Profile for Drengskap > Reviews

Premier Housewares Bag Clips - Set of 2 - Stainless Steel
Premier Housewares Bag Clips - Set of 2 - Stainless Steel
Price: 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential kitchen accessory, 1 Sep 2014
Very elegant and great value. I'd been looking for something like these clips at a reasonable price for a long while. I've bought 4 sets, and I'm going to get more. One of those things that, once you have them, you can't imagine how you ever managed without.

Stanley 66-344M 4-in-1 Pocket Screwdriver
Stanley 66-344M 4-in-1 Pocket Screwdriver
Offered by 1 Tool Shop
Price: 3.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile little tool, 26 Aug 2014
As other reviewers have noted, this isn’t a heavy-duty tool, and it’s no substitute for a ‘proper’ screwdriver, but it’s very handy for what it is. I keep one in my work bag, and it’s great for making small adjustments on my bike (I also carry a multitool for hex keys). And people will, I assure you, be impressed when they need a screwdriver for something or other and you actually have one on you – it’s happened to me more than once! But it’s no good for the tiny screws on spectacles. Another disadvantage is that the double ended bits aren’t standard 1/4” hex bits, so you can’t customise your driver to your personal requirements – if you could, I’d carry another with 3mm to 6mm hex keys for bikes. But all in all, I like this tool a lot. And for you tool snobs out there, it’s worth noting that Snap-On offer exactly the same screwdriver for a lot more money.

Irwin IRW10507695 Folding Trapezoid Knife
Irwin IRW10507695 Folding Trapezoid Knife
Price: 12.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, apart from the spring clip, 20 Aug 2014
This is much better quality than most of the folding utility knives out there, which is reflected in the price. It has a chunky alloy body and a very solid blade holding mechanism. The blade holder locks in the open position, and is released by pushing on the spring arm along the spine of the handle. There’s also a notch for wire stripping. Some instructions on how to change blades would have been welcome – you have to partially shut the blade holder to about 45 degrees and then press the release button, which isn’t immediately obvious, even from the label on the blade holder.

I keep this knife in my kit for applying stickers and vinyl– it’s great for trimming, cutting tape etc. It can be safely carried in a pocket – closed, obviously. I’ve deducted a star because the spring clip on one side of the handle makes it uncomfortable for left-handed use (it’s located right where you want to place your thumb), and taking this clip off involves a complete disassembly of the knife and reshaping the lug that the clip attaches to. If this clip was easily removable (or even better, capable of being positioned on either side of the handle), this knife would be perfect. Team it up with some Irwin bi-metal blades (which are much better than Stanley blades), and you’re in business!

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hit me like a ton of lead, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I picked this up for keeping in the car, since there is no finer music to drive to than the Tex-Mex blues boogie produced by ZZ Top. I defy anyone to listen to the opening bars of 'Gimme All Your Lovin'' without getting the urge to put the pedal to the metal down a long straight highway. Most of what I love ZZ Top for is here, including a decent selection from their 70s albums before they went global with Annihilator - e.g. 'My Head's In Mississippi', 'Tush' and 'La Grange' - but where's 'Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers'? Any song which is good enough for Motorhead to cover is good enough for me! I'd much rather have had the invigorating hedonism of 'Beer Drinkers...' represented here than either the limp MOR power ballad 'Rough Boy' or the cheesy electronica of 'Viva las Vegas'.

Bravado  Ramones - Hey Ho Let's Go - Mens T-shirt Black
Bravado Ramones - Hey Ho Let's Go - Mens T-shirt Black
Price: 11.25 - 13.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands off my culture, posers!, 8 July 2014
Everyone who buys a Ramones T-shirt should be made to demonstrate that they can name at least one Ramones song. Most of the people I see wearing Ramones T-shirts these days would fail this test. What exactly does this T-shirt mean to you?

Subterranean Jungle (Expanded & Remastered)
Subterranean Jungle (Expanded & Remastered)
Price: 6.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the (Subterranean) Jungle, 7 July 2014
Yeah, this is a generally underrated album from the autumn years of the Ramones. Sure, it's not as essential as the first album or Leave Home or Rocket To Russia, but I'd rate this alongside Road To Ruin, and I'd take it over Animal Boy or Brain Drain or Halfway To Sanity any day. I'd like to put in a good word for 'My-My Kind of a Girl' - like Joey Ramone, I'm just a soppy old romantic at heart, and I've always loved the Ramones' bubblegum ballads like 'I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend' from the debut album. Other standout tracks on Subterranean Jungle are 'Outsider' and 'Somebody Like Me', and of the bonus tracks presented here, the pick of the bunch is 'New Girl In Town' - which is another smoocher.

