Profile for rob slevin > Reviews

Content by rob slevin

rob slevin "rob" (southern ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Endless River
The Endless River

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Endless River (Audio CD)
I like it .

Ryan Adams
Ryan Adams

2.0 out of 5 stars A Heartbreaker , for all the wrong reasons ..., 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Ryan Adams (Audio CD)
Generic rock .
This is on a par with Bryan Adams .
Harsh I know , I take no pleasure in writing it .
Twice in the opening 3 songs Ryan tells us that he has nothing left to say .
I admire his honesty at least .
Think of all the reasons we fell in love with this mans music in the first place , The wonderful left of centre lyrics , the beautiful heart wrenching vocals , whether whispered or soaring , his voice is a wonder. The Melodies , oh the beautiful melodies , where have they gone ? .
After Cold Roses things started slide , Cardinology & Easy Tiger , were perfunctory at best , this is more of the same .
If you loved those two albums , I guess , this is for you .

The songs are cliched in the extreme , something Ryan has never previously been guilty of ,
Yes , I am very well aware that that statement is a cliche in itself , But just read through the lyric sheet and try not to cringe ,
At a glance .....

''Standing in the cold grey dawn '' , seriously ???

'' Love
When you call my name
It sends me running
Into the flame
I love you baby
Treat me right
Hold me closer
In the middle of the night ''

I won't go into the Kim / him lyric.

''My Wrecking Ball '' & '' Let Go '' it has to be said , remind me of the reasons I am , and remain a Ryan Adams fan .
I am simply not a fan of this release .

As a guitarist Ryan is fantastically limited , If you want to make a rocking album , hire a lead guitar player , they are a dime a dozen in L.A. for god's sake . Buying Johnny Depp a beverage is not the answer.

I adore 'Ashes and Fire' , and I'm gonna play it now and try forget about this latest disapointment . After that I'm going to go with Strangers Almanac , Deluxe . More amazing songs than you can shake a denim jacket at .
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2014 12:52 AM BST

Heaven & Earth
Heaven & Earth

1.0 out of 5 stars YES ?, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Heaven & Earth (Audio CD)

Hypnotic Eye
Hypnotic Eye

3.0 out of 5 stars You will begin to feel sleepy ..., 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Hypnotic Eye (Audio CD)
sleepier ...and sleepier ...
I fell in love with the vibrancy of Tom Petty's music over 30 years ago , as a teenager.
Im 50 now , I love music more than ever , I search out vibrancy , it's difficult to find .

This was a waste of 15 euro , pure drudgery , don't belive the hype that this is a "rockin" return to the early days , what we have here (once again) , is 3 perfuctionary rockers , and a bunch of mid-tempo tunes , and a couple of almost spoken word ballads .
Albums like this move me towards the illegal download .
A waste of my hard earned .
Another sad collection of dirge like tunes, as we have come to expect . Im gonna play " The Wild One , Forever ..... a personal fave , and simply ... sigh .

Okay , hands up , I am not going to eat my words , just yet , but after forcing myself to stick wuth this album , and about a dozen listens in , I have to admit that certain tracks have grown on me , considerably .
Most unexpected . Oooops . I have changed my 2 star rating to 3 , and would make it 3.5 if I could.
Hmmmm , I might have to come back and change my review title too . Damn . I was pleased with myself .
It ain't a classic . It isn't any amazing return to his earlier standards , but I now consider my cash well spent. MOST unexpected.
I will listen some more ....

Meteorites
Meteorites

1.0 out of 5 stars 'Meteorites ... it crashes and burns ! ., 30 July 2014
This review is from: Meteorites (Audio CD)
This album is even worse than Siberia , who would have believed that was even possible.
I don't need to give my reasons , You have your view , and I have mine .
In truth , you have no interest in my musical interests or preferences , ...and guess what ?.......
If i went into detail as to why I Hate this album , various people would feel the compulsion to rant at length , and tell me how wrong I am .
Don't waste you time ,
Sincerely, I will not be coming back here to view this (non) review again.
I will say this ,
I have Every Bunnymen recording ,
including the 12" singles, The Box Set , The McCulloch solo Albums ( And this is a 'Solo' album if Ian would only be honest, But thats okay , I love the first 3 of McCulloch's offerings
, and Proud To Fall ,is one of my favourite songs ever, by anyone) ,
and I quite like Electrafixion .
My fave Echo albums are Crocodiles, Heaven Up Here , And Porcupine . Big Surprise, eh ? .
I never much liked the majority of ,Ocean Rain.
The self titled 5th album has some superior moments, 'The Game' , is sheer class , and another personal favourite , 'All In Your Mind ' , has stunning power.
Of the comeback albums ,
A lot of 'Evergreen' , is wonderful ,
All of , 'What are you going to do with your life' , is wonderful,
'Flowers' is not bad , but the rot has set in now,
'Siberia' , is the first Echo album that I actively disliked, Bland beyond words ,
'The Fountain ' , is little better , but has a few uplifting pop ditties to dilute the boredom .
'Meteorites ' , Is quite simply the worst album of their career .
My reasons ... too many to go into , and anyway , who cares .
If however , you share my opinion in any general way regarding the other Echo releases ? ,
I simply advise you to approach this with the utmost caution .
It's not an easy listen , for all the wrong reasons.

