Profile for Andy Mooring > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Twisted Disco 01.03
Twisted Disco 01.03
Offered by positivenoise

4.0 out of 5 stars ... recently stopped buying any new releases as I don't like the Ministry of Sound layout for the new compilations, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Twisted Disco 01.03 (Audio CD)
As a Kandi purist I have recently stopped buying any new releases as I don't like the Ministry of Sound layout for the new compilations. Putting my bitter & twisted views of the new era of Hed Kandi aside, I decided that I would fill the gaps in my collection by buying back catalogue. I am no expert so I can't tell you what genre of house this is but I like what I like and this cd is no bad thing. Its worth mentioning that this is now the best part of a decade old so we are crusing the nostagia highway and the view is breathtaking, there are even tracks on here that I didn't like back in the day which are now worth listening to. I beleive that when Mark Doyle left the Kandi club it was the begining of the end and thankfully what we have here is a reminder that there was a time when Hed Kandi ruled the sound waves. its good to look back its even better when the soundtrack is twisted...............hold on though.......there is one tiny thing that bugs me about this cd, its almost worth not mentioning but its niggling me, its the cover, not the girls on the front, the back, its brown and in my opinion its a bad choice and makes it look a bit drab.........thats it ....enjoy!

6 Pc Piece Bungee Rope Cord Strap Camping Travel Set
6 Pc Piece Bungee Rope Cord Strap Camping Travel Set
Offered by world imports trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Fit for my purposes, 15 May 2014
The lengths vary, which is useful as sometimes it is better to have a shorter bungee instead of loads of extra unwanted length that just gets in the way. I do have one tiny issue, which could be a problem with certain applications for this product. I purchased these to hold down a bike rain cover for which they are perfect. However, I wouldn't be so keen to use them for holding down items on a roof rack or bike rack as the "snap back" tension is not as strong as I would have liked. Bear in mind these are mini bungees, so the use is for lighter applications, if you are using them for an application that requires some strength I would recommend spending a bit more money.

That said, they arrived on time and are perfect for my usage not to mention the value for money.

The Jolley-Rogers and the Ghostly Galleon
The Jolley-Rogers and the Ghostly Galleon
by Jonny Duddle

5.0 out of 5 stars Another piece of excellence, 13 May 2014
My son is a real fan of JD's other releases. I bought this as I think it will serve him well as he learns to read. This is a book for slightly older children as it is more of a novel than a short story. However, it is really good for reading to them as it has loads of illustrations. As for the story, I haven't read it all yet so I can't say, but if you like Jonny Duddle you will enjoy this.

AM TECH GREEN TARPAULIN 6' X 9'
AM TECH GREEN TARPAULIN 6' X 9'
Offered by only the best deals 4u

5.0 out of 5 stars What I expected, 13 May 2014
You can't really write too much about this product. Its Green, its a tarp, it has all of the eyelets where they should be and it is fit for the purpose I had in mind.

It is a good price and it arrived on time, marvelous.

Electro: the Definitive Electro and Hip Hop Collection
Electro: the Definitive Electro and Hip Hop Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars A definitive review, 9 May 2014
I have reviewed a number of Streetsounds albums on Amazon based on my own collection from back in the day. I stumbled over this album some years ago and was totally surprised that it had been released as it had been sometime since a new Electro had been available. I have read the other reviews on this and am fairly disappointed with the negatives.

Heres what I agree with, the mixing is not of the same style as the original series but then why should it be, this is a modern album using 20 year old material and of course DJ Swerve is going to have his own ideas on how to put them together.

The number of tracks is a lot more than usual, 7" versions or not, this is after all a definitive collection it says so on the cover. Electro 13 had a tonne of tracks on it, Crucial Electro 3 the same not to mention New York vs LA beats and they were all restricted by the time constaints of vinyl.

Interestingly no one has pointed out the the cover art is typically not retro Electro style, but who cares.

All that aside, what do you actually get? Well, it is a defintive collection of good tunes that repesented the Electro genre from the 80's. It is a Streetsounds album of merit as it feels of the time with the twist of a new flavour. To be honest I don't want to hear my old albums when I buy a new one, I want to hear new versions of the old, mixes done in different ways, forgotten gems resurected for a modern listener. There is no injustice here, this is a good representation of a time long forgotten.

So why the four stars? Nothing is perfect, not all the content is great in my opinion, but thats the point of a compilation and all told its a well executed mix of some old skool greats. Its just a shame that the cover art is so radically different to the original series but that is just my opinion.

