Profile for Powners > Reviews

Content by Powners

Powners "Powners" (London, England)

Pentel P205 automatic Pencil 0.5mm - single pack
Pentel P205 automatic Pencil 0.5mm - single pack

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect pencil, 27 Feb. 2012
The Pentel P205....... I've tried other pencils, always come back to this one. Never leave home without this and a Moleskine notebook.

Alex's Adventures in Numberland
Alex's Adventures in Numberland
by Alex Bellos

5.0 out of 5 stars It all works out in the end!, 14 Feb. 2012
Not being a whizz at maths at school, I felt that after 26 years, it was time to face my fear. I was surprised to find this book thoroughly riviting. I would recommend it. Go on, don't be afraid.........

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one!, 13 Sept. 2011
Its a big old book, of that there is no question. Read it though, it will take you to a different place. I've read both Pillars of the Earth and World without End, this is just as good. Can't wait for the next installment.

Conquest (The Making of England Quartet)
Conquest (The Making of England Quartet)
by Stewart Binns

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best....., 9 Mar. 2011
Seeing this on the shelf and reading the cover made it sound a very interesting read. Unfortunately I only made it to page 120. No plot to speak of, two dimentional character that dissappear after each chapter. Dissapointing. Could have been a great subject, maybe Bernard Cornwell could have a bash?

Underground England: Travels Beneath Our Cities and Country
Underground England: Travels Beneath Our Cities and Country
by Stephen Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars I concur........ A dissapointment., 8 Sept. 2010
After reading Underground London I was looking forward to more of the same. I even ignored the Amazon reviews. I should have taken notice. I haven't even the will to finish it. I am glad I found it in a cheap book shop.
Charity shop ahoy!

The Road
The Road
by Cormac McCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 19 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Road (Paperback)
I have just read this book in a little over two sittings, in a day. I can honestly say it would be in my top ten of books I have ever read. Parts of it were almost poetic. Its rare in a book to care so deeply about the characters. But within the first five pages I found it hard to put down.
Please read this book. Its extraordinary.

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavens!, 10 Nov. 2009
I, personally never read long reviews on Amazon and don't intend to start........Unputdownable (is that a word? It should be!)
I read this behemouth in just over a week. One of those books that makes you antisocial. Picked it up every spare second I could.
Read It! Don't be daunted.

Ronnie Barker Authorised Biography
Ronnie Barker Authorised Biography
by Bob McCabe

2.0 out of 5 stars V. Poor, 2 Mar. 2009
I bought this book in a charity shop. For this I am glad. I would have been gutted if I had paid the full price. Don't misunderstand, I think Ronnie Barker is a genius. I watched the round of drinks sketch the other night and nearly fell off of my chair laughing.
I read a lot of biographies. This, journalistically is probably one of the weakest I have come across. It reads like an overlong CV. Full of repetition and shows no insight into the man himself.
In the words of Arkwright......t t t t t t t terrible.