Profile for statuescher > Reviews

Fluke LVD2 Volt Light / Voltage Tester
Fluke LVD2 Volt Light / Voltage Tester
Offered by toolsdown

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pro Choice, 16 Dec. 2012
Don't take chances when working with electrics, much better than the cheap screwdriver type testers which are only good for checking fuses! If in doubt get a qualified electrician in.

Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Offered by Online Pet Doors

5.0 out of 5 stars Flaptastic!, 17 Nov. 2012
Recommend this over other similar products because of the ease of use and battery operation rather than requiring a power point nearby (please see my separate review of the Pet Porte). Very easy to fit to the double glazed door in our new house using the accessories for that purpose and replaced the existing flap which other cats were able to enter by. The opening is slightly smaller than the Pet Porte so if you have a very large cat that might be a decider in your purchasing decision. Thanks

Fein FMM250TP Multi-Master Top Plus 240V  (Old Version)
Fein FMM250TP Multi-Master Top Plus 240V (Old Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fein and Dandy!, 17 Nov. 2012
This is a interesting tool with a variety of uses - I bought the Select Plus Kit which has additional accessories as that seemed better value overall and I would have everything I needed straight away but it is still over £200 so quite an investment. Initial impression is that the tool is well built and has a solid feel in the hand - fairly weighty but I don't see that as a disadvantage as it appears to indicate the quality and robustness of components. I registered online with Fein to get the 3 year warranty which is no additional cost and a good indication of their confidence in the product. The case is very good quality so should last and protect the contents well, the liner is moulded polystyrene for the tool to fit into so that might get damaged with long term use however. There are a couple of inner plastic containers at the front of the case, with their own snap shut lids, for accessories and a good selection therein of sanding pads and the fitments for the vacuum cleaner dust extraction accessory. One observation is that the vacuum cleaner dust extraction tube is quite thin plastic so you would need to take care of that to avoid splitting - it does not seem to be as robust and good quality plastic as the other accessories provided so I will have to see how that bears up. Usage - fairly noisy and a bit more than I expected having looked at review / advertising videos of the product in use online. There is a speed control but I have not explored the use and reason for changing the speed yet so can't comment on how useful that is. Fitting accessories is via a lever on the top at the front which has a cam action to clamp a removable pin with a large head that retains the accessories onto a star shaped boss. The star interlock means you can rotate the tool heads to get the angle you want and then lock in place with the lever. I understand that earlier models used a threaded pin which required a Allen key to lock in place so this seems more convenient and no tool to lose! The lever is quite stiff in use but perhaps it will loosen in time? The sanding sheets are Velcro backed and perforated for dust extraction and you have a choice of a triangular (perforated and non perforated tool heads) or a larger circular tool head, the sheets seem to stick to the pads very well. There are also a variety of cutting, scraping and grinding accessories provided which should cover most jobs. I tried some sanding on a Velux Window where the varnish had peeled and the Fein was able to get to all those hard to reach areas which I can't reach with the palm sander and it absolutely whizzed though the job! I think you could go through the supply of abrasive sheets fairly quickly so it would be worth stocking up. I bought the Fein to assist with renovating an old house and it has come into it's own for awkward cutting and grinding jobs. I always seem to come across situations where my current power tools can't be used because of their size and inability to get the cutting edge safely onto the job and then have to resort to hand tools. The Fein is great for things like trimming off old pipe ends, cutting the bases of door mouldings to fit flooring under or other similar fiddly jobs.

DeWalt DW908 18V Cordless Flashlight
DeWalt DW908 18V Cordless Flashlight

5.0 out of 5 stars Flash Light but for Dewalt Users only!, 3 Nov. 2012
A great torch / flashlight if, as mentioned by other reviewers, you already have Dewalt 18v cordless tools with the appropriate batteries and charger as otherwise it would be uneconomic. The casing is the usual Dewalt construction and feels like it will be robust in use - I am not sure about the weatherproofing but it would likely perform the same as any other cordless power tool so I would not recommend using in heavy rain! I like that the weight of the battery acts as a stand for the torch / flashlight and it won't fall over too easily. You can twist the head so that it is in line or at a variety of angles to direct the beam. I don't personally find the overall weight with the battery, mentioned in other reviews, a problem as I think when working you are more likely to put the torch down so the weight is actually an advantage to keep it stable. The quality of light is nice and bright and lit up my loft well and I don't feel the need to be able to adjust the beam. There is a space under the lamp head/reflector (which screws off) to store a spare bulb and a spare is included which I appreciate. The base of the rear of the handle has a aperture for a lanyard to be attached but I doubt I will use it. As my Dewalt drill came with 3 batteries in the kit I don't see that I would ever have an issue with one battery being on charge and only having the the choice between drill or torch but if your kit only has two batteries you might want to consider the logistics. I looked at reviews of other rechargeable torches but none of them were very positive so I think this is an excellent alternate but only if you have already bought into the Dewalt 18v system.

