Profile for Read It Yourself > Reviews

Prey (ITV) [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Simm
Price: 10.40

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 out of 3 aint bad!, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Prey (ITV) [DVD] (DVD)
And so the cat and mouse chase is on! The first 2 eps were gripping but the last one fell flat but luckily I was still interested enough to want to know how it ended. As TV goes it really is very good, shame theres no Blu-ray as that really does it justice. the hyper movements of the camera from the off are utterly gripping. 10 out of 10 for adrenaline! Simm gives an utterly compelling performance as the man on the run. The feral beasts out to ruin him make this a fight for life, and you really get carried along with it, and what it might be like - what would you do if you were him? Life lived at this pace is utterly exhilirating! Just a shame about the last episode, it properly sags, but somehow I'm there til the end. FOR THE TRUTH!

The Take Off And Landing Of Everything (The Take Off and Landing of Everything)
The Take Off And Landing Of Everything (The Take Off and Landing of Everything)
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Landing, 15 Mar 2014
A nice listen, it seems to be hellbent on a really slow beginning like the Manics and their despair at the present government.

The craftmanship is good in Elbow, they are philosophers and can make you drift off - the last album certainly did.

If I'm honest I bought this for my dad, but appreciate a listen myself. Not bad for a fiver.

Nothing much big round the corner, it's more like a musical ride.

Insomnia [DVD] [2002]
Insomnia [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Insomniacs know the torture, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Insomnia [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Did I ever know what insomnia is? Sure it's not being able to sleep, but what does it do to you??

I think I know now, as I can feel myself addressing it right here, I've been up for nearly 17 hours. But at least I can sleep, this guy can go 5 days without a blink.

The film seems to say something about small town mentalities and what it's like living in one. I'm from one and I recognize certain aspects of human behaviours and attitiudes. Al Pacino's character holds it together as best he can - the interesting fact being that he has had to cut corners throughout his career and they are catching up with him more than he will catch up with sleep. He is tormented by this and makes another serious mistake. That scene is in the fog - again, great attention to detail as I was driving in the fog a couple of nights ago (naturally).

He is trying to catch a child killer in the form of Mrs Doubt..No, that's Robin Williams of course, he's taking on a serious role and you do wish he'd taken on more since, cos it shows you another side to him and it's good. Williams torments Pacino throughout and you get the impression that Pacino is fighting the tide of opinion, in a town happy to settle for any result.

Overall this is a good man fading away, tormented by his demons and the past. It is gripping and it really feels like this manhunt is taking place in the wild west, except this is Alaska, a place where it's always light...

This film had a profound effect on me, especially when you consider we've had the Batman trilogy off this director since. It's moody and the eternal appeal for me is that it is the portrayal of a man trying to keep his head above water whilst doing the very important job of catching someone dangerous. It shows you what life is like in moments of personal turmoil and gives you a real insight into what survival means at that point. Moving.

Captain Phillips [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Captain Phillips [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Price: 9.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Bare Bones Operation, 15 Mar 2014
First off it's a great film and a really good story.

I liked how it addresses certain issues about the pressures of the modern world and the basic instinct of survival, and young people finding their barefeet in this world. (checking for glass).

The intensity is good, The Bourne Ultimatum's director is on board, but he doesn't beat about the bush. The things I like in a film are locations, I want to be able to take in the views, landscape and scenery. I felt there was not enough of this, and the camera is hooked on the action - This also hinders the project when you consider how long the middle scene of the film is. Of course the intensity is rightly there, this is a true story afterall, but there was just no background action in play, it was full steam ahead and you do start wishing they'd... (won't spoil it).

So, this film is good and it gets the awards - true stories are enough for most, seeing them adorn the silver screen - ooh, look! That happened in reality. But I just wonder if it could've possibly yanked it's head out of 'Bourne' mode once in a while, a little something on mainland. It ends abruptly too - it's a good ending, but abrupt. Would have liked to have seen a bit more relationship between Philips and Muse, cos I really feel like there was something to follow up there, I mean it's been a few years now. When you think of Castaway and how it gently lands and gives you something to think about, I was expecting more of that - 'Scenery for thought' would be good.

But at least this film does give you something to think about, the pressures of life etc. Just wish it didn't push us off a cliff and leave us dangling! That Somalian character calling him 'Irish', you want to know more about him...

