Profile for G. Jordan > Reviews

Content by G. Jordan

G. Jordan (UK)

HP 704941-421 ProLiant Micro Server (AMD Turion II Neo N54L 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 2 Core, 7th Generation)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 28 Jan 2014
This is by far and away been the best IT related purchase I've bought in along time.

As a nippy piece of cheap storage equipment it excels in every category.

I'm running Synology DSM 4.3 on this, it runs from a USB drive (there's one inside so tucked out of the way). That's given me use of all four HD's for storage, I'm running 2x 4TB WD red + 2 x 3TB WD red.

I've also bought me a ICYDock bay changing the 5.25" into 6x 2.5" bays. It's not in use just yet, tested it though and it works fine. In essence, without using the USB drives this little box is capable of having 28TB of storage.

Quiet, low power, capable and upgradeable. No complaints at all.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2014 7:02 PM BST

ModMyPi Case for Raspberry Pi - Stealth Black
ModMyPi Case for Raspberry Pi - Stealth Black
Offered by New IT limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Once you can get in it., 12 Jun 2013
I struggled to open the ruddy thing but once in the Raspberry PI fits perfectly. Excellent and discreet little box.

The Bastard Operator Omnibus. Book 2 2004-2010
The Bastard Operator Omnibus. Book 2 2004-2010

5.0 out of 5 stars For the BOFH fans, 12 Jun 2013
Ok so you can read BOFH for free at theregister but this, this puts them in an easy to find order.

Anyone who's ever chuckled at Simon's BOFH characters, Simon the sociopath, the PFY with a short and murderous temper and every boss to ever fall down the elevator shaft, this is the book for you.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Jun 2013
For the complete lazy option of setting up XBMC on a Raspberry PI this is the way to go. There's literally no effort in this at all, buy it, plug it in, turn it on, bam, you're ready to roll.

If you have any spare SD cards lying around the house and you're contemplating this option for the ease there's no need. RaspXBMC will do everything for you in about three clicks.

But yeah, if you're starting from scratch I would definitely recommend this out of the box solution.

Cut the Rope: Time Travel HD
Cut the Rope: Time Travel HD

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Cut the Rope: Time Travel HD (App)
I do love how cut the rope adds new trials to their games. Unlike angry birds which is the same game with different backgrounds (space excluded), each new cut the rope adds new challenges. Excellent game.

Angry Birds Seasons (Ad-Free)
Angry Birds Seasons (Ad-Free)

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 12 Feb 2013
Can't fault a bit of angry birds. Not getting old yet! Love how Rovio continue to update adding new levels.

Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free)
Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free) (App)
We all know and love the mad birdies, great to have them ad-free and for a decent price too.

Great game, great addition to Amazon store.

Western Digital WDG2NC10000E  My Book World Edition II 1TB (1000GB) & Gigabit Ethernet
Western Digital WDG2NC10000E My Book World Edition II 1TB (1000GB) & Gigabit Ethernet

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good BUT, 20 Nov 2008
I'm going to go against everything everyone has stated in the reviews for this device and say this is a great piece of kit. First of all lets get a few things clear, this is only a great piece of kit if you purchase it for reasons like my own and you're willing to get technical on it.

If you plan on using this for business use then really you deserve to get stung by the awful performance of the drive for wanting to cut corners. By a decent NAS if constant access is required. Fork out for a decent file server or build your own.

For those buying this for the remote access, as long as you're prepared to learn a little bit of linux then this can be achieved. The standard software included will restrict this requirement otherwise which sucks given that the drive is marketed as remote access included when really, it isn't.

I use this drive as a backup of local files/documents and as a media server and it works great. In fact it works so great I'm now on my second one and have every intention of purchasing another when this is full.

Sure access speeds are awful, even on a gb network I'm still lucky to transfer files at more than 10mb a time but its a small price to pay for something as flexible as this.

Like I say, assuming you're willing to learn a little linux its quite easy to turn this into a media server, an ftp server, a mail server, a web host... You name it, it can be done.

For my requirements I'm able to stream full 1080p HD material to my PS3 without any buffer or delay. I'm not talking 1080p compressed stuff either, full 40gb Blu-Ray movies play without any problems at all.

Now I've only had my drives for 6 months so I'm not sure of the lift expectantcy of these things. WD guarentee them for three years, some will fail within this time, others will carry on for a further thirteen years depending on use. If you're really sensible you'll either have a backup of the data stored on the drives or have this in Raid 1.