Too Tough To Die (Expanded & Remastered)
Too Tough To Die (Expanded & Remastered)
Price: 6.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone's a closet lame, 28 Jun 2014
Too Tough To Die is one of the Ramones' better 80s albums, but far from being a classic. Songs like 'Mama's Boy' and the title track are great, but the ones where they let Dee Dee sing ('Warthog), 'Endless Vacation') are horrible, uninspired hardcore thrashouts. I haven't seen any other reviewers note this, but the excellent cover photo and the instrumental 'Durango 95' are obvious nods to A Clockwork Orange (Durango 95 being the futuristic sports car that Alex and his droogs go joyriding in).

These Ramones reissue CDs are all value-packed, with loads of bonus tracks and informative booklets, and in an age where Ramones T-shirts are being worn all over the place by people who couldn't name a Ramones track if their life depended on it, it's good to be reminded that this band actually existed once.

BAHCO  SB-3734N-5-150 PAR PIN PUNCH 5MM 3/16IN
BAHCO SB-3734N-5-150 PAR PIN PUNCH 5MM 3/16IN
Price: 5.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Shiny things, 3 May 2014
I already have quite a few Bahco tools, so I know they're a brand with a good reputation, but I was unprepared for just how beautiful these punches are. The photo really doesn't do them justice - they are finished in mirror-polished chrome, and they look and feel like Snap-On tools. I bought three different sizes, and I'll be getting a few more while Amazon
are offering them at a bargain price. They're the nicest punches I've ever seen - it seems a shame to whack them with a hammer, but that's what I'll be doing! It's also a shame that Bahco don't seem to offer these punches as a set in a case or a tool roll, but I had a good look around and couldn't find such a thing anywhere.

Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead
Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead
Price: 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance on her grave!, 12 April 2013
That evil bitch Thatcher and her cronies cast a pall over my teenage years, one which is neither forgiven nor forgotten, and I'm only too happy to fork out 69p to add my voice to those who choose to dissent from the torrent of fawning eulogies we've been subjected to this week. And to all those upright citizens who think this is offensive, or in poor taste - good, I'm glad you're offended. Because we're not all like you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2013 1:36 PM BST

eSecure 16 Piece Watch Repair Tool Kit Set Pin & Back Remover
eSecure 16 Piece Watch Repair Tool Kit Set Pin & Back Remover
Offered by H & A (LONDON)
Price: 5.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, but..., 31 Mar 2013
Well, as many of the other reviewers have stated, you get what you pay for, and these tools are pretty far from being the finest quality available. That being said, this kit is extremely cheap, it's perfectly possible to carry out simple home watch repairs (bracelet adjustments and battery changes) with it, and even if only a few of the tools are really up to scratch, they're worth what you'll be paying.

Here's my verdict on the various tools:

Hammer: rather neat, and can be used effectively with the pin punch and the watch holding block to remove bracelet links. It works!

Watch holding block: this is the grey square block thing with various slots in it. It's plastic, so won't scratch your watch case or bracelet, and it's solidly made, and useful for holding the bracelet while you remove pins or spring bars. Yup, this works too.

Pin punches: there are three of these - they are used to remove the split pins from steel watch bracelets. Quality is adequate, but all three are the same size, which is either a bit dumb or a pragmatic recognition that they aren't going to last forever.

Tweezers: reasonable, but nylon tweezers would be more appropriate for battery replacements.

Precision screwdrivers: there are three of these, and like the pin punches, they are all the same size. Why?! Standard cheapo quality.

Plastic-handled screwdrivers: these are horrible, worse than the screwdrivers you get in Christmas crackers, and I threw them away immediately. I would never attempt any kind of job with a tool this shoddy.

Pin removal press: this is the blue thing that looks like a vice, and is supposed to operate something like a bicycle chain link splitter. Unfortunately, it is crap. The body is made of flimsy plastic, the thread on the handle is very coarse, and it's pretty much impossible to align with the watch bracelet to push out the split pins (I tried it out on some scrap links I had lying around). The job it's intended for is much more effectively carried out with the hammer, the holding block and a pin punch, so I ended up throwing this away as well, although I kept the drive pin, because it can be secured in a pin vice and used as a spring bar pusher, so it's not totally useless. But I really wouldn't recommend trying to use this on an expensive watch bracelet - you'll scratch it up and get nowhere fast.

Case back knife: didn't work for me, but that could be because I'm left-handed, and this is a very right-handed tool. I still go back to the trusty Swiss Army knife for getting pop-off backs opened!

Screw-down back removal tool: this is the two-pin wrench, used for opening waterproof watches with screw-down backs. It's nothing fancy, but it does work on smaller watches. Some of my larger watches, however, exceed its range. Not as good as a proper three-pin Jaxa-type wrench.

Pliers: pretty generic cheapo pliers, haven't actually used them for anything since I have lots of much nicer pliers.

All in all, a mixed bag, but given that you'll save the cost of the kit if you only manage to carry out one or two repairs with it, I'd recommend this to anyone savvy enough to know what's worth having a go with and what needs to be chucked. And I found a very suitable two-tray sorter box to keep the whole lot in at a certain well-known hobby electronics supplier!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3