Profile for Andy Mooring > Reviews

Electro Sessions: Over 2 Hours of Classic Electro Tracks
Electro Sessions: Over 2 Hours of Classic Electro Tracks
Offered by Helen's Goodies

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what it is all about., 2 April 2015
I usually start my reviews by looking at a track listing and picking out the highlights, sadly the highlights for this compilation are the whole compilation, every track is so representative of the genre that there are no lows. Ultimately this CD illustrates the decline of Electro and the rise of Hip hop. Basically, Electro was fairly short lived as the artists were experimenting with spoken lyrics in their music from the get go, thus creating a basic form of Hip hop know as rapping and it wasn't long before the basis of any good Electro track was the vocals and not the instrumental part of the track. You could argue that Electro was resurrected when the rave scene took off nearly a decade later. That said, no complaints here as Hip hop did go from strength to strength and it is all down to the likes of the artists featured here.

This is a really good compilation and it does demonstrate how a genre can inspire a multitude of different forms of music, in short its excellent.

When Can I See You Again?
When Can I See You Again?

5.0 out of 5 stars Top tune!, 1 April 2015
Another cracker from Owl City.

Shooting Star
Shooting Star

5.0 out of 5 stars No surprises here!, 1 April 2015
This review is from: Shooting Star (MP3 Download)
If you like any other tracks by Owl City then this is another one to add to your collection.

Breakin OST (aka Breakdance)
Breakin OST (aka Breakdance)

5.0 out of 5 stars Music makes you loose control, 29 Dec. 2014
So I have read the other reviews on this album, I noticed that everyone is banging on about the tracklisting, which is great and here it is:

"Breakin'... There's No Stopping Us" by Ollie & Jerry - 4:34
"Street People" by Fire Fox - Music by (Ollie & Jerry) 3:23
"Cut It" by Re-Flex - 3:11
"Ain't Nobody" by Rufus and Chaka Khan - 4:45
"Reckless" by Ice-T - 3:57

This is probably the hardest review to do, as there is not a bad track on it, seriously its that good. I agree that perhaps the CD release could have combined the second film sound track as well as this would have filled out the disk but apart from that its pure magic.

Leap Of Faith
Leap Of Faith

5.0 out of 5 stars Do I like this album?, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Leap Of Faith (Audio CD)
Whenever you purchase an album the true test of its worth is when you play it a second time and realise that you are probably going to be playing it to death from this point onwards.

I bought this as an Incognito fan wondering what Bluey would be like as a solo artist. My opinion will be revealed at the end of my review but what I can reveal is that this feels like its full of material that isn't Incognito friendly. Basically, Bluey is a very talented musician, he knows his strengths and he also knows that producing an album in the shadow of his greatest work (Incognito) is no easy task, as he is leaving himself open to critisium. Thankfully he has put together a really good selection of great songs.

My feeling is that he is influenced by the early 90's feel of acid jazz. This is such a smooth album and so refreshing to hear. Yes it does sometimes feel a bit like his Incognito work but how can it not? However, this is a solo artist at work and it really works well.

My opinion is that this is a good album but its not just a listen once piece of work. Its good first time round but it gets better the more familiar you become with it. When I listen to it I instantly get transported to an ealier more care free time in my life. This album has it all, so take the 'Leap of faith' it really is bliss.

Mens Black Thermal Polar Fleece Gloves with 40g Thinsulate and Palm Gripper (L/XL)
Offered by Red House Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars They fit like a glove, 29 Dec. 2014
So, they are black, they are gloves made from thinsulate and they do have a palm grip, all told they are as expected.

The product did lose a star as they could have done with being a bit larger. If like me you have large hands that are borderline extra large you may find these a bit small. That said they fit me ok and they have endured -2 degrees and my hands stayed warm even on my bike, so top marks for that.

If you want cheap gloves to keep your hands warm then these are fit for purpose.

80s Groove Sessions Vol.2
80s Groove Sessions Vol.2

5.0 out of 5 stars More groove to make you move., 17 Dec. 2014
To my mind this is a superior comp when compared to Vol one.

The selection feels more underground more club orientated if you will. The mixture of styles on here are also representative of what was happening to dance music in this decade and it even includes some Electro in the form of Tyrone Brunsons "The Smurf". Plus there are some longer more 12" type mixes on here as well.

All told, this is a great comp and well worth the purchase.

80s Groove Sessions - Classics From A Golden Era In Dance Music
80s Groove Sessions - Classics From A Golden Era In Dance Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance music 80's style., 17 Dec. 2014
It is always difficult to review an album that states "Classics" on the cover, as we all have a different idea of what is or is not a classic. The 80's Groove genre is very difficult to define in as much that the music of this time was so varied. Personally, I would have liked to have seen "Mine all mine" by Cashflow or "You & me tonight" by Aurra on this comp, this is my personal choice and perhaps some would disagree.

I am very glad that the compiler of this did not add any of the later 80's dance tracks(Jack your body,Can you party etc)as is too often the case with this type of comp. Personaly, I like the tracks on here as they are varied and fairly representative of the genre and I can recommend volume two which does feature some longer 12 inch versions. All in all this is worth buying as there are no filler tracks and very good value for money. With any luck a Volume three will be released to pick up those "Classics" that have been missed out "I should have loved ya" by Narada, "Mine all mine" by Cashflow,"You & me tonight" by Aurra and "Operator" by Midnight Star to name a few.

Aquostic (Stripped Bare)
Aquostic (Stripped Bare)

5.0 out of 5 stars "On & off and..." definately back on again, 17 Dec. 2014
What can you say about Status Quo, love them or hate them you cannot ignore the facts. Longevity of career is a great way to measure talent and Parfit & Rossi have it in abundance.

So what about the album, its loaded with hits, its easy to sing along to and in my mind its genius. Finally, the guys have nailed down a credible album that shows off their talent for both song writing and musical ability.

I am not a huge Quo fan as my parents would play them all through my younger years and to like music your parents like is not what most kids do. What I have discovered by listening to this is that all the songs are catchy and lend themselves to an acoustic set beauifly. My impression is that the guys enjoyed making this album and it does show in the music. If you want to experience this album in its glory, get your relatives round and have an old fashioned knees up to a truly special piece of work.

Finally listen to the accordianist on most of the tracks as you can really feel their musical input.

I truly like this album as it has a real warmth about it that just makes me smile.

Twisted Disco 01.03
Twisted Disco 01.03

4.0 out of 5 stars ... recently stopped buying any new releases as I don't like the Ministry of Sound layout for the new compilations, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Twisted Disco 01.03 (Audio CD)
As a Kandi purist I have recently stopped buying any new releases as I don't like the Ministry of Sound layout for the new compilations. Putting my bitter & twisted views of the new era of Hed Kandi aside, I decided that I would fill the gaps in my collection by buying back catalogue. I am no expert so I can't tell you what genre of house this is but I like what I like and this cd is no bad thing. Its worth mentioning that this is now the best part of a decade old so we are crusing the nostagia highway and the view is breathtaking, there are even tracks on here that I didn't like back in the day which are now worth listening to. I beleive that when Mark Doyle left the Kandi club it was the begining of the end and thankfully what we have here is a reminder that there was a time when Hed Kandi ruled the sound waves. its good to look back its even better when the soundtrack is twisted...............hold on though.......there is one tiny thing that bugs me about this cd, its almost worth not mentioning but its niggling me, its the cover, not the girls on the front, the back, its brown and in my opinion its a bad choice and makes it look a bit drab.........thats it ....enjoy!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12