Profile for Music addict > Reviews

Twootz Un-Netted Fruity Fat Balls 12.75kg equivalent to approx 150 Fatballs
Twootz Un-Netted Fruity Fat Balls 12.75kg equivalent to approx 150 Fatballs
Offered by Garden_Wildlife_Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars 150 is good, 300 is even better!, 20 Feb. 2015
These were very good value and the birds seemed pleased with them. I've just ordered and received the 300 balls offer, which was even better value.

Twootz Un-Netted Fruity Fat Balls 25.5kg equivalent to approx 300 Fatballs (150 pack x 2)
Offered by Garden_Wildlife_Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for money., 20 Feb. 2015
I had previously bought 150 fruity balls and having found them to be good opted for the 300 balls this time, saving about £5. The balls were delivered in two good boxes firmly taped together, each containing 150 balls in a large clear polythene bag which was not sealed. Together the boxes weigh 25.5 kilos (equivalent to 4 stone in old money), and with their somewhat awkward dimensions could represent a challenge to the less muscular amongst us. The birds continue to eat these, especially if you make it easy for them by partly crushing them first, but also whole in feeders. A good deal.

Stovax X Long Heat Resistant 100% Genuine Leather Fire, BBQ, Barbeque Gloves
Stovax X Long Heat Resistant 100% Genuine Leather Fire, BBQ, Barbeque Gloves
Offered by The Somerset Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep your cool..., 10 Feb. 2015
These are brilliant. They make it possible to manipulate logs (preferably with a poker!) in the stove for short periods without any discomfort or burning. Obviously they do not make you fireproof, but they do act as a temporary barrier to heat. The length protects your forearms too. We've been using our pair for 18 months and they are still intact.

Duracell MN1500 Plus Power AA Size Batteries--Pack of 32
Duracell MN1500 Plus Power AA Size Batteries--Pack of 32

5.0 out of 5 stars Good., 5 Feb. 2015
Dated 2024. Amazon purchase.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars This is unbelievable., 29 Jan. 2015
If you believe you are going to get a 256gb card at this price when Sandisk are charging about £280 for theirs (not micro), you are really very naive.

128GB Micro SD Card
128GB Micro SD Card

1.0 out of 5 stars Can you believe this?, 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: 128GB Micro SD Card (Electronics)
It may have 128 on it and it may report itself as 128 on a display, but until you have tried putting very large amounts of data on it you will not know if it is a scam. It could be a 16 (or less) programmed to report itself as higher capacity. Since reputable firms are selling 128s at about £70, this is surely too good to be true?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2015 5:20 PM GMT

Mr Beams MB723 Indoor Wireless Battery-Powered LED Universal Motion Sensor Nightlight (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighten your darkness, 27 Jan. 2015
Really very good. I have one fixed on the kitchen wall 5 feet from the door, pointing into the room (i.e. at 90 degrees to the door). I now confidently walk through the doorway (which has a table edge 3 foot away) knowing that the light will come on as I cross the threshold despite the very acute angle between the sensor and the door. The light is sufficient to dimly see most objects in a 10x10 foot kitchen. With its estimated 4,800 operations per set of batteries, I reckon it should last about a year.

Sony MDR-1A Prestige Overhead Headphones - Black
Sony MDR-1A Prestige Overhead Headphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good headphones, 14 Jan. 2015
I bought these to go with the Sony A15 player (see my review). They are undoubtedly very good but a few things niggle: a revealing deep bass that is however slightly boomy, which some may find desirable; a slightly uncomfortable earcup which does not stop sound leaking as much as I had hoped; and I am a bit disappointed that their sensitivity is not noticeably better than my old Sennheiser 595s'. I had (mistakenly) assumed that the lower impedance would create more volume.
However, nitpicking apart, this is still an excellent pair of headphones with very good sound quality.

Sony NWZA-15 A Series High Res Walkman 16 GB - Silver
Sony NWZA-15 A Series High Res Walkman 16 GB - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best player around at the moment, 14 Jan. 2015
Why buy the A15? The Walkman was my salvation since I had been wanting a high-capacity player to take as much music as possible on my travels but was reluctant to get involved with Apple players. I bought the Sony Android NWZ-F886 last year and had been frustrated on two fronts: the limited memory and the way the battery drained so quickly. The A15 solved both these issues with its internal 16gb (presumably less after its own operating software needs are taken into account) and great battery life since it is not Android based or internet linked. Although I would have preferred to have the US version with 64gb internal memory, the fact that the A15 can use MicroSDXC cards without any apparent limit in number and maybe not in memory size either, makes that a minor irritant. Having just bought the Hi-Res Sony Walkman NWZ-A15, and ideally wanting some quality closed back headphones to prevent sound leakage to those around me, I decided to get the new Sony MDR-1A headphones as an obvious match.

Capacity and ripping. I have loaded about 300 CDs as 320kbps mp3 files so far and used about 75% of my first 64gb card (I note that this is apparently only 59gb of actual usable memory). I used the Sony software (Media Go) which allows you to rip CDs to FLAC too, unlike Windows Media Player. I was disappointed that album art was not always available (although 90%+ of the time it was) and have not found an intuitive way (yes, too lazy to read around) of finding and adding missing album art. Any suggestions? The Sony software seemed a bit slower than I would have hoped and expected, taking for example about 10 minutes to rip Benjamin Grosvenor's new "Dances" to 320 mbps mp3.

