Profile for Andy Mooring > Reviews

How to Work for an Idiot: Survice and Thrive...without Killing Your Boss
How to Work for an Idiot: Survice and Thrive...without Killing Your Boss
by John Hoover

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good buy, 27 April 2012
Will keep this brief. Did not enjoy this book at all. It is very business like in its approach and I found it very easy to put down.

Have to apologise to the author for this review but it just wasn't for me.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Less dribble no quibble, 27 April 2012
Was interested by this product as it has some great designs and later found out that they are hand made. The price is good and although there are cheaper versions of this product you are not going to get the same quality. My little boy is thrilled by these, he is only young and we always show him what clothes he is going to wear before he gets dressed and he loves the designs on the bandanas. They are obviously comfortable and definately do the job. The detail of the product that you don't get from the description is that they are lined with a fleece type material which is great against the skin.

As you can imagine these do need to be washed fairly frequently and they hold up to constant washing very well. I would buy these again, although I probably won't have to as they are a very robust, quality product.

5 stars is not enough.

NU ELECTRO VOL. 4
NU ELECTRO VOL. 4
Price: 15.77

5.0 out of 5 stars ELECTRO 4, you know the score., 27 April 2012
This review is from: NU ELECTRO VOL. 4 (Audio CD)
I have been collecting Streetsounds albums (all genres)since 1982 when it all began. The original Electro series started with pure Electro tracks and as the genre evolved more hip hop style tracks came in and eventually Hip hop took over and has become the world wide smash that it is. I read a negative review on this album and was surprised to read that the reviewer disliked the fact that the first two tracks were more hip hop than Electro and has completely missed the point. The two genres go hand in hand and work well on this album. The tracks are varied and though all good there are a few stand out tracks, but you will have to have a listen to find out for yourself which ones they are. Remember this is Streetsounds, these guys broke the code in the early eighties and continue to do so. Yes the second disc is an unmixed version of the first disc which is brilliant and its a shame that the early albums didn't have an unmixed version aswell, perhaps Morgan Khan and the Streetsounds posse will re-issue the original series in a two disc version, we can only hope. In fact I used to collect Hed Kandi until all the discs became mixed, if they had have taken the mixed/un-mixed double disc route I would still be collecting them.

In short, this is a great album, its a 30th anniversary treat and I would recommend this CD to anyone, my only critisium is it took too long to release this after Nu Electro 3.

Nice one Streetsounds I look forward to Nu Electro 5

Changing Faces
Changing Faces

4.0 out of 5 stars What would you expect...?, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Changing Faces (Audio CD)
10cc, Godley & Creme, ELO & XTC All bands that you would expect to have a certain zanny quality to their work. "Changing Faces" is the culmination of many hours spent, probably under the influence of something, churning out lyrics and tunes and eventually slamming them together and achieving pop excellence. You could critisize these guys for producing some cheesy and at times sinister music, but that is the appeal. All in all this is a good mixture of tracks, some which I had forgotten and others that remain iconic. I love this album and only gave it 4 stars as it should have been a double CD, although I guess when it was originally released on vinyl it was cheaper to produce one disc.

Any chance of a Volume 2.

Rectangle Blank Puzzle (12-Pack)
Rectangle Blank Puzzle (12-Pack)
by Instructional Fair
Edition: Misc. Supplies
Price: 4.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Puzzled, most definately, 20 April 2012
As a keen art fan I am always looking for new products to use in my artwork. This product is good value, good quality and brilliant to work with. I have almost used my entire stock of these now so it won't be long before I purchase some more. My tip for using this is that if you are going to paint a picture rather than use felt pens I would recommend breaking all the bits apart before applying the paint and then rebuilding the puzzle for painting.

Enjoy.

New Soul Rebels
New Soul Rebels
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 7.96

4.0 out of 5 stars New soul rebels?, 20 April 2012
This review is from: New Soul Rebels (Audio CD)
As an avid collector of music I have recently been trying to complete my collection of the "Vybin-young soul rebels" series. After many hours searching for "Vybin vol2" with no luck I discovered that "New soul Rebels" is in fact "Vybin 2". Obviously the record label changed their format after Volume 1 & I get the feeling that "New soul Rebels" wasn't very popular, probably as it is only a one disc compilation and "Vybin" is a double. Consequently "Vybin 3" was released and so on until the series was closed on a "Best off" compilation.

