Profile for Betsy > Reviews

Content by Betsy

Betsy "Betsy" (Yorkshire, UK)

Southern Romance
Southern Romance

3.0 out of 5 stars Good plot..., 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Southern Romance (Kindle Edition)
The storyline had a lot if promise and it played out quite well. However, I got very frustrated with the horrendous number of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. Also in some cases situations were confusingly described it could be quite hard to follow. I did enjoy the premise of the story just needs a good edit...

MAID in the USA (The BAD BOY BILLIONAIRES Series Book 2)
MAID in the USA (The BAD BOY BILLIONAIRES Series Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit to stereotypical, 1 Sept. 2013
An enjoyable read but it felt like it was trying too hard to be a typical harlequin/mills and boon. It seemed the author was almost following a tried and tested formula, the rich, good looking hero, the innocent and slightly damaged heroine, a small charge that brings them together. Add in the jealous socialite and tragedy and you have a story written and rewritten many times over.
An easy read and a good way to fill a couple of hours.

The Chase (Fast Track (Berkley))
The Chase (Fast Track (Berkley))
by Erin McCarthy

1.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Live Up To Expectations, 10 Jun. 2011
So far I have enjoyed the Fast Track series by Erin McCarthy but after reading the online reviews for The Chase I was bracing myself to be let down and I indeed was.
The story centres around two characters that were in love while teenagers, but, due to a pathetic misunderstnading break up. The characters predictably get back together when they are forced to work together on the motor racing circiut and have to break down barriers that could stop them being together.
I found the story lacking for a few reasons. The characters seemed to be quite petulent as both teenagers and adults, the renewal of their relationship seemed to take no effort, it was mearly a means to place a series of trails in the characters way stopping them from achieving happiness, but mainly the twist in the tail, that has been given away in another review, left me feeling quite empty at the end of the story. While I felt, especially in the world of sport and celebrity, it was a plausable storyline, it is not a twist I expect in this genre of book played out in the way it was. I was left feeling the characters would not achieve their happy ever after 5, 10, 15 years down the line, I began to imagine a life where the heroine in particular was never going to be truly happy which is not the feeling I like have at the end of book. I like my romance books, whatever their nature to leave smiling and this one did not. Maybe it was just not a story ready to be told and the characters needed to grow up a bit more first.
On a more positive note I enjoyed visiting with characters from previous books, it can be great to catch up with the people you met over a series.
Not enjoying this book will not stop me continuing to read the series but I hope the next book fits in with the series better and leaves me glowing.

Behind Closed Doors (McCloud Brothers)
Behind Closed Doors (McCloud Brothers)
by Shannon Mckenna

5.0 out of 5 stars So Hot I Nearly Burnt My Fingers!, 27 Jun. 2007
This is the first book I read by Shannon McKenna and, well...wow! I have to admit when I bought the book I had only read the synopsis on a website, I was not prepared for the blantent sexuality which is present troughout all her books. Raine is trying to get closer to her employer to find the truth behind the death of her father, leading her straight into the arms of Seth, a ruthless security expert who has been watching Raine for some time. Both trying to get closer to Victor the pair start a brutal affair which gets hearts pounding faster and faster. Shannon writes scenes which fit the context of her stories, though it is sometimes hard to understand why her heroines would fall for the heros when they display such violent possesive behaviour and go out of there way to make there bed partner surrender. There are no flowery edges to the love scenes in her books but that is exactly what we need these days. Have we not had enough of the 'love making' in the majority if romance books and the frankly amusing euphemisms for parts of the body! Don't misunderstand, I, like many other women enjoy the likes of Nora Roberts and her comtempories, but it is a refreshing to read a sexually candid book which targets what women secretly desire, becuase as much as our brain cannot understand any woman wanting to be overpowered, deep down this is exactly what we want to read about. I would recomend all of Shannon's books, bit they should carry a warning, not for the faint hearted.

All About Men
All About Men
by Shannon McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars Scortching Re-Release, 27 Jun. 2007
As other reviews have stated this is a collection of novellas by Shannon Mckenna. If you have read the colletions Bad Boys Next Exit, I Break For Bad Boys or All Through the Night, PLEASE do not be fooled.

Causing Havoc (Sbc Fighters)
Causing Havoc (Sbc Fighters)
by Lori Foster

5.0 out of 5 stars My heart beats for her heros!, 27 Jun. 2007
Ok, so it sounds sappy, sloppy and, lets face it, sometimes quite sad, but I am in love with many, many men, all created by Lori Foster. I have been an avid reader of Lori's books for many years that I (almost) physically yearn for the next, and Causing Havoc was no exception. No matter how many women try to deny it the allure of a strong man can be powerful. Dean "Havoc" Connor is a fighter who returns to his home town to rescue the sisters he never thought he would see again, you cannot fail to fall for this man. Reading the emotional journey of this champion fighter makes you heart beat faster. He is not only a champion in the ring but to his reunited family, his friends and Eve the amazing woman he meets on his return, going out of his way to save all of them in one way or another. The story grabs you quickly and you yearn for every piece of additional information about all the characters (don't even get me started on Deans fighter friends!). My only complaint is that, to my knowledge, these men do not really exist, but if anyone has evidence to the contrary please let me know, I would love to meet them!!!