Profile for Owen > Reviews

Content by Owen

Owen

Page: 1 | 2
Black Executive Multi Function Standby Case for the Kindle Fire HD 7" Tablet (Previous Generation Tablet) 16GB or 32GB with Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature and Stylus Loop Holder + Screen Protector + Capacitive Stylus Pen
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 1 Jun 2014
Although this is reasonable well finished, the stylus (a good idea) is amazingly difficult to get into the elasticated holder (a bad idea) but what sets this off as an absolute waste of time is that it is incredibly difficult to get to the volume buttons or the on switch. I've no idea what the gaps in the side of the case are for, but it certainly isn't for access to the buttons. I suppose if you buy cheap, you can't complain too much, but it really isn't good enough for me.

Kveikur
Kveikur

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, just fantastic., 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
I couldn't say I have ever been a huge Sigur Ros fan, but I am familiar with their more well known work such as Svefn-g-englar, Hoppipolla & Njosnavelin (listen to them if you're unfamiliar with them!!), so this album probably was a bit of a toe in the water for me. But I was absolutely blown away by all of it & I fell in love with the album straight away (not something I am prone to do) & there is so much which is so good, particularly Brennisteinn, Ísjaki & Kveikur, simple but great drum beats, some really strange sounds that really fit & it has all the quality of just letting you drift off.

So how good is it really from someone who was a not really a fan? Well, I bought all their other albums based on this one, I am so pleased to have found something so very unique from a band who have been around for years & I have become a fan. Just buy it, you wont be disappointed.

Engineering Formulas
Engineering Formulas
by Kurt Gieck

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Engineering Formulas (Hardcover)
I love this book. It's a small, handy & in a hardback version. Most of the engineering formulas are included & unless you work in a very specialised field, you should find what you are looking for. The only errors I've noticed are that there is the odd word not translated from German to English, but this does not detracted from the meanings or use of the formulas - well worth it, particularly if you are an engineering student or need a handy reference book.

Klipsch Mode M40 Noise Cancelling Over Ear Headphones - Copper/Black
Klipsch Mode M40 Noise Cancelling Over Ear Headphones - Copper/Black
Offered by RB Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but....., 8 Sep 2013
I do like these headphones a lot; they have a good sound & as yet, I have yet to hear any distortion across the range. The noise cancelling feature increases the volume very noticeably & I'm not sure if the function actually does anything, but my family haven't noticed any noise leakage with either the noise cancelling function . They are also noticeably heavier than any other headphones I've had which I think is mainly down to the speakers (not really an issue) & one other feature I quite like is the connecting lead between the headphones & pc / ipod / walkman / etc can be changed, so if the wire snaps after some use, you haven't lost the use of the headphones & you could easily replace it. There is also a separate lead to control an ipod if you have one. The headphones also look fantastic, but........

they are some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever had. I've got an average sized head & they have a bulldog clip like quality, so if you've got a largish noggin, it'll be like putting your head in a vice after a while & there is also not much clearance between your ear & the speaker, so again, you might find the tightness forcing part of the speaker to touch your outer ear. There is a solution to ease the tightness off though, I had to stretch them over a speaker cabinet (or you could use the box it comes with) & left them overnight & that has backed them off a bit. Ultimately this is the reason why I gave these headphones 4 & not 5 stars as the designers should have recognised this & the headphones could do with a deeper foam surround on the earpieces.

Overall, I do like them very much & would recommend them with the above caveats

Carl Sagan's Cosmos [DVD] [1980]
Carl Sagan's Cosmos [DVD] [1980]
Dvd ~ Carl Sagan
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cosmos is all that is, ever was or ever will be...., 17 July 2013
Like many others, I first saw Carl Sagan's The Cosmos as a kid and it was the very first thing I ever remember which opened my eyes to the true magnificence of science. Carl Sagan's deliberate & easy style of presenting a whole host of concepts is fantastic, easy enough for a child to grasp & still leave adults in awe & for those of a maths phobia, when the few equations are produced, Sagan explains each part in simple terms to demonstrate what it all means & why it is used. All in all, The Cosmos is still a fantastic piece of work & although Carl Sagan has gone, his genius & brilliance hasn't & would recommend to anyone.