Happy (from Despicable Me 2)
Happy (from Despicable Me 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Despicably happy 2, 10 Jan 2014
Ok, so lets just take a reality check here. What happened to Pharrell and his N.E.R.D buddies using profanity and generally pushing the limits of hip hop? When I found out that he was writing a film score for Despicable me (the first movie) I did think that it would be fairly interesting to see what he would come up with. I then hear that he was going to be involved with the sequel and have to say that I was not disappointed. Say what you will about Pharrell but talent is talent and whether you like his early music or not you cannot take it from him that he is without a doubt, seriously talented. I watched despicable me 2 and heard "Happy" and was instantly hooked. I had no idea that this song had already made it onto the radio etc. My exact comments were that "this is a going to be a hit song" and the reply was "it already is".

Putting this in to perspective, young and old love this song. I have to agree with all the other reviews, short though they are, they are right. You would have to be seriously miserable to not find something in this song that makes you feel happy.

Pharrell had a great year in 2013 with Daft Punk, Robin Thike, Mayer Hawthorne and a plethora of other artists may his talent continue to provide us with great music for years to come......marvellous.

In case you are still wondering, I like it.....a lot.

UK blak (1990)
UK blak (1990)
Offered by MMT-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars UK Gold, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: UK blak (1990) (Audio CD)
Short and sweet for this CD. "Livin' in the light" for me is the peak of this CD . However, the rest is just pure soul sung beautifly. I can listen to this over & over again. Its 24 years since I first heard this CD and its still being played. Enjoy....

Greatest Hits Jazzy Jeff Fresh
Greatest Hits Jazzy Jeff Fresh

5.0 out of 5 stars Its time for big Will and Jazzy J, 9 Jan 2014
So I'm a bit confused, one of the reviewers has said that this CD has good tunes but it sounds so old, isn't that the point of a greatest hits comp? This is a retrospective of a body of work, some old and some not so. My first encounter with Will & Jeff was back in 86 when "Girls ain't nothin but trouble hit the UK". The version the UK heard was slightly remixed from the US version, consequently we have two different sounding tracks, I think the version on this CD is somewhere between the two. To say that some of these tracks sound old is a little mis-guided. All the tracks on here are classics in their own right. To my mind I think Will Smith peeked around the time that "Big Willie style" was released & "Code Red" was also a great moment for commercial hip hop and thankfully most of the highlights from those two albums are on this comp. Over the years Will & Jeff have been critisized for being "soft" and I think this is really unfair. Just because they found thier place in the Hip Hop/Rap/Scratch genre and played it to their benefit dosen't detract from their obvious talent. Will has been accused of selling out for going in to the movies, lets hope Pharrell doesn't get batterred for his part in Despicable Me.

I like and have always liked The Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff, they are to me the talented, educated side of Rap, not to mention the lack of explicit lyrics which seem to plague Hip hop nowadays. This is a decent compilation from the nice guys of Hip hop and it will make you tap your feet.....

Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium [DVD]
Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Bateman

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonder why they cut off the ending, 6 Jan 2014
I wanted to see this film some time ago and unfortunately never managed it. I like the cast as there is some quirkyness about them. I like the idea as movies should bring some magic in to your life. The effects are good, the styling and the look of the movie are good. The story starts a lot like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but that is ok as its not long before it goes off in its own direction. And lastly the sentiment is nice.

The bad bits are that the movie claims to be a comedy but I didn't laugh, although it was light hearted and it made me smile. There could have been more focus on the special effects, there is lots of things going on in the movie but it could have done with more. Lastly, the film ended at the good bit, I was expecting more to happen and the credits rolled in.

In short, this is not a bad film but its not a blockbuster either. As a family film it is easy to watch and it does deal with some issues that are in an easy format to understand, basically younger children can watch this and they wouldn't be confused by the plot. The characters are very non-threatening and there is a touch of rainman in the Hoffman character. My advise is watch this on a rainy Sunday afternoon as there is some warmth about the story, its just a shame that it could do with a bit more content.

Unforgettable
Unforgettable
Offered by Giant Entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Unforgettable (Audio CD)
Sad to say that this is probably the worst album in my collection. I don't want to bang on about my feelings towards the artist as its probably a case of each to their own. To start with, there are live tracks on this album, please note that they are sung well and Lou Rawls clearly can sing. Its just I prefer studio recorded tracks.

My real gripe is that this CD just dosen't seem to get going and about halfway through I found myself being irritated by the sound of his voice. I think there are two factors involved here. Firstly I think there could have been better song choices on the CD. Secondly, I should have done a bit more research before I bought it, as I beleive that it is yet again a case of the fans will love it but for me it dosen't tick all the right boxes.

Now I am expecting a load of comments to my review telling me that I am stupid or something like that, but this is only my opinion and I am sure that there are a load of people out there that will love it. However, for me it just has something missing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11