Profile for James Shields > Reviews

Content by James Shields

James Shields

by Valerio Massimo Manfredi

1.0 out of 5 stars Moses is turning in his grave!, 20 April 2010
This review is from: Pharaoh (Paperback)
last week I had two Manfredi books in my hand this and 'The Lost Army'. I opted for this novel based on the cover - and yes I know you shouldn't judge a book and all that but I love stories about ancient Egypt.

Don't be fooled, the cover is a smoke screen for very poor novel which sees the lead character morph from one cliché to another, seemingly at random with no real character development.

I have read other reviews which liken this to a Dan Brown novel. You have got to be fncking kidding?! This book reads like a terrible straight to DVD film with a stilted script whose lines are delivered by hack actors.

The coincidences in the novel made me want to gouge my eyes out and the lead character's sudden declaration of love was so out of the blue that I thought I must have fallen asleep and missed an entire sub plot. A quick check revealed it was not there.

None of the characters have any depth and the leads transition from Indiana Jones to cold-faced killer is farcical, I have not finished reading this but hope he is killed off in some sort of horrific accident.

I got the impression from the very first chapter that the text was poorly translated from Italian, some of the dialogue is clunky and doesn't make much sense but translation aside there are just too many flaws in the story to really enjoy this book.

I'm stuck like a deer before headlights waiting to see how this book finishes but I get the impression the Author has some issues about the people of Israel.

I wept when I realised that I couldn't give this expensive 355 page toilet roll a zero star rating.

This is a bad book, it is terrible. Somehow there was a mix up at the publisher and they sent a first draft to print. I may end up using the pages of this trash to make a papier mache effigy of Manfredi so I can punch him in the face.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2011 3:05 AM BST