Profile for Louise Gillett > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
WOMAN IN BLUE AND WHITE
WOMAN IN BLUE AND WHITE

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Janet Dooleage, 21 Jun. 2016
I have read several of this author's books and enjoyed them all very much. She tells her stories simply and clearly and the plots are well thought-out and gripping. This book is my favourite so far - I am looking forward to her next one.

Red Socks at the Weekend
Red Socks at the Weekend

5.0 out of 5 stars Memoir/poetry, 29 Mar. 2016
I enjoyed this short poetic memoir - a new genre? - in which the author intersperses his verse with brief memories of family life. A wry, amusing and entertaining read.

The Last Letter from Your Lover
The Last Letter from Your Lover

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story., 19 Jan. 2016
I really enjoyed this book, although I am constantly mystified at the fact that typos and minor inconsistencies slip through on professionally published books, particularly the kindle versions. Anyway, the plot was good, the characters were realistic and I found myself rooting for them. I had several things I needed to do this morning, but found myself unable to put the book down because I was getting near the end and needed to find out what happened. I finally finished the book and got on with my day at least an hour later than I had planned.

I have read three of JoJo Moyes' books now, and generally I don't find time to read several books by one author - there is so much out there I want to read! This writer certainly knows what she is doing. Excellent.

Louise Gillett, author of Surviving Schizophrenia, a memoir

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 3 Jan. 2016
This book didn't take long to read, because it is written both beautifully and in a straightforward style. I really enjoyed it and thanks to what I discovered within its pages I can now get back to my own writing with a much improved attitude.
Louise Gillett
Author of 'Surviving Schizophrenia, a memoir'.

The Lady in the Van
The Lady in the Van

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating story, 27 Dec. 2015
I really enjoyed this book although I read it much too quickly - I will have to revisit it soon. It was an interesting insight into both the eponymous old lady and the life and mind Bennett himself, since it consisted mostly of short extracts from his diary. Many thanks to the author for sharing this story with us.

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
by Karen Joy Fowler

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing - a really worthwhile read, 7 Oct. 2015
A friend lent me this book and I thought it was fantastic. It was a great, romping read, which addressed many difficult issues but managed nonetheless to be both interesting and fun. A life-enhancing book.

The Woman I Was Born To Be
The Woman I Was Born To Be
by Susan Boyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and Sweet, 7 Oct. 2015
This autobiography was very frank. It did not over-expose the private life of the author, but I felt when reading it that I got the whole story. It was written in a simple and direct style (I wondered whether it was ghost-written). I think Susan Boyle's character came across well and I was glad to have read her heart-warming life-story.

Wake Up and Live!
Wake Up and Live!
by Ms. Dorothea Brande

4.0 out of 5 stars Sterling self-help, 7 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Wake Up and Live! (Paperback)
I love a self-help book! This one was written a long time ago, but still has relevance today. There is some sterling advice included - and the book managed to be a quick and easy read as well as a beautifully written and sedate one. My only concern was that when I looked up the author on Wiki later I discovered that she had died quite young, and not very long after writing the book - which is sad, and perhaps an indication that she had not, after all, solved the question of how best to live one's life.

Dear Fatty
Dear Fatty
by Dawn French

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 7 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Paperback)
This book ticked all the boxes, but somehow didn't quite pull me into the author's story. I read three other books in the time between starting and finishing this one and only forced myself to finish it eventually because the book group discussion about it was imminent. I can't quite put my finger on the problem. Perhaps the writing was too clunky or the material not quite riveting enough...or maybe it was just me. I did find the book inspirational - in particular the part where French wrote about how she became confident by pretending to be that way. I showed this passage to my teenaged daughter - it was a useful reminder that we all put on an act in life!

Author of Surviving Schizophrenia, a memoir

How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in one question and twenty attempts at an answer

4.0 out of 5 stars An impressive feat, but complex., 6 Oct. 2015
This book was recommended in my Mslexia diary - the review there was so effusive that I bought the book with high expectations. However, I found it a more complicated read than I had expected. I didn't have the concentration to wade all the way through it, which is unusual for me as I read a fair amount and I tend to stick with books once I have started them. Instead I speed read this - I did find some pearls of wisdom, but it was not the engrossing book I thought I had been promised. I thought the book was an impressive feat but it was wasted on me - I guess it would be best suited to lovers of philosophy or to academics.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5