Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Sony SBH20 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headset with NFC and Multi-Point Connectivity - Black
Offered by Locoisle777

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Unit, 20 Nov 2013
I bought this to replace a cheaper version that I've had for a few years. I bought that off ebay and it was some generic Chinese import.

Anyway this works well. The controls are easy, it's stylish, the volume levels are good and it pairs well (the other had an issue where it kept forgetting it was paired). Also I like that it has an off switch. Many such devices rely on a 'long press'.

All in all it's a useful device.

I found out in the end that my previous device was still working and it was the bluetooth on the phone that wasn't. Having now replaced the phone anyway I've got two of these and I use neither. Ho Hum.

TUDIA Ultra Slim Melody TPU Bumper Protective Case for Google Nexus 5 (Black)
TUDIA Ultra Slim Melody TPU Bumper Protective Case for Google Nexus 5 (Black)
Offered by Aplars USA

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Case, 20 Nov 2013
I wanted a case for my new phone and this is a case. It's a case that fits the phone. It was made for it I think. It just fits. Hand in glove. Or more precisely phone in case.

Yep this is a case.

Galatea
Galatea

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't think of a good title, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Galatea (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this. I have no idea how the original myth goes but this was well written in simple clear modern English but the setting was I guess still ancient Greece as it felt timeless.

The story followed an arc that was somewhat obvious once you realised what the themes were. Also I found that the character of the husband was a bit of a straw man villain - but maybe that comes from the original.

Worth a read though.

Footvote (Short Reads)
Footvote (Short Reads)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Thing Is..., 20 Nov 2013
I have to admit that when I bought this it was for a particular reason: Hamilton is an author who I've become aware of that I might possibly like but, here's the but, most of his books are so long that I quail at trying them out when I've got a big TBR pile already. So I thought I'd get a flavour of his writing from this.

And judged on that idiosyncratic measure this is a bit of a let down. It's a perfectly decent story, well written but it uses SciFi elements to tell a story that primarily about other things - which I suppose SciFi usually does anyway but here it feels more incidental.

So I think it's a good story but for me it was a bit meh.

Liquid Spirit
Liquid Spirit

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to Run To, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Liquid Spirit (MP3 Download)
This is one of those songs I heard and couldn't get out of my head. It sounds like some old time 'standard' that you think you've always known on some level. Very catchy and well sung and I like to listen to whilst running.

Air Guitar (Kindle Single)
Air Guitar (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, 20 Nov 2013
Four lightly comic essays/memoirs that are to varying degrees true? I can't obviously tell (apart from Air Guitar for reasons that will make sense when you read it) but I can tell they're an amusing pleasant read.

Spinning (short short story)
Spinning (short short story)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Short but Not Bad, 5 Nov 2013
"short short story" means ~550 words. If you're expecting something longer then look elsewhere. However for that length this is not bad. Strong characterization and an ending with a punch.

The Necropolis Railway - A Novel of Murder, Mystery and Steam (Jim Stringer)
The Necropolis Railway - A Novel of Murder, Mystery and Steam (Jim Stringer)
by Andrew Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but you really need to be a Steam Train Buff, 19 Oct 2013
The Necropolis Railway was a book I bought in a second hand bookshop on a whim*. It’s a murder mystery set on the turn of the 20th century steam railways. Specifically it concerns the Necropolis Railway of the title. This was a real thing which was set up during the mid-19th century as a way of dealing with the overcrowding in central London cemeteries by moving funerals and burials to a large graveyard outside London. The transport to do this was the Necropolis Railway.

This book is set in the winter of 1903 when Jim Stringer, a humble porter from Yorkshire moves to London having accepted the offer of a job as an engine cleaner working for the London Necropolis Company. This he hopes is the start of a career path leading to becoming a driver, that being the pinnacle of achievement in his view. However almost from the start he comes up against hostility from the other men working on the railway. He also discovers that there have been a number of mysterious apparently accidental deaths. Further intrigue, and deaths follow and he finds himself investigating what he’s now sure is a series of murders.

The thing I should say straight away is that I’m not particularly a steam train fan. Martin clearly is and that’s OK. One of the delights of reading is to put yourself in the head of someone who thinks differently to you, likes things you don’t etc. However I had thought that I’d learn something as I went along but Martin pretty much assumes you know an awful lot of the technology, as well as some of the period details. My policy these days with books is to plough on and assume it will all become clear. This is a book where I might have benefited from pausing to check Wikipedia every now and then. Or perhaps not, I got the gist.

I can’t comment on the accuracy of the period feel but I can say that it was recognisably different from the modern day. So that awful thing of 21st century people projected back into historical contexts that you sometimes see wasn’t a problem here.

The plot trundles along quite well. I found it a little slow to start but it picks up about a third of the way in. The romantic interest when it turned up was well done I thought. Again, different to modern eyes but not a cliche either. The murder mystery plot was pretty good though I guessed most of the reason behind the killings. There did seem to be a lot of explanation in the last couple of pages which left it feeling like the next book (there’s a series of these) might continue the story, but from what I gather despite having the same hero it’s its own story.

(*I later bought a new copy for my dad which is why it turns up on my Amazon purchases list.)

Wild Abandon
Wild Abandon

4.0 out of 5 stars More a Gentle Freeing than a Wild Abandonment, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Wild Abandon (Kindle Edition)
I chose Wild Abandon to read by a slightly circuitous route. I’d enjoyed the film Submarine which was from Joe Dunthorne’s earlier novel. Rather than read it – though I was tempted – I thought it might be more fun to read something where I didn’t know the story.

Wild Abandon is the story of a commune and the family that forms the core of it. Both the commune and the family seem to be falling apart. Don and Freya’s marriage is showing signs of strain whilst their daughter Kate just wants to be normal and pass her exams. Albert, the son is pretty well adjusted – apart from his conviction that the world is going to end.

Wild Abandon was an easy and enjoyable read. It’s funny without being laugh-out-loud hilarious – though there were moments when a joke landed particularly well. It’s more the subtle character humour of well-observed small interactions between characters. Particularly the way Don reacts to those around him. He’s somehow turned from an idealistic purposeful leader to a bit of a pompous prat. His relationship with the older commune member Patrick who he patronises mercilessly was very much in this vein.

If I have a criticism it’s that the plot was a little more complicated than it needed to be. There was perhaps one too many coming or going in the comings and goings of people who’d decided to leave, then stay or vice-versa with the commune.

It does have a very effective and noticeably cinematic final scene which I enjoyed.

Anthology (set - UK)
Anthology (set - UK)

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised How Many I Know/Like, 19 Oct 2013
Do you ever have a song stuck in your head for years? Well not permanently but like it becomes the default tune that you sing to yourself? "Heaven" has been that for me for a decade or two. Plus I like Spirit of 69 and Run to Me. So I bought this to play in the car.

What I realised was that a) I knew more Brian Adams songs than I thought I did and b) liked more than I thought to.

Definitely not for anyone trying to be cool or relevant but good sing-a-longable pop-rock tunes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10