Anyway, I have strayed somewhat from the compilation in question and "New soul Rebels" is what you would expect. This is a collection of some fine tracks and for those of you looking to complete a collection or replace some soul/RnB twelves this is not a disappointment. There are no surprises as the track listing is all the classics from the later 90's but they are all good. I would advise, if you haven't already done so, that you collect the other four compilations in the series, namely "Vybin, Vybin 3, Vybin 4 & Vybin the best off" as they are all great compilations, much like the "Street Vibes" series from the same era.

In short, buy this album and you won't be disappointed but if you are looking for rareties you won't find any here.

Let the vibes flow through.

Self-Adhesive Foam Letters Value Tub (Tub of 1100)
Self-Adhesive Foam Letters Value Tub (Tub of 1100)
Offered by Yellow Moon UK Ltd
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Alphabet city., 17 April 2012
I acquired this product for an art project that I am currently developing. The quantity and price are the two things that caught my attention and I am very pleased with my purchase. From a personnal perspective I would have liked the letters to have been in individual bags as it took me a couple of hours to sort them out but this is no complaint about the product. Good value for money and a quality product not to mention the prompt delivery. I would buy this product again but it may be some time before I need to.

Close Encounters of a Funky Kind
Close Encounters of a Funky Kind
Offered by reissuesdirect
Price: 15.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Close encounters.........?, 2 Feb 2012
Having been a fan of "Zoom" & "Act like you know" I thought it was time to check out more of FLB back catalogue.

Unfortunately, it would seem that I already know the best of FLB's tracks as the bulk of this album is fairly bland. FLB obviously fit in the genre of "The sound of Phily" but there are no stand out tracks other than "Zoom". I am disappointed that I am not thrilled with my purchase and I gave a rating of 3 to recognise the artists talent, just because I don't like it doesn't make it a bad album, just be prepared for the lighter sound of phily as the stompers are missing. The other let down is that "Act like you know" isn't on this album.

Best of (incl. 12" versions of 'We love you' & 'La femme accident')
Best of (incl. 12" versions of 'We love you' & 'La femme accident')
Price: 6.49

3.0 out of 5 stars OMD or OMG, 16 Sep 2011
I have a real problem with this album. I was expecting a greatest hits and I suppose that is what I got but the majority of the tracks are fairly dull. Maybe it was how I remember OMD but I feel that the selection on here fails to get moving. The tracks that I know are just as I remember them but sadly this is not the majority of the album. In addition I thought that "Sailing on the seven seas" was going to be included and it wasn't. "Maid of Orleans" and "Joan of Arc" have been swapped on the disc so they don't match the track listing, all told a bit of a mess.

However, to be fair, this is not my idea of a greatest hits but I am sure the guys in OMD are comfortable with it. All the classics are on here and albeit that I am not happy I am sure that any hardened fans will love it. Its just not what I was expecting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2012 7:08 PM BST

Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation
Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation
by Jeff Chang
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Hip Hop history and then some, 19 Aug 2011
Was recommended this book by another author that I was reading at the time. I did enjoy reading this as it was a great insight for me, I have been a fan of Electro and Rap/Hip Hop since the early 80's and it was great to read about a genre very close to my heart. However, I have to say that at times throughout and especially near to the end of the book I did struggle with the content. Politics is not my fortee and although relevant to the subject I did feel, at times it was delving a bit too deep.

I understand that civil rights and the treatment of people is a contributing factor in any movement, be it music, fashion or even politics but I am not sure that it needs to be disected to such an extreme.

That said, this is a good read, an eye opener for anyone interested in the roots of Hip hop and I would recommend it. The author certainly presents a thorough and unbiased view of the facts and as stated by many reviewers a true and honest account of the finer points of Hip hop as a lifestyle rather than just music, which is perhaps where I misunderstood the book from the start.

Not having been a part of the struggle that many of the Black & Hispanic Americans faced in the mid to later 20th Century I can never fully appreciate the gravity of what people were suffering and to a point still are. However, this book has certainly opened my eyes to it and made me understand the situation to my benefit.

It also serves to remind us all that Hip Hop isn't just about the glossy, megabucks world of the superstar rappers that we see in the media today but to reflect on the honest, grass roots beginnings of a truly creative genre of music born out of poverty and the need to shine no matter what the odds.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11