Profile for N. McKinlay > Reviews

Content by N. McKinlay

N. McKinlay

Page: 1 | 2
The Blood of Olympus (Heroes of Olympus Book 5)
The Blood of Olympus (Heroes of Olympus Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 10 Nov 2014
I have followed the Percy Jackson series avidly since I was about 12, I reread them over and over until the first Heroes of Olympus book came out and now, at 16, I finish the last of the series. I was seriously not disappointed! It takes a lot for a book to get me gasping and wriggling around in anticipation but this one, to be cliche, had me on the edge of my seat/bed the whole way through.
A fantastic end to the series with many unexpected turns and suspense, as well as the characters' weaknesses emerging as well as their battle and triumph against them and their enemies. Rick Giordano never stops surprising me with his skill, when he seems to have exhausted all ways of writing he continues to amaze. I would recommend the series to anyone who has a taste for fantasy, magic, excitement and over all, fun. :)

Made Of Stone
Made Of Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Stone Roses, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Made Of Stone (MP3 Download)
Love this song.

Shoei GT-Air Motorcycle Helmet
Shoei GT-Air Motorcycle Helmet
Price: £364.00 - £399.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great helmet, but noisy on an unfaired bike., 14 Aug 2014
Purchased (not through amazon) - got fitted out at Shoei dealer with different sized pads included free as part of Shoei assured dealer.
Main purpose was to replace my Shoei XR1100 which is a few years old and noisy.
Bought it based on claimed quietness.
Overall, it's a beautiful helmet, fit is excellent (for me), it is light, and comfortable after a few hours riding no pressure points or discomfort.
But at £479 for patterns it should be an excellent helmet.
The big downside for me is noise, it is no quieter than the old XR1100, at least for me, meaning even short journeys need ear plugs.
This helmet was designed with narrower openings to eliminate buffeting noise , but it's still there above 60mph with a loud wind roar from somewhere.
I always ride with ear plugs in for more than a couple of miles, but this is an absolute must for this helmet. So, overall, I have a new, cool, matt black helmet that I didn't really need to buy.
So, I'd recommend it as a great premium helmet, but just don;t believe the blurb about it being quiet.

Hatch (The Dragons Of Laton Book 1)
Hatch (The Dragons Of Laton Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 5 Mar 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!!! I was sceptical in the first few chapters but was unable to put the book down when Fulgid arrived!!!

PAIR of Black Mirror Stem Extension/Extenders 10mm Standard Thread +40mm Reach
PAIR of Black Mirror Stem Extension/Extenders 10mm Standard Thread +40mm Reach
Offered by Motorcycleparts UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Work as advertised, but..., 19 Sep 2013
These extenders have improved the rearward view from my Z750 by about 100%. The original positioning of the mirrors is terrible on a Z750.

So, from that aspect these extenders solved that issue 100%.

But, after a single journey in rain of about 3 hours, one of the mounting set screws has begun to rust inside the hex.

When fitting, these looked like stainless steel items (any biker knows that non-stainless fasteners don't stay shiny for long), but I was disappointed that the fastener would rust so quickly, and since it is on the handlebars, it is immediately noticeable, spoiling the look.

It's not a biggie, but it seems likely that a visit to the pro-bolt website to get proper quality stainless fasteners is required to keep the shiny bits shiny.

So, 3 stars from me because they do improve rearward visibility, but expect the bolts to rust if you use your bike in the rain, even if you don't intend to which happens a lot in the UK.

Pic IQ Quiz
Pic IQ Quiz

4.0 out of 5 stars good game, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Pic IQ Quiz (App)
Good game, wish the hints were better but other than that very addictive and fun to do when bored. Would recommend it.

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 26 May 2013
I was recommended this book by a friend. I was sceptical at first but once I got into the book, I really enjoyed it.

My Horse
My Horse

4.0 out of 5 stars v. good, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: My Horse (App)
Great game, not as good as looking after a real horse but a brilliant game none the less. Thankfully you don't have to use it all the time.

Diary of a Teenage Superhero (Teen Superheroes Book 1)
Diary of a Teenage Superhero (Teen Superheroes Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Jan 2013
I really really enjoyed this book, I expected it to be something done many times before but I was very wrong and I couldn't take my eyes away from it!

Ranger's Apprentice 4: Oakleaf Bearers
Ranger's Apprentice 4: Oakleaf Bearers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Jan 2013
I love this series! It is gripping and exciting! This is my second favourite in the series although it is close to first! Excellent book excellent author.

Page: 1 | 2