House of Fools - Series 1 [DVD] [2014]
House of Fools - Series 1 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Vic Reeves
Price: 13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Going NUTS!, 22 Feb 2014
BBC have only themselves to blame for poor ratings -when you look at how a mere BBC3 show such as Uncle can be promoted across the BBC like no-one's business - and you see how little HoF gets promoted, you have to wonder why they are not repeating this a bit.

New shows are now falling victim to iPlayer because the BBC seems more hellbent on promoting THAT than the show itself - therefore it only gets one airing.

Now to the show itself. A great show, let them go mad with it now - let them stockpile it because it deserves to be. Let Vic n Bob go nuts with it, theres such potential. Along with the excellent Matt Berry this show has legs.

But if they do cancel it, then they need to remember that they have forgotten how to advertise men's shows. This kind of entertainment was once upon a time at the forefront of our tellies, during primetime, now it is shunted to Tuesday nights and they expect people to NOTICE it?

Don't get me wrong, as a fan I appreciate them at least being commissioned, but, as ever, the BBC is being confusing with this DVD - January 2015?!

What planet do they live on??
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2014 1:09 PM BST

The Dark Knight Rises (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
The Dark Knight Rises (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by MediaMine
Price: 6.59

4.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't for the kids!!, 1 Dec 2012
OK. 'The Dark Knight' captured my imagination in so many ways. It was so good, that my ticket for this IMAX presentation was booked in 2008.

But what a wait!

And now I find myself still waiting. And waiting. And waiting. I guess they just wanted to capture the Christmas market.

But that's my point, I wanted to see this out right to the end. And when it FINALLY arrives this week through my letterbox - I will be able to achieve closure.

So I certainly can't imagine getting hyped up about a film franchise like this again.

I can now grow up!

Blackpool FC Season Review 2010/11 [DVD]
Blackpool FC Season Review 2010/11 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Holloway
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 12.61

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Trip!, 30 Jun 2011
Blackpool Rocks! This much is true.

22/5/09 - The arrival of Saint Holloway
22/5/10 - Promotion to the Premiership at Wembley
22/5/11 - Heartbreak at Old Trafford - (I reckon it could've been 3-3 without the own goal and just one more shot on target earlier on)

27/6/11 - This DVD arrives through my letterbox and a joy to behold for future generations it sure is.

I can remember us sitting on the Wigan stand behind the goal for our first game of the season, in the baking heat, it was funny having a great view of 3 of the 4 goals but it wasn't like we could celebrate!

This DVD is a really good collection of goals, an inside and outside look at our season, incluiding interviews. It contains historical archive footage of first division action 40 years ago. Great editing too, some very funny shots and it really does feel like you're there experiencing the excitement of those top flight games. The new East stand only 5 minutes old and playing host to the biggest fans in the game, I attended way more games than I thought I would, including Man U, Tottenham and Chelsea.

What a season, what a ride, we were the team that livened up proceedings pretty much wherever we played, no-one had a bad word to say about us, well apart from Preston..! Thanks to Charlie Adam, Puncheon, Vaughan, Campbell and everyone for making the game interesting, this DVD is for keeps. Really glad I bought this, glad all over.

A REAL story, and one worth telling in a modern game run by the money men and big teams.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2012 9:30 PM GMT

Ashes to Ashes Series 3 [DVD] [2010]
Ashes to Ashes Series 3 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Keeley Hawes
Price: 8.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Play-off Final, 4 July 2010
It was Friday night. We were in Watford - like Gene Hunt we had travelled South. To kick the arses of those Welsh nancies - Cardiff. Err, yes if you haven't guessed, it was the eve of Blackpool Vs Cardiff.

ONLY such a match at Wembley could make me risk seeing the last Ashes.. Clamouring to get to our hotel in time for 9PM like so - The start of the last ever dose of Gene Hunt.

On a crappy TV I watched it, and even then it felt so dark, gritty. What it lacks in humour it makes up for in depth. We've come so far with these characters - much loved too they are, so it seems only right to bid them a fitting farewell. I type this now as I order the last series.

This really is the end. No, really, it is. The last association I will ever have with this most inspring telly series.

I have seen it out to the end.

Goodbye the Guv. I filmed Blackpool thrashing Cardiff that weekend. Guess what my soundtrack to that video will be? You'll have to watch the end of this to find out!

I was happy. Hope you're happy too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2014 9:05 AM GMT