'Caught a falling Meteorite ,
It cut my 'Heart' to pieces ' ....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 8:53 PM BST

Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)

1.0 out of 5 stars ' Don't be a Dummy ', 30 Mar 2014
I am currently too disappointed to write a full and proper review , and I have this album since its week of release . I wanted to give it a fair chance .
Let my review title be a warning , ( ... and if you 'get' the reference ... ) , you will know , I am a long time fan .
Spotify it , or Youtube it.
If it floats your boat , by all means , then but the CD , But don't buy it based on how the fan club have reviewed it here .

P.S.- I loved Exile /Sacrifice/and Pure. And of course all of the early albums , including Strange Charm and Metal Rhythm . I did not love Jagged I must admit.

Man On The Rocks
Man On The Rocks

1.0 out of 5 stars ' Rocks ' ???? .... No it bloody does'nt ... ( BUT..)*, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
If you are a fan of the Eurovision Song Contest ... buy it ! ,
If you are a Mike Oldfield fan , stay well clear .
My patience is at an end now .
I played this effort several times , on my own , and I found myself looking over my shoulder , in embarrassment ,
to make certain that no one could hear what i was listening to , It is truly that bad , the music is every bit as bland as 15 other honest reviewers have stated , and the lyrics are completely inane .

I feel more than a little sad,
but I will never buy another Oldfield album .

...... Until the next one ..... Idiot that I am .

...Hi Again,it is about a month since I wrote my original review , and i have added the " BUT* " ...
Mikes current album certainly Does Not Rock ... BUT , do you know what does ?

QE2 !!! , Yesterday I was listening to the 2012 remaster of Mikes QE2 album , and most especially , I was listening to the Live version of Tubular Bells One , on the 2nd Disc of the new package.

It ROCKS like a bastard !!! , Probably the heaviest piece of music I have ever heard by Mike Oldfield .
I love it , but then , I love the vast majority of Mikes output.
Anyway , it prompted me to revisit the above review , with the simple intent of possibly introducing some other Oldfield fans , to a piece of music that they may possibly have otherwise overlooked .
I have the original vinyl of QE2 , and had no intentions of buying it on CD until I read the Amazon fan reviews ,and a coule of people mentioned that Mikes guitar playing is simply breathtaking on the LIVE cd.
I took them at their word , and I am eternally thankful ,
If, like me , you like , on occasion , to hear Mike let loose as a guitarist ? , and found yourself completely underwhelemed, by 'Man On The Rocks ', then this is for you !.

BOth discs are great , by the way , but the Live disc , is just wonderful .Wonderful,Wonderful,Wonderful .

Ommadawn , and Taurus are damn nearly as good as the aforementioned 'Tubular Bells~One - Live'.

If you want to hear Mike Oldfield actually ROCK ... , Buy QE2 ~ Deluxe .

Wonderful ! . :))

Tribute [Standard]
Tribute [Standard]

3.0 out of 5 stars Suspicious Mind here ..., 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tribute [Standard] (Audio CD)
Has anyone else noticed the suspicious nature of all the reiews here ( except the one star review)...
This page is totally unlike any other album review page on Amazon, here all the seperate reviews come across as if they have All been written by the same person .
The brevity alone , of each review just appears wrong !.
They all contain the same words and opinions, just jumbled around a little.
Don't tell me , that since 'everyone' loves the album ,they are bound to use the same words ... ??? ...that just does not wash.
Go look at the reviews of the recent Bowie album and compare , or Dylan,or Nick Cave, or just about anyone really !.
Also all reviews , not matter how gushing,short , simplistic and uninformative ,etc.... still all get a 100% approval rating ????
Again , look elsewhere and you will find that lazy reviews get a very negative response in general.

I kinda like Mr.Newman , and i came to this page to try and learn something , anything, and to get some opinions on the tracks i have yet to hear...
Something weird is going on here ...

The Journey
The Journey

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a Shadow ?, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Journey (Audio CD)
...No ! This dreadful album is , not even a Shadow , of Big Country .
This is not Big Country .
Look , I so wanted to love this album , I so wanted to find 2 or ...4 .or 6 ...? , great tracks ! .
I read all the 5 star reviews ... and I was bloody delighted , truly .
Ordered, recieved, listened ,
.... I Despaired .
I honestly believe that there are some Fan Club ?
Instructions colouring the reviews here .
BEWARE.
I love the band .. this is not , even close , to a Shadow , the past is most definitely , a different Country . Lets be clear . I wanted to love this band , I hate few things in life , but I hate this album . I only write this , to advise Big County fans to Youtube .or whatever, before spending your cash. If you like it, great ! . Just approach with caution . Stay Alive .

Battle Born
Battle Born

2.0 out of 5 stars ''the October tree'' ..., 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
... love them , I even reviewed Day and Age , because i felt it was under appreciated , and I thoroughly enjoy Brandon's solo album . I gave them both 5 stars .
This work is , however a major disappointment.
I can't think of anything to say about the individual songs , I simply don't rate Any of them.
I'm beyond , let down.