Braun 66017 Radio-Controlled Travel Alarm Clock Blue
Braun 66017 Radio-Controlled Travel Alarm Clock Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, just., 10 July 2013
Although this looks fairly good, it isn't really fit for purpose as an alarm clock. The product is approximately 30mm x 30mm square & is fairly dim at night which is a plus & also updates automatically with no problems, but..... the alarm is so weak & quiet, I could hardly hear it when I was awake! Unless you are someone who can wake up to the noise of a mouse creeping by on tip toe, it is never going to wake you up & if you are a heavy sleeper, forget it.

HP v210w 32GB USB Flash Drive
HP v210w 32GB USB Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 32GB USB I've had, 10 July 2013
As the title describes, this is the best 32GB USB drive I've ever had. I've tried a few 32GB drives & have always been let down but their instability, continual crashing, failure to be recognised by the PC for whatever reason, but after 6 months of continual daily use, this has none of those problems. The only downside for me is that the read time is a little slow in opening folders / accessing files, but that said, I've given it 5 stars because of it's stability & reliability. Write times are comparable to normal USB 2.0 devices & of course, given the size of the drive, you can store tonnes of info on it. Very good & would recommend it against any other 32GB drive.

Tefal Pro Express Turbo GV8360 Steam Generator, Anti Scale, 1.8 Litre Water Tank

5.0 out of 5 stars it takes no prisoners!, 2 Mar 2011
I was really weary about paying so much money for "just an iron", but I couldn't agree more with other reviewers - it's excellent & it takes absolutely no prisoners. If you've tumbled dried your clothes to death with those massive creases & folds in them, this iron makes short work of it all. Without wishing to repeat other reviewers, you'll be doing very well if you can find a better iron & I can't recommend it highly enough.

Leadership and the One Minute Manager (The One Minute Manager)
Leadership and the One Minute Manager (The One Minute Manager)
by Ken Blanchard

1.0 out of 5 stars One minute to put it down., 24 Nov 2010
I bought this book on the advice of a management & leadership lecturer who had billed this book as excellent. The opening pages are written in an anecdotal style with the author virtually narrating a hypothetical meeting between a manager & the nameless "one minute manager" who then explains a little bit about situational leadership.

We are then treated to the visiting manager discussing the one minute managers style with 4 of his employees & how he treats them differently. Dull discussions then take place on how the one minute manager's leadership style changes for each individual. On completion, the visiting manager has seen the light. This could've been shortened considerably by saying that you have to adapt your approach to each person depending on their knowledge, skills, ability & character.

As much as I'd hoped to learn some real insights regarding situational leadership, it very much talks down to the reader as a bit of a stuffed dummy. Because of the way it is written, I lost interest in it very quickly. This is a bit of a shame as I'm sure there probably are some real golden nuggets in there, but I just couldn't put up with the Janet & John style.

Boys from the Blackstuff [DVD]
Boys from the Blackstuff [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Angelis

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing at its brilliant best., 24 Nov 2010
Never mind 5 stars, Boys From The Blackstuff is worth twice that. Alan Bleasdale deserves a knighthood for this masterpiece which is essentially a social commentary of the devastation caused by the Thatcher government in early 80's Liverpool. It tells each individual story of 6 tarmac labourers who become forced into the despair of long term unemployment, no future & grinding poverty. It is also a true reflection of the treatment dished out to the working classes of Britain by the austerity government of the day.

It is the most harrowing of stories from my generation where men having been forced out of work, are forced to scratch out a living as best as they can & are continually harrassed by the DHSS. Perhaps the most poignant of these tales is Yosser's Story acted out by the brilliant Bernard Hill. Even though this collection is full of despair, it also has wonderful moments of real quality in its dark humour. Perhaps the best of these being the Desperate Dan quip from Yosser's Story & the total chaos in the pub in the final scenes of the series in George's Last Ride. Overall, a fantastic piece of work with terrific actors & perhaps foretells the misery yet to be visited on this country by the current government. An absolute must.

Page: 1 | 2