Profile for GH > Reviews

Content by GH

GH

To Set Prometheus Free: Essays on Religion, Reason and Humanity (Oberon Masters Series)
Price: 3.08

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought that he was a philosopher, 28 Jan 2013
This is a betrayal of the craft of philosophy. It is little more than a rant, in the manner of Dawkins, although it is better written. Strangely enough I thought that it was worth the money for the entertainment value. Rather like watching a great serious actor doing grotesque slap stick. Ultimately it is a waste of time, it will not have an impact on theists, thinking atheists will be embarrassed and the uncommitted might well wonder, whether he protests too much.

Sherlock Holmes and The Case of The Edinburgh Haunting
Sherlock Holmes and The Case of The Edinburgh Haunting
Price: 4.79

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting story, 31 Dec 2012
I have enjoyed this book. It is evocative of an other age and moves at a decent pace. However, I could never agree with reviewer who wrote that it is 'extremely well written'. There are many solecisms, much awkward sentence construction, several instance of poor grammar, usually involving the employment of the personal pronoun. There is also an abandonment of the first person narrative with which the story begins, even when Watson is at the scene of the action. Despite all this criticism, it is testimony to the author's story telling ability that I found that I just had to read on. In the end, I would qualify my opening remark by inserting the word .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2013 2:41 PM GMT

Cedar Rapids [Blu-ray]
Cedar Rapids [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Ed Helms
Price: 10.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Cedar Rapids [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A typical American comedy. From a friend's recommendation I had expected more. But the theme was hackneyed, the acting extremely average and the whole thing far too predictable

00 - Master Index - Digital Concordance - Book 00 (Digital Concordance Of The Bible)
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than useless, 8 Nov 2012
The 'blurb' was totally misleading. On its own this is just a word list. I bought it for ease of reference! But if you look up a word you are just referred elsewhere, an item that you then have to purchase. I gave it one star but I think that nought would have been more appropriate ?