Pet Porte Door Microchip Cat Flap - New updated version PetPorte
Pet Porte Door Microchip Cat Flap - New updated version PetPorte

3.0 out of 5 stars Left Flapping!, 25 Jan. 2012
I agree with some of the other reviews regarding use of the Pet Porte cat flap. We have had ours for at least 2 years and it has stopped working now so I am going to replace it with a battery operated model from another manufacturer (Sureflap) which is also microchip operated. We have two cats so it has endured quite a lot of use.
Good Points:
1. Microchip operated so only let's your own cats in once they have been 'registered' with the unit.
2. Fairly neat looking.
3. Mains powered so no batteries to change.
4. One of our quite large 5KG+ cats can fit through!
Bad Points:
1. Mains powered from a transformer plug so you will need a permanent socket nearby.
2. The quite thin 2 core cable from the transformer has to stretch across the door to a socket in the underside of the unit which means it can easily be pulled out which also means the cat flap won't work (the plug / socket connection does not have any retainer to stop it being pulled out).
3. Because of the above the cable could be damaged quite easily (was also worried about our cats chewing the cable but at least it is low voltage!). I suppose you could spiral wrap the cable or something to make it more durable.
4. The cable is quite long and cannot be easily shortened so has to be wound / tied up to keep it neat. No cable management accessories or clips were included with our cat flap so this aspect has not really been considered as part of the overall design.
3. It was quite awkward to fit (maybe down to the solid door construction) and I felt it would have been quite easy to break the plastic parts if you are not careful when fitting, however in fairness it has been durable in use.
4. The functions are quite complicated and the buttons are not intuitive (another reviewer has talked about this in depth and I agree) - who wants to have to pull the manual out (which you have probably mislaid anyway) to refer to instructions.
5. The clear plastic flap is quite awkward to clean and it would be better if it was removable so that you could wash it separately and this would also make it easier to clean the tunnel more easily.
5. Ours has stopped working now so I am not best pleased having paid what I consider quite a lot of money for a product I expected to last longer.

Overall it's a great idea and the microchip detection works very well to stop unwanted feline visitors. With some improvements it could be a great product. I will see how I go with the competitors product and provide a review for that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2013 9:37 PM BST

The Guardian and the Observer
The Guardian and the Observer

2.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive, 22 Jan. 2012
Not a patch on the printed version, maybe the format as a colour screen would provide a better look. Missing lots of the graphics and pictures which enliven and add information to stories. My main problem is the price though so have cancelled my subscription. These comments seem to apply to all the Kindle versions of newspapers.

Trade Quality 800amp 6 Metres Professional Jump Leads
Trade Quality 800amp 6 Metres Professional Jump Leads
Offered by Simply 4 U

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Duty!, 20 Jan. 2012
These seem to be very heavy duty and whilst not the cheapest re-assured that I should be able to get a good jump start now if I need it. They are heavy and quite bulky so will take up some space in the boot but they do come in a zip up case. However a call out from a garage is about £100 so if you don't have Home Start or any breakdown cover these could be worth the investment. Do make sure you read your owners manual to ensure that you follow the correct connection procedure - on my car one of the leads has to be connected to the body of the vehicle and not both leads to the battery terminals as I had originally thought. Thanks
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2012 6:06 PM GMT

2 Moreinks Compatible Large Black Printer Ink Cartridges to replace Canon PGI-5BK
Offered by More Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars Use These!, 20 Jan. 2012
Have ordered these cartridges a few times for my Canon Pixma printer. No problems and so much cheaper than Canon branded. I did try some other types but these are the best I have found. Thanks

10 Moreinks Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges to replace Canon PGI-5 / CLI-8
10 Moreinks Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges to replace Canon PGI-5 / CLI-8
Offered by More Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars Use these!, 20 Jan. 2012

BISSELL 1200B SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner Carpet Cleaner
BISSELL 1200B SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner Carpet Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Cleaner, 7 Sept. 2011
Bought the Bissell to clean up small spills and marks on our carpets. Used it already to clean a quite large coffee spill and impressed with the power for such a small unit and the convenience of use. I did order some additional fluids at the same time so as not to run out in future. A compact unit which can be stored in our under-stairs cupboard and not like some of the large uprights which we don't have room for. I think this will be great for those little accidents and then we will employ a professional for a full clean from time to time when we need it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15