hero & the heroine married to their respective spouses; the husbands are best friends. Both marriages are shattered when a carriage accident kills both spouses. Sebastian is deeply in love with his wife, while Leah loved her husband until she found out he was having an affair over a year ago with Sebastian's wife! After the carriage accident, Sebastian realises that he was being cuckolded by his best friend, & approaches Leah to comfort her in her grief and ask her to avoid a scandal so that he can protect his son.

But Leah needs no comforting; she realises that her husband's death releases her from the restrictions and lie that she has been living for the last year.

In short, Leah decides to host a house party (terribly scandalous) so Sebastian attends to try & lessen the scandal. As the plot and house party develop, Sebastian fights with his increasing feelings for Leah and his grief for his wife, while Leah is enjoying her new found freedom whilst ignoring her feelings for Sebastian. Ultimately, Leah steps too far & she is then "ousted" by polite society and Sebastian leaves her to her own devices.

But Sebastian reaslises he can't let her face her scandal alone and so offers her marriage to repair her reputation - as he is an Earl & therefore she would become a Countess! Leah accepts because he proposes for practical reasons & says it has nothing to do with love; but, obviously, they rather satisfactorily fall in love.

I loved the way the relationship between Sebastian & Leah developed. This book was full of tension, frustration, grief and ultimately love. I read another review on this book and that reviewer stated that you witness Sebastian's grief but not Leah's; I don't think that's right, I think they both grief but in completely different ways, & although Leah believes she grieved for her husband & marriage when she found out about the affair, once she marries Sebastian you witness how much she has bottled herself up and how much damage her husband's infidelity caused her. Sebastian really has to coax her out of her insecurities and I think the way he is with her is so lovely :)

All in all a great book & I would definitely recommend it. I took 1/2 a star off because at times Leah pushed it a little too far for me, but a great attempt & I look forward to further works by Ashley March! :)

The Duchess Hunt (Mills & Boon Historical)
The Duchess Hunt (Mills & Boon Historical)
by Elizabeth Beacon

4.0 out of 5 stars A good opening to a new series, 9 Nov. 2012
This is the 1st book I have read by Ms Beacon, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

Miss Jessica Pendle is the unmarried eighth daughter of a viscount. At 23 she has accepted life on the shelf and is looking forward to spinsterhood in the country. Years earlier she had a riding accident which almost killed her and left her with a shattered ankle, and permanent limp. She has insecurity issues surrounding her disability, which does not prevent her from doing anything, but which lengthens the time it takes to do it.

Jack Seabourne is a duke, and nephew to Jessica's godmother. As such they have known each other forever. Jack needs to find a wife. His cousin and best friend Rich disappeared 3 years previously after his father died. It is Jack's belief that Rich will return once he hears that he is no longer Jack's heir, as he has never wanted the dukedom. In aid to find a wife quickly Jack, through his aunt, invites several young debutantes to his home for a 2 week period so he can choose one of them, but to make the situation bearable he invites Jess to keep him grounded.

Jack and Jess are at loggerheads most of the time, with Jack annoyed that she changed after her accident and continues to put herself below everyone else. Jessica thinks Jack is too arrogant, and has no idea what she has to put up with; she also believes she deserves her injury for her recklessness. Jess tries very hard to refuse Jack's invitation, but fate and her mother and godmother have other ideas.

Over the course of the house party, Jess realises she has always loved Jack even though she has tried to keep her distance from him. He in return realises that Jess is the only girl he could ever consider marrying. However, Jess wants love in return & Jack steadfastly refuses to succumb to the love his parents shared.

The reason I only gave the book a 4/5 was because at times I felt the dialogue a little longwinded, but overall this book was well written, containing sophisticated and seductive battle of wills, and left open an intriguing mystery which I assume will be concluded by another book at some point. The interactions between Jack and Jess were always entertaining, and I look forward to more by this author.

The Secret Passion of Simon Blackwell (Avon Historical Romance)
The Secret Passion of Simon Blackwell (Avon Historical Romance)
by Samantha James

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a keeper!, 25 Sept. 2012
I have just finished reading this, and sadly I don't feel it's one I will read again in a hurry, & I'm not entirely sure why.

