Profile for Paola > Reviews

Content by Paola

Paola (London, United Kingdom)

London through a lens (Time Out Guides)
London through a lens (Time Out Guides)
by Time Out Guides Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful step back into London past, 1 Dec 2008
I was so disappointed to have missed Getty Images Gallery's exhibition of London Through a Lens and so this was the next best thing. This book is a simply wonderful glance at times gone by with some truly magical and nostalgic photographs (237 altogether) capturing some great moments in London with one in particular going back as far as 1843 as well as some images which serve to remind you just how hard life was at times.

I think this book would make a fantastic gift for anyone who lives in or particularly likes London or indeed anyone who would like to see some truly amazing and provocative imagery of times gone by.

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Cruise Guide to Europe and the Mediterranean
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Cruise Guide to Europe and the Mediterranean
by Collectif

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide for European and Mediterranean cruising!, 1 Dec 2008
I found this to be a wonderful guide book full of so much information and detail and I am relieved that, in spite of the earlier review I went ahead and purchased it. I guess that, if I possessed other Mediterranean or European Guides by DK Eyewitness Travel, this would undoubtedly mirror them to a large degree - after all, how many different ways can you describe the same region or city etc, its attractions and best places to visit.

What this guide does have however are sections (albeit compact) on the history of cruise travel, styles of cruising, where to cruise as well as guidance on planning and booking your cruise, choosing a cabin, practical advice, life on board and shore excursions.

I am more than happy with this book, its size and its contents and it gives me plenty to think about in terms of where to visit and other relevant information such as key sights, tourist information, local specialities and recommended excursions. Of course there are lots of photographs and illustrated maps to accompany all this information. Quite honestly, I think any more detail would be overload and would need to be twice the size bearing in mind the number of ports involved, distances from ports to specific areas, attractions etc., and other trivia relevant to where your ship is docking; this is all detail which the cruise line provides to its passengers on board in the form of talks and supporting guides.

I will be going on my first cruise to the Med with this book (and the Baltic cruise that I am hoping to follow with) and, armed with the itinerary from the cruise line coupled with their ports of call guides produced for their passengers, I think DK's guide is more than adequate for the purposes of a Mediterranean or Baltics cruise.

I will also detail some comments on the reverse of the book (which was voted the best guide book by Guardian and Observer readers) - The Independent says: "No other guide whets your appetite quite like this one" (I concur!!!) and The Observer says: "A pleasurable read with ravishing photography plus maps and plans of supreme quality".

This book provides you with expert advice on the best things to see and do in more than 70 Ports of Call and, at the end of the day, if you really do not share this opinion if you do now purchase it, Amazon do accept returns. It really isn't so difficult is it.