Profile for Darren Azzopardi > Reviews

Content by Darren Azzopardi

Darren Azzopardi (East Yorkshire, Hull)

Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics
Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics
by Brian Clifton

5.0 out of 5 stars An Analytical Hard-on, 3 July 2012
I cannot tell you how much this book has opened my eyes to what is possible with GA. I knew there was potential but what you can achieve is really good.
The information present in this kick ass book gives you the data you need to tell who ever owns a site that you need to understand everything and wehter you think your website fits in their ethos, it should be considered.

Monetizing your site, as the authors says gives you the language to talk to your boss and say, 'Look, you're losing money here. Lets do something about it..'

I didn't read this all in one go thought, I had read it gradually.

I recommend this book, alot.

A Practical Guide to Designing for the Web (Five Simple Steps)
A Practical Guide to Designing for the Web (Five Simple Steps)
by Mark Boulton
Price: 29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sex arrived through my letter box!, 23 Jun 2009
I had been waiting to get this book since it was announced via twitter, I visited the site regularly and looked at the pictures on its flickr account.

Don't judge a book by its cover-that saying is a load of tosh. Looking at the front cover you know it's going to be interesting. The design is just sexy, simple, but gosh I do like it.

Waiting for this book felt like an eternity. For coincidence the book arrived the same day my second daughter was born. I had to travel back to collect some clothes. As I opened the door I felt the resistance of the book on the mat. I slowly opened it. Like a holy grail or some other sacred artifact I could hear a choir in the background and a golden halo appear as I held it up. The thing was I couldn't read it until the baby saga had ended and we got into a routine. The tension was building inside.

Any way...

I have no graphic design training at all but over the years the same factors came popping up. Typography, grids, golden section, colour theory, to name but a few. I personally needed to understand these elements, back to basics as it where.

This is where I feel this book is vital. You can search the net for tutorials and articles on these subjects but what I needed was a reference, a source I know that has good foundation. This is it.

The book gives you a look into what a web designer has to consider, and informs you on the techniques to achieve it.

I love that the book has armed with specific areas to get better in, so in a way a new journey for me begins.

You won't be disappointed by this book...

Everything You Know about CSS is Wrong!
Everything You Know about CSS is Wrong!
by Rachel Andrew
Price: 16.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Look beyond the title, 1 Feb 2009
I read the title and I was intrigued..."Everything I know about CSS is wrong?!" This cannot be! I've read nearly all(obviously not all but just the good ones) the books and have been designing sites...oohh for nearly 10 years now..I be damned if its all wrong.

The title itself puts you in an awkward position, I read the book thinking, "Ok, so impress me." Take the title for what it is, its just a statement, an opinion, one to get you interested and start a debate. And as you read on its confirmed in the Preface.

The book then opens you up to the world of CSS with tables... "ahh...eeek!" you say. With the impending release of IE8 the selector display, can now be utilised in a way to resurrect the table design.

Whilst the book mentions tables (well to be honest the whole of the book is dedeicated to table design) I dont get the impression that its forced on me, like saying this is the new way because...blah blah.. it gives you another angle to work with. Designers that use CSS have used hacks to make this and that work, so for me personally it does question some aspects of CSS, has it been used properly?

It then dives deeper into what we can expect from CSS3, and im personally excited about this.

What I have learnt from it is that as designers we have to be aware of whats new and constantly be on the lookout for ways of arming ourselves with new skills.

Reading the existing reviews of this book reminds me of the attitudes of designers who loved using tables....that was their method and it worked, all the time, their work rate was efficient. So for something new to come along and question it...ooohh thats going to make them unhappy.

One thing I would say is that this book would have been better if it was made available from sitepoint as a pdf book,free ofcourse. Its just too thin...saying that I am glad I purchased it.

This book should get you thinking...thats all...and thats good.

PHP 6 and MySQL 5 for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide (Visual QuickPro Guides)
by Larry Ullman

5.0 out of 5 stars A great foundation..., 15 Aug 2008
I was keen to learn a server side langauage and if I'm honest was always leaning towards the PHP/Mysql combo.

I was constantly looking online for tutorials to grasp the basics of this language but for me, I'm old school and prefer an actual book I can hold and use as a reference.

I purchased this book purely because of the reviews. This book deserves all the praise it gets.

From someone who had little knowledge of PHP, I can easily look at the code, understand it and if a problem occurs apply debugging methods as taught in this book. The odd occassional semicolon here and there seems to slip in.

My skills in web desin consisted of XHTML and CSS so I felt I had to get skilled in a different area. I'm glad I chose PHP and even happier I purchased this book.

As mentioned in the title, I feel I have a great foundation in PHP/MySQL and I'm keen to learn more and create my own dynamic projects.