Profile for MR M ROBEY > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Brew Britannia: The Strange Rebirth of British Beer
Brew Britannia: The Strange Rebirth of British Beer

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative read, 17 April 2015
I really enjoyed learning about the history of brewing in the UK. I was unfamiliar with the dominance of the big 6 so this filled a bit of a gap in my knowledge. It's great to know we live in a good era for beer experimentation!

Flashman in the Great Game (The Flashman Papers, Book 8)
Flashman in the Great Game (The Flashman Papers, Book 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Flashy book, 19 Sept. 2014
This was a thoroughly entertaining read as are most of the flashman books. Great bit of history regarding the Indian mutiny.

Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain
Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice light read, 27 Jun. 2013
This was a pretty enjoyable book and was easy enough to pick up for a few minutes at a time for a bit of light reading. It was especially interesting to read about the experiences the author had in my home county of Cornwall.

Truth Dare Kill (DANNY MCRAE SERIES Book 1)
Truth Dare Kill (DANNY MCRAE SERIES Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good page turner, 18 Feb. 2012
After reading this book and Black Out by John Lawton both set in the 40's and very much have WWII as a running theme throughout the book I have to say that this is by far the superior of the two. The central character of this story is a very likeable guy and I found myself drawn into the story. The characters are very 3 dimensional and I had polished off the book within a few days. I would definitely recommend it especially as I managed to get it in the Kindle sale.

Bye Bye Balham (Warming Up Book 1)
Bye Bye Balham (Warming Up Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant way to catch up on the early days, 18 Feb. 2012
For anyone who picked up on the blog fairly late in the day (I subscribe to the Kindle edition) this is pretty much essential reading. I always put off going back and reading the early entries on the website mainly because A. It would be fairly sad and I'm not that interested in Richards life and B. Reading it on the kindle is a lot easier as you can pick it up and put it down whenever you like. It is really interesting to see how things were going for Richard all that time ago and to compare similarities and differences in terms of his worries and concerns when his shows and love life were less successful. Parts of Richards life briefly touched on in HNTGU are discussed in more detail and it's good to get a better insight into it. I only read this one blog and basically discovered it by accident when I bought my Kindle but it is great to follow the writer of some of my favourite comedies from when I was a kid in the 90. There is some great advice for someone in their late 20's in here too in terms of how I am already thinking too much life has passed me by etc, it's obvious that as soon as you hit your mid 20's this is a thought that will never go!

Cheers Richard, looking forward to the next installment!

Black Out (Inspector Troy series Book 1)
Black Out (Inspector Troy series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to stick with, 18 Feb. 2012
I didn't really enjoy this book. I found it difficult to sympathise and relate to the main character and as a result of a lot of his decisions found him to be a rather unlikeable guy. This wouldn't have mattered too much but as the story literally revolves around him I found trudging through the book very hard work. Another thing I hate in books is having very short chapters i.e. Dan Brown and this book, while not as bad as some Dan Brown novels falls into the trap of having over 90 which is a bit crazy considering that there are some with no real scene changes between them. I stuck with it to the end but only because a book would literally have to be in a foreign language for me not to persevere to the end.

True History of the Kelly Gang
True History of the Kelly Gang

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insight into the life of an Aussie legend, 18 Feb. 2012
After emigrating to Australia I found that you cannot escape hearing about the quintessential Aussie anti-hero Ned Kelly. I was interested in knowing more about his life and background and this book really delivered. It is pretty easy to read once you get into the style of writing which reflects the way someone from that era and educational background would have spoken like. After reading the book I now feel that I have a much better idea of the events of Ned Kellys life which led him to lead his life in the way he did, very much a result of events that went on around him rather than by his own personal choice. A great book which I got for 99p I would be more than happy to have paid full price for it.

The Damned Utd
The Damned Utd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 18 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Damned Utd (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book. Really easy to get into and follow from the beginning right through to the end. Jumps between two major periods of Cloughs life and accurately (At least in my mind) portrays the thoughts and feelings he was experiencing at the time.

Richard Herring - Warming Up
Richard Herring - Warming Up

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit more insight into the life of Richard which you dont always get in the podcasts, 19 July 2011
This blog is brilliant, the first and only one I will probably bother subscribing to on my kindle. Having not really followed Richard since I was a kid in the TMWRNJ days I have rediscovered him of late and this is a perfect accompaniment to the Collings and Herrin and AIOTM, AIOTM podcasts. As the previous reviewer said for 7p a day you cant really ask for much more!

Structural Geology
Structural Geology
by Robert J. Twiss

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers everything, 5 May 2011
This review is from: Structural Geology (Hardcover)
This book does pretty much what it says on the tin. IT covers everything there is to know (Pretty much) about structural geology. This is aimed at Degree level Geologists and even then at 2nd-3rd year as it covers advanced material that isn't covered in stage 1. This book will see me past my 3rd year into a Masters where it is a recommended course text so you'll get a good few years use out of it, a sound investment I would say!

Page: 1 | 2