Profile for Czar > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Korg PITCHCLIP Clip-On Chromatic Tuner for Guitar and Bass
Korg PITCHCLIP Clip-On Chromatic Tuner for Guitar and Bass

5.0 out of 5 stars So useful - why pay more?, 1 May 2016
I'm a new student to the electric bass and was previously frightened of changing the tuning of my strings in case I couldn't go back to the original settings; this little marvel has allayed my worries and is one of my top buys to date as a fledgling musician.

Think It Over
Think It Over

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Streak's highlight, 26 April 2016
This review is from: Think It Over (MP3 Download)
Best song on the album and the only one that sounds truly like Kotzen's mercurial solo material; the rest of 'Hot Streak's too "busy" for my palate...

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless (especially at the price...), 26 April 2016
Bought these so I could practice the bass without disturbing my neighbours; the in-ear headphones that I use in the gym/walking to work just aren't suitable in this respect. I'm delighted with the quality of sound, the brilliant price and the fact that they even come with the little adaptor jack to connect the 'phones to my amp.

Merrell Chameleon Wrap Slam, Men's Trekking and Hiking Shoes, J86269, Multicolor (Charcoal/Red), 8.5 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Good looks, great in the gym too, but... slippery and soles wear fast, 26 April 2016
Over the years I've owned probably eight pairs of these, mostly in red/grey but more recently in orange/silver too.
Good points: comfortable; excellent for walking in most terrain for prolonged periods and superior for any gym training that doesn't include running as they provide greater stability than traditional trainers for weight training, circuits, kettlecise etc. They look good too.
Now the poor: they're horribly slippery in the wet (cobbles, rocks etc.) and the soles wear far too fast, especially if, like many people, you walk even slightly on the outer edge of the heel.
My orange/silver ones are purely for the gym and so should last - for walking and leisure I'll be looking elsewhere from now on.

Spigen Tough Armor Series Cover Case for iPhone 5C - Reventon Yellow
Spigen Tough Armor Series Cover Case for iPhone 5C - Reventon Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior, 26 April 2016
Best Phone case I've ever owned - simple as that.

Morphy Richards 732005 2-in-1 Supervac Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 18 V - Red
Morphy Richards 732005 2-in-1 Supervac Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 18 V - Red

2.0 out of 5 stars Good as an upright - sucks (!) as a hand-held..., 26 April 2016
First the good points: in full, upright vacuum mode it's light, maneuverable and has entirely adequate suction, and, whilst it can take a long time to fully charge, when it has done so there's enough life in it to complete your jobs.
Now for the poor: when it's in hand-held mode it's really no better than useless. Why does it loose all suction power when the motor for the entire unit is contained within it?
I bought this with the intention of using it in upright mode for my bedroom, the one carpeted room in my flat, and the hand-held mode for my beloved classic car; regarding the latter I seem to find myself having to pick up minuscule stones that the weedy vacuum can't manage!
I was going to contact Amazon about returning it as in the latter respect it's not really fit for purpose but it appears I've had it too long...
Should have bought a smiley Henry!

Nick Munro Trombone Bottle Opener and Corckscrew, Metallic Silver
Nick Munro Trombone Bottle Opener and Corckscrew, Metallic Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, feels great, but..., 14 April 2016
Heavy, beautifully made object let down by the fact that it's not very good as a... well, corkscrew.
From my experience it doesn't bore into the cork unless you exert additional pressure downwards, this then causes the cork to become ragged at the top - but you can't see that as it's obscured by the shaft of the unit. Unlike a conventional winged corkscrew - which you can manually clear any stray cork from prior to full removal, the first you know of a bad result is when bits of cork have cascaded down inside the shaft and into your expensive bottle of rosso...
I'll be investing in a waiter's friend and leaving this for display.

Sony Compact Earphone Style Microphone, Designed to Record Phone Conversations From Your Cell or Telephone to Your Voice Recorder, Computer and Any Other Recording Device
Offered by Smart Shop UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Only if you have a microphone, not headphone socket!, 5 Feb. 2016
I purchased this in conjunction with a £100 Sony ICD-TX650 top-of-the-range slimline voice recorder & have discovered to my cost that they are not compatible - a shame as I'd bought them to record telephone interviews.
My particular voice recorder only has a headphone socket and not a microphone one - that is what's required for this item to work, I wish it was made clearer...
So if your voice recorder does not have a microphone socket then forget it - smartphones too.

Natural Chambers Leather Balsam Conditioner and Restorer 200ml (Unscented)
Natural Chambers Leather Balsam Conditioner and Restorer 200ml (Unscented)
Offered by Chambers Guilfoyle Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good initial results, 29 Jan. 2016
I've only been using this leather treatment for a few weeks, however so far I've applied it to my leather sofa, classic car's steering wheel and gear-knob and a number of my beloved Jeffery West boots: the results are impressive.

Cannibals
Cannibals

3.0 out of 5 stars falls closer to 2009’s Peace Sign – great by anyone else’s standards but patchy by his own, 12 May 2015
This review is from: Cannibals (MP3 Download)
Had this, Kotzen’s 20th solo album, built on the foundations set by its swashbuckling predecessor, 2011’s 24 Hours, then it would almost certainly be a five star candidate.
As it stands, Cannibals, on which Kotzen once again plays the vast majority of instruments as well as handling production duties, falls closer to 2009’s Peace Sign – great by anyone else’s standards but patchy by his own.
Thankfully, however, amongst the ten songs nestles a cache of tracks that adhere themselves to your ears like chewing gum stuck to the seat of your jeans.
The title track’s bodacious bassline has lifejacket levels of buoyancy, with the tempo racing up through the gears for the chorus before the song concludes with gorgeous, synth-drenched vocal harmonies.
In An Instant sees Kotzen dishing up more soul chops than a Mississippi grill house, whilst on I’m All In Kotzen duets with KXM’s Dug Pinnick over a sassy grove.
Kotzen’s fellow Winery Dog Billy Sheehan provides the low harmony vocals on Stand Tall, though the true star on this track is the biblically burbling organ than drives the number.
Lost points are chiefly attributed the likes of the funk-flavoured Shake It Off, which is hamstrung by a forgettable chorus, whilst Come On Free garners the rare and dubious honour of being a real Kotzen clanger.
Whist the success of the Winery Dogs may have boosted Kotzen’s profile in recent years, away from that trio he’s still capable of creating music that makes you feel like you’re in on a special secret.
By the way – those five stars? Look no further than 2007’s Return Of The Mother Head's Family Reunion to find them…

Page: 1 | 2 | 3