File type. Why mp3 and not FLAC? My main requirement is portability of large amounts of music, without the need to change memory cards frequently and I thought high quality FLACs would not really be of much benefit when listening while travelling. I decided to test my ability to distinguish between mp3 and FLAC on headphones by ripping two recent classical piano CDs which I assumed would be high-quality recordings (Grosvenor's 2014 "Dances" and Khatia Buniatishvili's 2012 "Chopin") to both formats and then playing chunks of various tracks before I knew which format file I was listening to. The test was done using the new Sony MDR-1A headphones and also Sennheiser 595s, which are/were equally expensive but open rather than closed headphones. Initially I believed I could distinguish between the mp3 and FLAC files, and thought I favoured the mp3. The difference was so minimal that I could not guarantee my imagination did not play a part. However, when I tried the test again later I had to admit I could not tell the difference. I would rip to FLAC if playing back on a proper hi-fi at home (just in case) but for me personally mp3 is good enough (for my ears anyway) when travelling.

Settings. I was shocked to find that when I applied the Clear Audio + setting the upper frequencies were so boosted that the hiss (so we still get that with digital recordings?) made the Chopin unlistenable and was also slightly distracting on "Dances". The "Studio/Live/Club/Arena/Matrix" VPT (Surround) options may be useful particularly with more modern types of music, as too may the Graphic Equalizer, although changing settings mid-song will produce a jump-gap in the flow of sound. There are genre presets you can use for "Heavy/Pop/Jazz" on the equalizer. The number of various sound adjustments on the A15 are for me personally perhaps more confusing than useful. With treble and bass adjustments on a hi-fi amplifier you can instantly hear the results of your twiddling (with no gaps), but here it is less easy to compare and decide on your preferred settings.

Volume. The EU sound level cap (AVLS) can be permanently switched off or overridden at any time. However, with the Sony MDR-1A headphones I find that, dependent on the music, I prefer or need near maximum volume on the A15 and would like maybe a notch or two more, so a separate headphone amplifier might be a necessity if you like your music really loud, but at over 60 my hearing may be less acute than it was. This was disappointing as I had hoped these matched headphones would obviate any need for further amplification. My wife also mentions that there is sound leakage, despite the closed back and the headphone padding around the ears, but then again I am playing on close to maximum volume. Compared with my Sennheiser 595s the sound is clearly different (apart from the expected closed v. open back effect), with a more revealing deep bass response which can however, I find, sound a bit heavy and boomy - which is what I suppose many would find a positive feature. I am not convinced that I will be able to wear these headphones for hours on end without sweatiness and discomfort, but it's early days yet.

Switching off. I may have missed something here, and if so will surely be corrected by someone, but you only seem able to put the player in a sleep mode which resembles switch-off but any pressure on any control starts the machine up immediately. If you have the "Hold" switched on, the player will power down after 5 seconds, but I wonder if pressure on controls in pockets and bags might not switch the screen on and without the "Hold" engaged the player would stay on for longer and possibly run the battery right down.

Charging. With the recent cases of e-cigarettes exploding because they are not supplied with their own charger and with the uncertainty around the safety of some imported cheap chargers, it would have been reassuring to have a branded charger included, as people will surely use chargers instead of computer USBs sometimes?

All the above is based on my ears and preferences, so please do not assume that this is what you will find. I would be very interested to find out if other users can indeed distinguish with certainty between mp3 320kbps and FLAC lossless files both on headphones and on home audio systems. It is an easy experiment to carry out, but to avoid bias the files must not be identifiable when listened to. I have not yet downloaded any Hi-Res files with the free £25 voucher and would be interested to hear about them too, although as I have said mp3 seems good enough for my needs.

Overall I am very happy with the player and just perhaps a tad disappointed with the headphones, although I recognize their high sound quality.

Added 19 Jan.2015:

I proudly took my A15 to a "show and tell" cup of coffee with an equally elderly friend. I put on Mark Knopfler's "Sailing to Philadelphia" and adjusted the sound to my preference before handing him the headphones. His immediate question was "How do you turn the volume down?" So not everyone wants the levels I want.

I have now bought a FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11) headphone amplifier to satisfy my own perceived needs. It is rather a bulky and awkward partner to the A15, being wider and heavier (metal) with a curved surface not conducive to placing the two together. I also bought a FiiO L5 line out connector (plug for Sony socket one end to 3.5 mm jack on the other) to be able to connect the amplifier that way - for better quality than jack-to-jack. With the low-gain switch on, the volume level was not particularly improved, but the high-gain switch gave a massive boost to the volume, with some loss of quality. Connecting via the L5 prevents the Sony's own volume rocker functioning, whereas with jack-to-jack the volume can be modified on both devices.
If you feel you need more volume, I would see this as a solution. I did not offer to demonstrate the E11 to my friend with the more sensitive ears...
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2015 1:00 AM GMT

Gardman Wild Bird No Mess Seed Mix 20kg
Gardman Wild Bird No Mess Seed Mix 20kg
Offered by CharliesDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can lift it, it's great value., 13 Jan. 2015
Beware the weight of this 20 kilo (44 lbs) bag. It is quite a lump to carry, being about the size of compost bags sold in garden centres.
Product seems good and arrived promptly enough. The seed is contained in a very strong plastic-type bag and was posted in a cardboard box.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8