Profile for S. J. Hepworth > Reviews

Content by S. J. Hepworth

S. J. Hepworth "Simon Hepworth" (Leeds, West Yorkshire)

Luck and a Lancaster: Chance and Survival in World War II (Airlife's Classics)
Luck and a Lancaster: Chance and Survival in World War II (Airlife's Classics)
by Harry Yates

5.0 out of 5 stars A personal perspective on 'Luck and a Lancaster'., 20 Aug 2003
I had been researching the service history of my great uncle, a Flight Engineer on Lancasters with a 'sister' squadron of Harry Yates' 75 Sqn. Despite gathering a wealth of information from official sources, and survivors from his squadron I had not been able to discover exactly how he had been lost.
I picked up a copy of Harry Yates' book quite by chance and, leafing through it, saw his chapter on his most feared target, an oil refinery at Homberg in Germany. Knowing that this was the target where my great uncle and most of his crew were killed, I read on. The detail of the narrative including dates was excellent and he described in detail the op on which my great uncle died and also, most poignantly, an eye-witness description of the loss of his aircraft. Discovering this information was an immense source of comfort to my great uncle's brothers, now in their 80s.
Thank you, Harry, for making this possible.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2009 8:44 AM BST

If The Spirit Moves You: Love and Life After Death
If The Spirit Moves You: Love and Life After Death
by Justine Picardie

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that you won't be able to put down, 5 Jan 2002
What a read! I suffered a sudden bereavement in 1998, when my partner was killed, aged 28. This book I felt found me! I experienced most of what Justine did, and searched through meduim after meduim for a glimmer of hope that Peter was here with me in spirit. I am a bereavement counsellor now, and would reccommend this book to some of my clients, it may normalise feelings and thoughts for them whilst they grieve. Excellent book!