I actually really liked the heroine's character. Annabel's firey & warm hearted, if at times a little over zealous, but I think the trait suits her very well. Her initial meeting with Simon Blackwell doesn't go very well at all, and she decides she doesn't like him, but after being caught kissing him, they have a hasty marriage before leaving for Simon's home in Yorkshire.

But Simon secretly harbours pain and guilt over the loss of his family 5 years earlier, and decides his marriage to Anne is to be in name only. It took a long time for him to tell Anne about his past, & while I understand it must have been very difficult for him, it seemed to take forever, & I wasn't turning pages eager to find out what had happened.

It all seemed a rather drawn out process if I'm being honest. Anne's determination to make her marriage work is admirable but I just don't think this story was for me.

I read another review by someone else and they really enjoyed it, having laughed and cried. I chuckled a few times but it certainly wasn't as intelectually funny as "Lord of Scoundrels" by Loretta Chase for example.

In summary, I can't see myself reading it again, I thought the plot was a little slow, but the characters were likeable. I think it's a personal preference book, and if you do decide to read it, I hope it's more your taste.

The Seduction of an English Scoundrel (Boscastle Family Trilogy)
The Seduction of an English Scoundrel (Boscastle Family Trilogy)
by Jillian Hunter

1.0 out of 5 stars Best word to describe it? DULL!, 29 July 2012
This is the first, and most probably last book I will ever read by Jillian Hunter. I found the story slow and rather boring most of the time, and am quite surprised I managed to finish it.

The main characters annoyed me, there was too much game playing and I like my books with some intrigue to the story. The only characters I had anytime for were Heath and Chloe, the hero Grayson's younger brother and sister, who apparently have stories of their own, but I doubt I could ever bring myself to read them.

Overall, a very disappointing so-called Historical Romance. Certainly not a keeper!

Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart
Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart
by Sarah MacLean

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read :) Nice ending to a good series!, 3 May 2012
I absolutely loved "Nine rules to break when romancing a rake", the first in this series from MacLean, and was hugely disappointed with "ten ways to be adored when landing a lord" so I bought this on a whim really. I was eager to get back to London and Ralston & Calle (from the first book), and wanted to see Juliana bring Leighton to heel!

Whilst I don't believe it as good as the first, it still holds an attraction, and gives you more insight into the already established characters as well as an introduction to someone I hadn't expect to meet!

"Eleven scadals" finishes off this series nicely and also gives you a brief glimpse of the heroine in "a rogue by any other name", MacLean's newest novel.

Princess Charming (Legendary Lovers Novel)
Princess Charming (Legendary Lovers Novel)
by Nicole Jordan

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good! 4.5/5, 3 May 2012
I bought this book because I had just finished Jordan's "Courtship Wars" series and was looking for something new. I read the prologue for "Princess Charming" which was at the back of "To Desire a Wicked Duke" and enjoyed it, but I was put off by the fact that it is based on "Cinderella". I'm happy to say that it is quite different to what I expected and only loosely based on the typical "Cinderella" story.

If you are a Jordan or historical romance fan then I advise you read this book. I took 1/2 a point off because although I loved Ashton & Maura's story & will no doubt enjoy the rest of the series, the idea that they play legendary lovers to find their true loves is difficult for me to get my head around.

Good book :)

She Tempts the Duke (Lost Lords of Pembrooke)
She Tempts the Duke (Lost Lords of Pembrooke)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book! :), 24 April 2012
This was the first Lorraine Heath book I've ever read & I'm already waiting for the sequel! I loved this book from the 1st page of the prologue, 3 boys escaping their uncle who they suspect killed their father & who expect to kill them, & they return 12 years later to reclaim what's theirs.

I don't like summarising the books I review because I think it spoils it for future readers but this has definitely become one of my favourites!

Great work Lorraine, I'm eagerly anticipating the next in the series :)

Page: 1 | 2