Profile for Music addict > Reviews

Content by Music addict

Music addict (Kent)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Colloquial Spanish 2: The Next Step in Language Learning (Colloquial Series)
Colloquial Spanish 2: The Next Step in Language Learning (Colloquial Series)

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version may be very faulty to judge by the preview, 19 Sep 2014
This review only applies to the Kindle version.

I was contemplating buying this and looked at the Kindle preview pages. In these few pages there were a horrifying number of errors which probably/hopefully were not in the printed version and have crept in when the book was "Kindled" (and burning it seems the best option).
In the vocabulary help box of dialogue 1 we are given 4 new items of vocab, 2 of which are completely wrong "un inonton" and "pinclio" which are however spelt correctly in the dialogue (monton,pincho). Other glaring errors which stand out on a brief glance are "calir" instead of "calor", buen "tieinpo" instead of buen "tiempo" and el "noite" instead of el "norte".
To find so many errors in a language teaching book is appalling.
I observed this 19th September 2014, which is 2 weeks after a new Kindle version was made available, but the preview contains these mistakes and I have not downloaded the full latest edition to see if the errors actually are in the new version and the previous version is still in the preview.

Mens Genuine Sheepskin Lined Chestnut Slipper with Hard Sole. Sizes. 6 to 13
Mens Genuine Sheepskin Lined Chestnut Slipper with Hard Sole. Sizes. 6 to 13

3.0 out of 5 stars How do penguins keep their feet warm?, 6 Sep 2014
Slightly disappointed with these having had 2 previous pairs of a similar style from other makers ("Ewe" were the best but no longer seem available at the moment).
I think the sizing is a major problem with this type of slipper. I bought a size bigger than my usual shoe size and found the fit very tight, but I knew from experience that the lining would compact considerably as time went on, giving more room. My slightly bigger right foot is still uncomfortable after a month or so of wear. However, I suspect that the next size up would have had me floundering around like a clumsy penguin, and as the slipper wears more I will probably be happy with the fit.
I like the warmth and overall think they are a reasonable buy.

Canon DCC-1350 Soft Case for Ixus 140
Canon DCC-1350 Soft Case for Ixus 140
Offered by Picsio

5.0 out of 5 stars Good-looking and sensible, with a streak of vibrancy. No, not me, the case!, 6 Sep 2014
Good case for the Ixus 265. A snug fit, with no room for extra cards, but attractive leather effect, magnetic closure, added security of strap threading through central hole in top of lid. I would have preferred a case which allowed you to take pictures without removing the camera from the case, as I had with a previous Ixus, but failing that option, this is a very good case at a reasonable price, and the tight fit means it increases the size barely at all, so the camera still slips into a pocket easily.

Secateurs - Anvil Ratchet
Secateurs - Anvil Ratchet

5.0 out of 5 stars The old secateurs are dead... Long live the new secateurs!, 6 Sep 2014
I bought a pair of secateurs sold by a French company "Jardin de France" about 5-6 years ago. They were brilliant and I have only abandoned them since the blade was getting dull. They seemed to cut through anything.
What's this got to do with these secateurs? When I received the Spear and Jackson's I was very surprised to find them virtually identical in every respect except colour to my beloved pair: all mechanical parts in the same position and style. They must be made by the same company and even the hollow for the firms' branding is the same shape. The only significant difference is that the retaining clip on the old one is plastic and metal on this one.
So, on the basis that I loved my old pair and cannot see any difference, I do not hesitate to award 5 stars.

WHITE ADJUSTABLE HIT AND MISS LARGE AIR VENT 11.25 " X 10.5 " VENTILATOR COVER
WHITE ADJUSTABLE HIT AND MISS LARGE AIR VENT 11.25 " X 10.5 " VENTILATOR COVER
Offered by DOM'S DIY DIRECT

4.0 out of 5 stars An identical replacement, 10 Aug 2014
Bought two of these to replace very discoloured old vents (20 years at a guess, maybe much more). They were identical which meant we did not need to replace the supporting screws on the wall which you slip the vent over. Unfortunately the previous DIY-er had left uneven walls around the hole so that the vent is not airtight to the wall, or as airtight as it could be anyway. But that's not the vent's fault. The vent is quite flimsy but solid enough for the job I suppose. The back section fixes on the wall and the front section slides over it to open and close the airflow slots.

3D Holographic Wife Anniversary Me to You Bear Card
3D Holographic Wife Anniversary Me to You Bear Card
Offered by Preshunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved from the divorce courts again!, 25 July 2014
A good quality card of good size. The front is that fairly thick clear plasticky lightly ribbed material I associate with children's toys which show movement when inclined from side to side. There is a very brief suitable text within.

The card arrived within a few days of my order and in the nick of time to preserve my marriage - I must order more promptly next year! Card was posted to me in a stoutish envelope with sturdy cardboard insert to protect the card. Card was in cellophane cover with its own envelope.

Recommended.

Anniversary Greetings Card - Two Parrots - By Max Hernn
Anniversary Greetings Card - Two Parrots - By Max Hernn
Offered by Lip International Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Saved from the divorce courts again ..., 24 July 2014
Ideally I would have preferred the card to have been slightly larger and with text inside, but I succumbed to the attraction of the picture. The card was delivered (with solid cardboard protection and a free card) 2 days after it was ordered, which was good since I had left the anniversary card until the last moment!

Danzi: Flute and Clarinet Concertos (Galway)
Danzi: Flute and Clarinet Concertos (Galway)
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music - but odd insert, 21 May 2014
I am really enjoying listening to this CD, beautiful music, some wistfully melancholy and some bright and lively. I thoroughly recommend it.

However, like a previous reviewer I began to think it might not be an authentic Sony CD, although since I received this from Fulfillment Express, a "Fulfilled by Amazon" seller within a day, the CD should be genuine . I was a little puzzled by the insert. When I decided to read the notes on the insert to find out a bit about Danzi, I discovered there were none, and the paper felt thick and plasticky. The front cover has a black surrounding frame not the 2 shades of blue in the Amazon illustration, although both seem to cover up the bottom line of the credits.

Le Petit Larousse Illustre 2014
Le Petit Larousse Illustre 2014
by Collective

5.0 out of 5 stars Petit ou grand?, 1 May 2014
For those like myself who are finding small print increasingly difficult to read it is perhaps worth pointing out that there is a Grand Larousse Illustre available for not that much more financial outlay.

Come Away, Death (Mrs Bradley)
Come Away, Death (Mrs Bradley)

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow, intricate and dull, 15 Mar 2014
I made 2 serious attempts to read this book but was defeated on both occasions. I recently completed an OU course in Ancient Greek but still found the background of Greek religion totally uninvolving and its detail reminiscent of a dry-as-dust old-fashioned lecture. The characters did not engage my interest or sympathy either.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7