Profile for Paul's Reviews > Reviews

Paul's Reviews

Logitech G700 Gaming Laser Mouse Cordless
Logitech G700 Gaming Laser Mouse Cordless

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints, 9 May 2013
This is a really good mouse. Very smooth to use and just the right weight for me (just as well as the weight is not adjustable).
I like being able to turn on/off the mouse-wheel-ratchet and there are plenty of configurable buttons to make oft used tasks closer to hand.
I'm not a gamer but I like being able to configure profiles to use with different applications (e.g. photo editing) - would be great if the mouse could detect what application you are using and switch profiles automatically but it is easy enough to hit the switch on the mouse.
Other commentators have complained about battery usage but I've had no problems at all. I don't have it on the most extreme power hungry settings and I generally switch it off when not in use (switch on the underside) and plug it in to charge every few nights when I remember.
You don't have to be a gamer to appreciate a good mouse/keyboard. If (like most office workers) you have to spend more time every day holding your mouse than your partner's/children's hands then you may as well invest in a quality mouse.

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Elite Mechanical Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Elite Mechanical Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for typing, 9 May 2013
I wasn't sure that a mechanical keyboard was really all that superior to a normal one, but having received this as a birthday present I am totally convinced. Typing on this keyboard is quicker, more precise and far more enjoyable with great tactile and audible feedback. If you type much at all, a keyboard like this is an absolute joy to use. I don't play games much so cannot comment on that aspect but for typing this is so much more satisfying.

The illumination is fine - only the one colour (green) but you can adjust the brightness.

Things to note:
- The keyboard is HEAVY and does not slide easily, so you won't be flipping between having the keyboard out and papers on your desk.
- No dedicated media keys (you use Function button and F Keys), though to be fair, this does save space and you can always program the macro keys for these tasks.
- Only one USB slot in the keyboard - two (or more) would have been nice - but still useful for thumb drives.

So why only four stars when the typing action is so amazing? The software set up was terrible (I'm using fully patched Windows 7). Installs, uninstalls, updates, reboots and constantly getting messages from the configurator that I did not have the keyboard attached. After an evening of messing around I finally got the software and keyboard talking to each other. For such a premium product the software install process should be seamless.

In summary an amazing physical product but the software installation process needs some serious work.